Print Thread
Hop To
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
As much as I enjoy the MK Alpine pants, their inconsistent sizing bugs me to no end.

I've tried the Carhartts and they seems really stiff to me even after numerous washings/wear/etc.

Looking for pants that can handle a good beating while tromping around in the field/bouldering/camping/etc that will have a reinforced stitching/knees/seat with thigh pockets.

I've looked into the "tactical" style pants from 5.11/Woolrich/TAD/Crye/Beyond and they appear more LE/Military oriented.

Cabelas/BP/REI have offerings too although would prefer solid colors.

Suggestions?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, the 5.11s work pretty well. The material is nothing real special (nylon/cotton blend) but the make is well thought out. Also the material is treated with dwr so they bead off random moisture and spills.

I've got a pair of the Beyond Fleece pants which are pricy but have been worth every penny. The schoeller wb 400 material is water resistant, wind resistant and and stretchy so they dont bind when climbing steep slopes. The thigh pockets are too small though. Otherwise about the perfect mountain pant. I'll be sad when they are no longer patchable. However, I don't see much listed on their website which doesn't look like a good sign to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out Arborwear:

http://www.arborwear.com/products/pants

I've heard good things about their tech pants. They're made to take abuse and I know several climbers who use 'em.

Eric

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks fellas....EricM, I'll look into the Arborwear stuff.

OH, the 5.11 are nice looking just a bit too flashy if you know what I mean...

The search continues....

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
+1 on the arborwear.

IC B2

M
M
Another nod to Arborwear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mil Surplus BDU pants?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Riggs work pants by Wrangler. http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_WESTERN_STORE_US/en_US/style/3w060.html You can get them in brown, green and a dark khaki. The pockets close with snaps so there is no annoying velcro. they have double knees to.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like the lighter weight Carhartts and have a seamstress throw another layer of material over the knee area.

I agree the heavy weight Carhartt are too much.

Brian

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Arbor wear is great tough gear.
Shrinks at least on size.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
get some tru-spec 24-7 pants in the poly cotton blend. they are a similar material to the 5-11 tactical pants, but offer more of a traditional fit. the back pockets while having a velcro flap are in a more traditional location, instead of the 5.11 ultra deep rear pockets which cause your wallet to sit against your back thigh and be extremely uncomfortable while riding in a vehicle. they don't have that rope thing that can get hung up on things. the 24-7's also have 2 pockets in each leg cargo pocket designed for AR -15 mags, BUT they work PERFECT for sliping in an LCP, TCP or kahr p380, its like a built in holster and the way it rides you forget its there, I could also hang upside down by my feet and the gun would stay put. they are pretty much the only pant I wear nowadays, I wear coyote tan, dark enough to look clean but light enough to still look nice even going on a night on the town with the wife. I love the pants, the poly/cotton blend dries quickly, stains wash out, breaths well so I don't get baboon azz, and wears like iron. never actually wore any of them out, they just fade and get dingy looking so I put them at the bottom of the stack. lately I enjoy wearing them so much I even wear them when I hunt, despite them not being camo, oh well.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Arborwear in a heartbeat.

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks fellas!

I will check into the AW pants this weekend and report back!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Father-in-Law swears by the Firehose pants sold through Duluth Trading. He wears them on bird hunts in SD, elk hunts in CO, deer hunts in AL, and many places between each year. I've yet to get a pair to try, but we just came back from a trip to MI where he was raving about how tough and comfortable they were and he recommended I get a pair.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WDEA
Thanks fellas!

I will check into the AW pants this weekend and report back!

Any more info with the Tech pants yet?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My vote is Railriders. I've had extremely good luck with the Rock Jeans which were modeled after the Carhartt double-front pants. I also like the Weather Pants/Extreme Adventure Pants for backpacking, etc.. So far, all of their products I have tried have been bombproof.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My favorite are Kuhl (www.kuhl.com). I've got a couple pairs of the crag canvas. They are rugged, articulated perfectly, fit well & they all fit the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.