Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1040 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Savage 24V 30/30 over 20ga. I bought it several years ago. Shortly thereafter something apparently broke inside. The lever would not turn and therefore the barrel would not break open. I opened it up and determined that the "top snap sleeve" looked worn. I put it back together and put it in the safe, thinking I'll get to it next week.

10 years later, I'm thinning the herd, found the 24 and decided to fix it up to sell. Ordered the parts, a top snap lever, top snap sleeve and top snap screw (parts 25, 50 & 51, on the Gun Parts Corp schematic.)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=3944

After two blood soaked band aids, scuffed knees from searching for the launched locking bolt plunger and related springs, I get it reassembled.

It does not open. Without the locking bolt plunger, the lever works fine and the barrel breaks open easily. With the plunger, the lever will not turn. I made sure the spring flanges were against the receiver frame to avoid binding the lever. I do not see anything binding.

The only thing I can think of is the hole into which the locking bolt plunger resides is binding.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd hazard a guess that you were right about the plunger hole.

The 24 is almost exactly like the 219's and 220's only the lever actually cocks the gun as it's opening the locking bolt on the single shot hammerless models. With the 24 it should actually be easier as it doesn't have to cock the guns firing pin as at the same time. So basically all the plunger does is force the locking bolt downward to break open the action.

Does the spring seem real strong? I've had problems like that with main springs but never a plunger spring. I'm surprised you can't see whats binding if the butt stock is off you should be able to see all the internals doing their thing in there.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
1040 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Update: The wounds have healed and I pull this shotgun again to try and find the problem.

It's not the locking bolt plunger and related springs. I pulled the plunger out and placed a ball point pen spring on the plunger. It's still locked up. I removed all of the parts connected to the lever and the barrel locking lug (? unidentified part no. 49 on the above schematic) does not move. I cannot pull it back.

I used a couple of expensive and special tools to open the locking lug. (OK, I beat on it with a couple of screw drivers. But they were new Craftsman!)

Without the barrel in place and the locking lug dangling free, when pulling the end of the locking lug, in an "unlocking" motion, the lug "rides up" on something inside the receiver, forcing it up against the bottom of the top rail of the frame at the lever hole. I reinstalled the lever and the same "riding up" and binding occurs.

Since I'm not in the mood to tear into a Savage receiver for the first time, I'll call it quits until I'm braver or I retire. Man, I really am that old. 8>(

Thanks for reading and enjoy the upcoming weekend.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.