Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#56306 03/15/02
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave you made a post in another thread about being in scuffle's that got me to wondering. Actually I've been wondering for a while. Are you the same David King that was trying to enlighten some folks at Alloutdoors a year or two ago? But do to the NARROW minded mentality I think you eventually gave up. If I remember right it was all over shooting elk at extended ranges. I was quite upset about the reaction you got there and was really irked that I didn't get to learn much on account of all the "holier than thous" spouting off and ruining the opportunity to learn anything. Not much different here lately. I'm sure glad those LRH boys have their own site as it's a great place to learn something, share knowledge, and not have to put up with all the B.S.

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

#56307 03/15/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes
<br>
<br> I'd be that fella.
<br>
<br> That elk was at 905 yards, I was using a 300 Win mag and 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Elevation was in the 12,500 ft range and temp about 45 degrees, the bullets flew pretty flat and the wind was about half the sea level amount. The ballistics matched the charts we'd developed before the hunt and it was a succesful hunt for me and two of my hunting partners. One got an elk at just over 500 yards and another shot his twice at just over 650 yards.
<br>
<br> There was fair scuffle over that post and lots of "magic" numbers were posted in efforts to discount the event. I did meet a few Long Range Hunters as a result of that and have done a lot more shooting since then.
<br>
<br> That time it was my turn in the LRH SOB barrel!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

#56308 03/15/02
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thought that was you. Well I'm glad you guys set up that longrangehunting.com so those of us that want to learn something at least now have resource. The guy that runs this site is great, but as you can see some folks here have trouble focusing past the end of their nose. On an unrelated note. That bear hunt in Alberta you posted is killing. Bear hunting is my #1 passion and I usually go bear hunting every spring. However I promised my wife that this year I would stay in Montana if I hunted them at all. Man, I don't know what I was thinking. That deal you have for Alberta is unbeatable. Any other year I'd be all over that hunt and I'm sure I'd enjoy the company as well. If you ever get another offer like that let me know!!!!

Is it Friday yet?
#56309 03/15/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am curious, what barrel length did it have and what powder? And do you want to post the charge you used?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
#56310 03/15/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The www.LongRangeHunting.Com site is nice, Len was very gracious in setting it up and setting the tone.
<br>
<br>I get pretty good offers on hunts often, I just got back from Texas and have a free hunt coming down there too (hogs, for as long as I care to stay).
<br>
<br>I meet a lot of folks at the Tactical Matches too, some folks from NewFoundland invited me up but I couldn't make it.
<br>
<br>I spend a lot of time hunting here in Maryland and take new folks out each year. This last year I hooked up with a Navy LT from Colorado and he got several WhiteTail (no trophy but we'll try again this year). I believe I'll be in Colorado this fall for a hunt on Elk and maybe MuleDeer. (He got hooked on long range shooting too, he recently got his "Kitchen Pass" and bought a M24 style 308 from me.)
<br>
<br>Just the other night the Army Recuiters were over talking to my son who's about to leave for FT. Sill. One of the fellas mentioned that 905 ELK and wanted some tips on hunting here, local. I offered to take him hunting for turkey and deer and I'm sure he'll reciprocate and I'll end up in MO hunting something someday.
<br>
<br>I've got to get more vacation time built up or I'll won't be able to go anywhere with my wife for our 28th anniversary, I've used it all hunting. I'll probably just take her to McDonalds and let her throw those baseball sized colored plastic balls that they have in the kiddy room at me, I think she might enjoy that [Linked Image].
<br>
<br>I was up in Alberta last fall and got a nice WhiteTail buck and a meat moose.
<br>
<br>If you're ever out this way let me know, there'll be something to hunt.
<br>
<br>

IC B2

#56311 03/15/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Partsman
<br>
<br> I was using a 26 inch barrel, the rifle was an H-S Precision 2000LA with one of their barrels. The 180 BT was going 3150 fps and I was using RL25, I don't recall the powder charge. (Be careful with RL25, I recently changed LOT numbers and the new LOT was quite hot as compared to the older LOT.)
<br> I've since sold that rifle as a guy I know "simply had to have it". He keeps it under his bed along with the 60 or so rounds I included with the rifle, he'll probably never shoot it.
<br>
<br> One of the Ballistic Tip bullets lodged under the skin on the "off" side of the elk, I have a picture of it around somewhere, I believe it weighed 150 or 151 grains as recovered.
<br>
<br>

#56312 03/15/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the info, my 300 Win Mag is the old style Ruger and I managed to get 3019fps and the odd time 3050fps with a 180gr bullet from Speer. Using mostly H4831 though I did start out with IMR4831, and this is with a 24" barrel. I have heard lots about the RL powders and had been thinking of trying them, but didn't know which would be a good one to use. Thanks again.
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
#56313 03/15/02
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave, it's highly unlikely I'll be headed out your way, but I sure do appreciate the offer. Then again I won't say I will "never" be out there, as who knows what this crazy life may dish out? If you do get to go on that Alberta bear hunt it's a fair bet you will have to travel fairly close to my home in northeast Montana. If it's not too far out of the way stop in and say hello, or maybe we could meet for lunch or something if you pass close enough.

Is it Friday yet?
#56314 03/15/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like no-one wants to come to the Washington D.C. area on purpose, polititians excluded of course.
<br>
<br>Last time I came back from ALberta we traveled through Montana. I'll have other folks to visit on the way too, maybe I could stop in for a visit and we could kill some rocks or something.
<br>
<br>I've got folks out in Plains, an Aunt still living and a pair of cousins. I'd probably need to swing through WY and visit WyoWhisper too!
<br>
<br>Maybe I'll need to take my wife to McDonalds twice!
<br>
<br>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.