Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here's something that I have put together over the past week. I will not hunt with an NECG receiver sight. It's like shooting at your game through a peep hole in a solid wall. This sight is .100" lower than the one I made for my M77RSI. I was able to do that, since I don't have bolr handle clearence issues to deal with on the #1. I am very used to the XS ghost ring sights and that is the only receiver sight that use on any of my hunting guns. I made this one by cutting and filing a ledge on the bottom of a Burris Ruger to weaver adapter and cutting and reshaping the attachment portion of an XS low Weaver back-up sight. I then drilled and tapped two 4-40 flathead countersunk allen screws and attached the two. It is low enough that the front sight will not have to be much higher than the factory sight. It attaches and de-taches in a few seconds with the Torx wrench supplied with the Burris adapter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rj308; 09/17/11.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice. I like that a lot.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very industrious!!!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That is awesome!!

Can we have atop view pic please? smile

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I plan to shoot the rifle with this sight on Friday, to find out what size front sight I will need. I will try to get a shot of the top and post it then.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is interesting enough and like something I have wanted for quite a while, that I ordered a set of the adapter bases and one sight. I did not know that they existed. From the looks of the bases I might be able to also mount a scope a the same time and have my ghost ring remaining on the rifle?? Maybe clamp the xs onto the base and just add a higher front sight? Anyway it will be something to play with. If it works out, I have two tropicals to get the treatment, plus a little 7x57 1-a.

Like you I do not like the NECG peep for the Ruger #1, I have one for a CZ 550 and it's fine.

Last edited by jkingrph; 09/21/11.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rj308,

Wow! Too bad the Ghost ring company and Burris do not cooperate and make them for the market.

An elegant fix in both practical utility and aesthetics. Rugged and unugly irons that actually work.

Congratulations.
1B

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Jkingrph, You probably can have the scope and XS low Weaver back-up sight mounted at the same time. But you will have to use very high scope rings to be high enough for the scope tube to clear the XS aperture. And then you might not be able to find a ready made front sight tall enough to work. What you can do is have the aperture removed when the scope is mounted. But it would be simpler (and faster) to just use quick detach rings on the scope and once it is removed, attach the pre=zeroed XS low Weaver back-up sight with it's one attachment screw. That is what I do with my 10/22. 1B, I was thinking about talking to Monte or Dennis at XS about producing a detachable for the Rugers. They may not sell a lot of them, but I bet they would sell more of them than the Ruger back-up sight that they sell, that requires drilling and tapping the receiver.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rj308

Thanks for your comments, basically all those mounting ideas flashed through my mind when I saw your pictures and read your ideas.

I may end up trying what you did, and modify the mount and sight as you did, I probably can do it with a file and my drill press, if I go slow.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Why don't you send the idea to Ruger to see if they would be interested in adopting it and putting into production. They used my idea when they made the stamped magazine loaders for the P series pistols.

IC B3

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Since XS is primarily in the sight making business, I think there would be a 1000% better chance that XS would start making such a sight as opposed to Ruger. After all, the only re-engineering that XS would have to do is change the attachment setup from Weaver type to Ruger, on their Low Weaver Back-up sight and it would be done. I will speak to one of the folks at XS this week, when I call to order a couple more front sights from them. I'll let you know what kind of response I get from them. I fired my K1A on Friday to determine the front sight height, with the ghost ring sight I made up, pictured above. It needs to be .500 tall. That is only .100 higher than the factory front sight that the rifle came with, about what I estimated

Last edited by rj308; 09/24/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would order it as soon as available. This is truly a valuable feature for the ruger platform !

Congrats for that work.

Va t'in tch�re !
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I called XS sights today to order a couple of front blades. I talked to the gent that took my order about the possibility of XS making a detachable ghost ring sight for Rugers. He said they did not do it because "you would end up with a big glob on top of the Ruger sight rib". I told him not necessarily, because I made one using the Burris adapter and it is low enough that the front sight only has to be .100" higher that the factory front blade. He did not comment on that. It sounds to me like they are not very interested in the idea or else I did not talk to the right person.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ask for a patent !

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I finally got motivated and got out in my garage workshop and started. My initial thoughts were to slowly file everything to fit but that's a lot of pretty good steel to file, so I slowly ground off everything in front of the screw groove(a clearance groove for the clamping screw) on the xs system sight then carefully filed to the back of the line made by the screw groove.

Next I ground most of the metal off the botton of the Burris adapter behind the Pictinny groove and carefulley filed it flat and flush with the bottom metal of the groove. This gave me a good reference surface to align a hacksaw which I slowly sawed forward to the back of the clamp jaws which hold onto the Ruger rail. Then I sawed down and removed that top piece of the rail and cleaned up with a file, being careful to keep the surface flat. Next I worked on the new ends of the Burris adapter and the XS sight and filed them slowly so the top and bottoms meet up flush. All this took me about a 1 1/2 hours of careful filing and fitting. Wish I had a small milling machine for this. After this I am not trusting myself to drill and tap, so will probably take the two pieces down to a local gunsmith/machine shop and have that done. After getting the two pieces attached there is still a little bit of sculpting and blending them together.

I stuck it all together with of all things a little strip of duct tape to see how it looks and sights and really think this is the best peep sight setup I have seen for the #1.

Currently I have 3 #1's with iron sights and if I like this as much as I think, will be making two more sets soon.

I wish XS would make a ready to install sight like this,.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Good work. I knew you could do it. It would be so easy for XS to make this sight and I think they would sell enough to make it worth their while. But, as I said before, when I talked to one of their reps about it, they did not seem interested.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Lyman Centennial 2nd Edition had an XS Ghost ring mounted in the rear screw holes wheni bought it. It fir onto the barreel w/o any obvious tweaking.

I had those irons removed By Dan Pedersen and replaced with a Montana Vintage Arms Creedmore type tang sight and a Soule front combo.

1B

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
yes. XS has had a sight available for years that will fit #1's and 3's that are drilled and tapped for scope blocks. Some years ago I had one mounted on a #3 in 30-40 Krag. They just have not offered anything quickly detachable for Ruger sight ribs.

Last edited by rj308; 11/20/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After some thinking and locating some flat head allen socket screws at a local fastnall store, I think I will do the drilling and tapping myself. I have a set of taps and dies, with taps in 4-40 and 6-32. I was thinking the larger 6-32, but see no need as scope mounting screws are fairly small and can take quite a bit of abuse and shear resistance during recoil and these will have nothing like that, so will probably use the smaller 4-40.

I am thinking it will take two hole sizes, a smaller one for the threaded portion, and a slightyl larger size where the countersink will locate so the screw can go through that section easily and allow the two pieces to be drawn together tightly.

Although my filing looks flat and seems to fit quite well when I do the final assembly I will probably use a bit of JB weld between the two sections and in threads or possibly some hi strength loc tite there.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jkingrph
...I am thinking it will take two hole sizes, a smaller one for the threaded portion, and a slightyl larger size where the countersink will locate so the screw can go through that section easily and allow the two pieces to be drawn together tightly...

It will aid hole alignment if you transfer the tap-drill hole through both mating parts, at assembly, later opening up the clearance holes.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.