Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have M1 Garand that I would like to use some this hunting season for white tail deer or hog.(I do have the 5 round clip.) I hunt in west Florida so the deer and hogs are not real big. The two handloads I have are about equal in accuracy. I do not have a chrony but the Hogdon manual load data says these loads should be around 2800fps. My loads consist of 48 Grains H4985 CCI 34 primers in either Winchester or Federal brass and with the Horandy or Speer bullet. Which of these bullets would be best to hunt with?

Thanks

358win.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im partial to the SSTs, they do very well on deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will assume that most of your shots will be under 150 or so yards.

My experience with the Hornady 150 SST is that it is rather frangible and destructive, but very accurate. My choice of the two would be the Speer soft point, and I would be inclined to try the Hornady InterLok.

I've only shot three deer with the SST, but all displayed the same bullet performance. Violent expansion at the point of impact and very little penetration. The Speer HotCors I've used have always fully penetrated, even with a double shoulder shot. All of these shots were 50 yard-ish.

The rifle I used is a .308, and velocity is about what your load should be running.

If your shots are going to consistently be 200+ yards, I would think that the SST would be a great bullet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 358win
I have M1 Garand that I would like to use some this hunting season for white tail deer or hog.(I do have the 5 round clip.) I hunt in west Florida so the deer and hogs are not real big. The two handloads I have are about equal in accuracy. I do not have a chrony but the Hogdon manual load data says these loads should be around 2800fps. My loads consist of 48 Grains H4985 CCI 34 primers in either Winchester or Federal brass and with the Horandy or Speer bullet. Which of these bullets would be best to hunt with?

Thanks

358win.

At close ranges, if you keep them in the lungs, even the SSTs will do fine.

If you are worried about penetration at high impact velocities, then use the Interbond slugs .

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Either one would be perfect for deer hunting. I've killed a large pile of deer with SST's in my 7mm-08 with no problems. They are a tad soft so they may not exit, but they do turn the heart and lungs into a liquid pulp. That said, I reloaded some 150 grain Speer BTSP's for my .30-06 and I killed a deer with one of them with no problems. I got really good accuracy with them and a really nice exit hole to boot. I'd probrably choose the Speer bullet if I had them just because they will probrably exit most of the time. But either one will work fine on a deer.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For deer, hogs and antelopes, IMHO, it's hard to beat the SST. They're about as accurate as the NBT and not as friable. They're not so stiff as to blow through a deer sized target, but not so friable as to create big entrance wounds.

Speer bullets are great, probably sleepers in the world of bullet marketing. Their Grand Slam is an excellent bullet, standing toe to toe with about any premium bullet currently on the market. They just don't have the B.C.'s of some of the others but have stellar terminal performance on game.

Between the two bullets the OP listed, I'd have to go with the one my rifle liked the best.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would also go with the Speer Hot Core over the Hornady SST. Of course if you throw in the Hornady Inter-Lock, I'd have to think about it. Big Hornady fan but don't like shooting bullet's with plastic tips at game animals. That tip has to go somewhere on impact and I'm guessing right into the bullet, like a wedge. Speer Hot Cores are to me the first premium bullet worth shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot the 165gr SST out of my '06 for deer in NC. It kills deer like lightning and the bullet has always exited. I'd be a little leary of a '06 shooting a 150gr SST if ranges are close. But, Florida deer are smaller than northern deer, so you might be ok.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

My .308 had a distinct preference for flat-based projectiles. The Speer 150 HotCor spitzer shot better than any of the boattails I tried.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think a Southern whitetail shot into the vitals with a 150 grain .308" SST started at 2800 fps from a reasonable angle (including through a shoulder) is going to do anything but die quickly. At least that's been my experience with the factory loaded Hornady Custom Ammo .30-06 150 grain SST on a southern deer and a pronghorn at ranges from 25 to 30 yards (impact velocity close to 2800 fps). I shot a javelina at less than 10 yards, and there wasn't a problem there, either. Yes, there was considerable expansion at close range, but penetration hasn't been a problem in my experience.

Based on my experiences, I consider the 150 grain .308" SST a go-to bullet for Southern whitetails and pronghorns at .30-06 velocities, even at close range. Haven't noticed really much difference between the Winchester 150 gr Power Point and the Hornady 150 gr SST at spitting distances (10 to 40 yards). I think the old Core-Lokt (late '80s/early '90s vintage) was a little tougher than the Power Point and SST from what I've seen (I haven't used the current generation of Core-Lokts, so I can't comment on them).

IC B3

358win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all replies.
If I get a chance to take a deer or hog I will report the results.

358win

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.