Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I hunted Michigan's early antlerless season on a client's farm this weekend. Brought the Redhawk loaded w/ 300 gr XTPs pushed by a near-max load of H-110.

Early yesterday morning I shot a little doe at about 20 yds. I hit her a little higher than I intended (I like a shoulder shot) but her lungs were pulvarized and I found her about 75 yds away.

[Linked Image]

The 300s were left over from a feral pig hunt in Texas and are a little tougher than I would choose for this purpose, but even so I was surprised by the lack of expansion. This is a pic of the exit:

[Linked Image]

Has anyone run the 225 LeverEvolution bullet through a deer? I was kinda thinking about scoping this revolver and running those as fast as possible to get the expansion I like on deer.

Thoughts?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
efw,

Congratulations on the wheel gun deer!
That 300 gr is a tad heavy for expansion on deer unless you hit some big bone. Never the less, it worked very well.

I shot this doe last year with my S&W 629 Classic loaded with Nosler 240 gr JHP and 23.5 grs H110. She quartered away at 65 yds and I hit her in the back of the rib cage. The bullet exited behind the off shoulder leaving an exit wound the size of a quarter.
[Linked Image]
JD338

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I hunted Michigan's early antlerless season on a client's farm this weekend. Brought the Redhawk loaded w/ 300 gr XTPs pushed by a near-max load of H-110.

Early yesterday morning I shot a little doe at about 20 yds. I hit her a little higher than I intended (I like a shoulder shot) but her lungs were pulvarized and I found her about 75 yds away.

[Linked Image]

The 300s were left over from a feral pig hunt in Texas and are a little tougher than I would choose for this purpose, but even so I was surprised by the lack of expansion. This is a pic of the exit:

[Linked Image]

Has anyone run the 225 LeverEvolution bullet through a deer? I was kinda thinking about scoping this revolver and running those as fast as possible to get the expansion I like on deer.

Thoughts?

Im wondering if you had that 300XTP seated to the rear cannelure or front? If to the rear you could push that bullet up to about 1385 or so over 25grs 296.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I always seat em in the rear. IIRC I ran only 19 gr of H110 which is the same as 296, and that is listed as max in the book?

I think that Brian guy who writes on revolvers for Wolfe Publishing did something on HEAVY magnum loads for the Redhawk/Super Redhawk. I set that one aside for future consumption, but still don't think that 300 gr XTP is what I want for deer.

Have you hit a deer w/ one loaded to the ultra-max like you're describing? Milk jug even?

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice doe there JD! You da man!

I woulda guest you'd be running Noslers... are those the ones you can get in packages of 250?

How'd your early season go? Your daughter whack one?

I took Samuel out this morning and we didn't see anything, then butchered mine from yesterday. Brought it home just before noon and had the pan heated up and home made BBQ all ready before 1! WHEW HA!

Kids LOVE IT!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
Yeah I always seat em in the rear. IIRC I ran only 19 gr of H110 which is the same as 296, and that is listed as max in the book?

I think that Brian guy who writes on revolvers for Wolfe Publishing did something on HEAVY magnum loads for the Redhawk/Super Redhawk. I set that one aside for future consumption, but still don't think that 300 gr XTP is what I want for deer.

Have you hit a deer w/ one loaded to the ultra-max like you're describing? Milk jug even?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news so to speak, but the max with the 300XTP seated to the rear cannelure is, according to my March 92 Shooting Times article on the 10.9mm Ruger magnum, 24grs H110 & 25grs 296 for velocities of 1340 & 1387 respectively, you might be getting 1050 with your load. This pic shows a SSK 330 hardcast seated to the rear cannelure with 22grs 296, velocity:1400fps. Only paper targets with this bullet, havent tried the 300XTPs since I have the 330 SSKs.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gorskij; 09/17/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrat, Eric. I've been totingsaw along a Redhawk just yours for years in hopes of shooting a deer with it, hasn't happened yet though. I usually load a Remington 240gr SJHP over 24grs H110.

The only animal I ever shot with the 300 gr XTP was an average blackie that I killed with a frontal Kennedy shot, worked very well. Maybe a bit too well actually. sick I was using a rifle, and impact velocity was right around 1,500 fps.

I haven't tried the Hornady flex tip you asked about. Seems like I remember something about some special case prep required due to the length of that bullet. I'll check my Hornady manual when I get a chance and confirm this (or not).

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Hodgdon lists the 19 gr load as max.

I bet that 330 grainer would be da bomb on the heavy stuff like griz...

