Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm looking for something that I can dispatch wounded game, bag a rabbit, etc, and use for protection that doesn't weigh a damned ton!

S&W Mod. 15.

If that's too heavy for you, you need to work out more. wink

- Tom

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can we drop the political banter from this thread and get back on topic, please?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Old_Writer

All I'm saying is that we know the buzz words the gun haters constantly use to portray shooting and shooters as "dangerous" or "evil", and that shooters should think twice before using these words. Using words like "weapon" and "killing" when other words will more than suffice merely gives the gun haters more ammunition to shoot down our Second Amendment rights.
You seem like a stand up guy, and I sure enjoyed Guns & Ammo from the late 1970s till just a few years ago (still occasionally pick one up), so it's good to have you on board here, but I just think you're on the wrong trail with this one point. But don't let me stop you from modifying your own speech.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I can take or leave "weapon" but I think that using "harvest" in the context of hunting sounds stupid. You harvest crops, you kill game.
"I was out walking with my wife last night when a robber pulled a gun on us, so I harvested him". smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If I had to go the 380 route, I'd look for something like the Beretta 84FS. 3.8" bbl for a little more speed, longer sight radius and decent grip size for better shootability, decent sights, and 13+1 pokes.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MM, Those 84's have always been a good-looking gun to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,

The 84 Beretta is on my "someday" list.

Would love to have one for a trail gun.

Presently packing a Kahr P9 most of the time for my trail gun,
along with a NavyArms 92 "trapper" in .45 Colt.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used a beretta 1931 in 32 acp for years as a woods gun. It didn't do anything my Woodsman wouldn't......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by T LEE
Try hard as you can to lay hands on a Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22 WMR pistol. Good size, good sights, light weight and comes with 2-30 round magazines.
Are these reliable weapons?

The one I have been shooting (it belongs to the shop) and the several we have sold have gotten rave reviews so far. The shop one is the one with the "new" barrel config, the others a mix of the "old" & "new" styles and zero complaints. I have plinked pop cans out to 75 yards with it and it is DEFINITELY a minute of can at those ranges.

Sure does put out a bunch of blast & flash though, if used in SD it will make em think you have something bigger! Then there is the "never ending" magazine capacity.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I imagine they're amazingly controllable, but what kind of stopping power on two legged varmints can you expect from a .22 Mag out of a handgun? If it holds thirty round, but you need three or four to stop a determined attacker, I'm not sure the math is that good compared to eight rounds of .45 ACP. Might have to get one, still the same though, just because they likely won't be legal to own for too much longer, for mere peasants, that is.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...Sure does put out a bunch of blast & flash though, if used in SD it will make em think you have something bigger! Then there is the "never ending" magazine capacity.

Mentioned having a man and his son shooting one next to me at the range a coupel weeks ago and that was what got my attention - the very loud bark and that big ol' fireball at the end of the barrel. Plus the fact that when the kid had it and put the selector switch to "Lots'a Fun" mode the thunder and lightning kept on going, and going, and going... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...Sure does put out a bunch of blast & flash though, if used in SD it will make em think you have something bigger! Then there is the "never ending" magazine capacity.

Mentioned having a man and his son shooting one next to me at the range a coupel weeks ago and that was what got my attention - the very loud bark and that big ol' fireball at the end of the barrel. Plus the fact that when the kid had it and put the selector switch to "Lots'a Fun" mode the thunder and lightning kept on going, and going, and going... wink
They have a full auto model. Is that what you're referring to?

PS I wonder if they'll ever come out with a carbine version using a sixty round magazine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would then have to have one of THOSE, too.

I am thinking that one could put so many 22 MAgnums onto a bad guy target so very quickly that the PMR 30 would actually be a really good defensive arm. Also, while not a 45, don't discount that a 22 Magnum HP is goig to make a pretty good hole and dump a lot of energy on target.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by safariman
I would then have to have one of THOSE, too.

I am thinking that one could put so many 22 MAgnums onto a bad guy target so very quickly that the PMR 30 would actually be a really good defensive arm. Also, while not a 45, don't discount that a 22 Magnum HP is goig to make a pretty good hole and dump a lot of energy on target.
I wonder how deeply a .22 Magnum HP would penetrate a human torso. What about if it had to go through an arm first?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For the use you mention, I lean toward .22 LR. A S&W M63 is a dandy carry gun, sights adjustable, easy to carry. Mine has S&W target stocks and suit perfectly, as the factory grips are just too small for average to large hands. The K22 is next up, to my way of thinking - M18 w/ 4" bbl; M17 w/ 6".

If personal protection is a player, I'd start w/ the 9mm and go up, preferably a caliber than begins in "4".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple Star Super SM .380s, and my son loves the one with the black plastic grips. He loves how light and handy it is compared to his Kimber Classic II, but "looks the same but smaller." He's only 13, so he'll grow into the Kimber, which he won at a Friends of the NRA dinner...in my name of course, but he bought and held the tickets.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've carried and used a Browning HP as a trail gun. Like Kevin mentioned, make sure you use hollow points.
From what I've seen, a .380 could be such a gun, but that depends on the gun.
The problem revolves around sights, trigger break and accuracy. There simply are very few 380/9mm guns that can match a good Smith revolver, like the 3 inch, M60's in that catagory.
BTW, the .22 RF Magnum does alot better on small stuff than you'd ever think.
But the real sleeper in the area of really light and deadly is the 5.7 FN. Next year, I'm planning on loading mine to 1800-1900 fps with some 40-45 gr. soft point ammo. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O.K...9mm as a woods gun/firearm/weapon. From a purely technical standpoint, it possesses the ballistics and penetration to get the job done in most cases (depending on what your job is, of course).

I have used one and didn't feel unarmed. My personal experience leads me to the conclusion that it is a bit too light for my tastes. Either that or I was inaccurate enough with it that my shooting was the failure rather than the caliber (I freely admit this is the most probably reason why I am not 100% on the 9mm). Regardless of the reason, when I switched to any caliber .400 or larger, the failures stopped. Again, maybe it was just my shooting that improved.

Since confidence in your chosen equipment means a lot, I chose to go with a 10mm, .45, or a .44. This is primarily because these calibers give me the warm fuzzies that a 9mm does not. If I had nothing but a 9mm, I carry it and not worry too much.

There is one other thing. With a 9mm, I found myself engaged in a constant search for the 'perfect' projectile. Fast and light, slow and heavy, this load or that, etc. It seemed this was a common theme among 9mm carriers. With the other calibers, I feel no such need to play those types of games. To me, this is another indicator of my comfort in the larger calibers. YMMV.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've just purchased my first centerfire pistol, I purchased a Ruger SR9, curious about anyone's thoughts. My initial, albeit inexperienced, thoughts are it is easy to carry with the 17 rd magazine (10 rd. to short for my hand)on the hip, reasonably accurate, 100 rounds later no hiccups, and reasonably priced.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Interarms stainless Walther PPk that I bought back in the mid 80's and have killed several ground hogs, copperheads, skunks and some other assorted stuff.

I didn't buy it for a woods gun but carried it a lot off work or as a backup all the time so I just had it when the critters presented themselves. Almost always loaded with Fed HydraShoks

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
195 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.