I think I'm gonna have to try some heavier loads w/ the JHPs JD is running...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw

I bet that 330 grainer would be da bomb on the heavy stuff like griz...

I think I'm gonna have to try some heavier loads w/ the JHPs JD is running...

I can tell you one thing, its not really fun to shoot, it really rocks, just ask my son, he's not fond of it either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice deer. Your experience with the XTP pretty well mirrors mine. The 300's, and the 240's.

I tried alot of different jacketed revolver bullets in my life. And my expansion was inconsistent at best with them.

I just shoot my cast 240 grain bullet now. I can play around a little bit with the alloy in order to get the expansion I want on the game I will be hunting.

I hunt deer with a 240 grain bullet cast from straight WW for the 44 magnum, and 45 Colt. And I use about 20.0 grains of 2400 in both cartridges. I usually get expanision of about 80 to 90 caliber. Plus they are a whole lot cheaper. Tom.

West By God Virginia
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hi Rich. I'm kind of new to handgunning and the bullets to use for which game but have taken a cow elk and a heifer buff with hard casts out of my Redhawk 45 Colt. While they penetrate well, they effectively acted like solids and both animals while taken were not dropped as quickly as I would have liked.

I plan on hunting whitetails this winter and have been loading and shooting the Horn Leverevolution 225-gr because I'm looking for something a lot "softer" than I experienced above. However, in plinking with them (~ 1200 fps) they seem to have the toughness of an tossed aspirin and a SD not much better in 45 cal. Many have come apart shooting into soft wood at about 25 yards.

That's to say I would have guessed that the horn XTPs to be about right for deer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw
Nice doe there JD! You da man!

I woulda guest you'd be running Noslers... are those the ones you can get in packages of 250?

How'd your early season go? Your daughter whack one?

I took Samuel out this morning and we didn't see anything, then butchered mine from yesterday. Brought it home just before noon and had the pan heated up and home made BBQ all ready before 1! WHEW HA!

Kids LOVE IT!

I have not shot a doe, haven't even put the cross hairs on one yet. Several close encounters for my daughter. Had a fawn 7-8 ft from the blind and mama was 20 ft away.
My daughter is loving it. Tomorrow will be here day!

JD338

Last edited by JD338; 09/18/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to her. Be sure to let us know how she does.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Good luck to her. Be sure to let us know how she does.

Will do.
I gave her my M700 Classic 257 Roberts and she shoots it well.
The deer are there and are within 50 yds. Its just a matter of time for her to get on one. She has been practicing getting on a few squirrels and her confidence is soaring.
I can't wait to post a picture.
BTW, she wants to rifle hunt the UP with me this year!

JD338

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by efw

Thoughts?

My son and I have been using the 44 mag LE for the last few yrs., for hunting whitetails here in Indiana. Granted, we are both using rifles, but the 225 gr. LEs have done a number on them. We've yet to hit a deer with them, and the deer got away. Blood trails are usually great, but over 1/2 of the deer were DRT. We'll be using them again this year.

maddog

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks guys. I have to give a small word of explaination here. I was atop a hill when I shot her, and the picture shows the exit, so you can imagine that the entry was a lot higher.

Iron sights get harder and harder for me to use the older I get... its a combination of diminishing eyesight and an addiction to the precision I get from rifles and scopes.

I'm excited to try something a little more frangible in an effort to get a nice big blood trail at the very least. Those 225 gr LEs seem like just the ticket for explosive expansion!

Thanks again,

efw

PS- I fried some up in olive oil and my 5 kids gathered around me to enjoy it on Saturday afternoon. They're as excited as I am to have meat in the freezer!!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That's for a short 1.6" cartridge. What's the OAL for your long seated ones?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I load them at 1.743" OAL. My SuperBlackhawk loves em.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mathman

That's for a short 1.6" cartridge. What's the OAL for your long seated ones?

Honestly never paid much attention; they're just short enough to let the cynlinder function.

I'm going to run these for the rest of the season, plug the rest into milk jugs for expansion testing, then use the hotter "Ruger only" numbers to build something running a 225 LE or 240 JHP of one type or another. That'll give me the "splatter effect" I'm looking for.

Thanks again all,

efw

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd go to the 240 for deer too, but you can spice up that long seated 300 a good bit over 19 grains of H110 when you want to pop a big hog or whatever.

Unlike the small percentage difference everyone gets all atwitter over when stretching the 257 Roberts to 3" long, lengthening a 44 mag round by .130" or so really does appreciably add to the ballistic potential.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.