Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
HuntKY, there are a lot of similarities between Griffons and PP's.

My old dog came from Bob Farris in Idaho, his kennel is called Cedarwoods. My 6 month old pup is from Fin Renard kennel in Quebec.

For what it's worth, the Pudelpoiter has been one of the top scoring breeds in the NAVHDA system for some time. Even though relatively few are tested, the breed has a disproportionately high level of prize one dogs. It was watching them perform on test days at our local club that attracted me to the breed.

My old guy has no problem opening up his search in the wide open of southern Saskatchewan when huns or sharptails are on the prairie, adjusting to pheasants and tracking them when they run down the coulees, or adjusting to a close search when we are after forest grouse. He is a natural retriever and I have used him a lot for waterfowl, and even as a beaver retriever. He does not display "sharpness" on cats and won't even bark at strangers. I live in town so I like that!

Labs have more stamina in the water, english pointers are more efficient on the open plains, but I like the versatility of a friendly dog that I can hunt a mixed bag with in any weather, and we have done so from -30�C to +30�C, on land and water, for feather or fur.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep....lot's of similarities in the two breeds.

We have hunted in and around Waverly, Sask the last few years with old local fellow up there. One day last fall we found 22 coveys of Huns, in one day. It will be a LONG time before I forget that day.

The only "knock" on the Griff that I have, is their hair is like velcro....she picks up burrs and briars like mad....also, dreds up pretty quickly if she spends a lot of time in the water.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetjockey
[quote=johnw
Jeff Griffen, Field & Stream's gun dog writer from the 1960s, wrote in his "Hunting Dogs of America" (Doubleday 1964), that different groups bred the dog for different styles of hunting, according to the areas and conditions hunted.
Griffen also mentions that two of the likeliest crosses used for the type's foundation were the Welsh Springer, and the original red and white Irish Setter.

Thats the first time Ive ever heard anyone who thought Brits were just a cross between a springer and setter. Everything Ive read leads most people to believe there were EP's involved as well, if not the main cross between a springer and EP. Either way, they are great dogs, and todays brits are a lot different then the brits we hunted over 25 years ago. I expect the brits 20 years from now will be bigger, longer legged, and run bigger then the brits we have now.
[/quote]

read what i wrote again... there is no "just" anywhere in what i wrote, but the breeds that Griffen named as predominant make sense...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C&B...

does the pudelpointers coat grow continously???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntKY

The only "knock" on the Griff that I have, is their hair is like velcro....she picks up burrs and briars like mad....also, dreds up pretty quickly if she spends a lot of time in the water.

does the griff's coat grow continously? and how much effort is it to de-burr them after a day spent in fencerows???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I find my PP's coat easy to maintain. It does grow continuously, and must be hand stripped, it does not shed easily. However, coat length and coat density is quite variable in the breed, one has to do some research to ensure that you get what you want. I have seen very shaggy PP's and some that looked like GSP's with a mustache. I personally prefer a dense wiry coat because of the easy care and the ability for the dog to shed water with a quick shake and remain warm while duck hunting. Burrs are less of a challenge compared to any dogs with "feathering" but of course more of a challenge compared to short haired breeds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes those longer haired dogs do present problems after runnning into burrs. But is is part of ownership. If you really like the breed will put up with the inconvenience.

Mearns quail hunting in S Az has its own issues. We have this tubular sticky plant that really clings. I have found if water is added to the plant it comes off more easily. Even so after a full season of mearns hunting the dog's coat gets whittled down. Here are a few pics of my GWP at his best and worst:

Before a season hunting:
[Linked Image]

Sticky grass
[Linked Image]

Some cockle burrs from an island on Roosevelt Lake 88 burrs
[Linked Image]

after a full mearns season almost looks like a GSP:
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Looking for a all around dog without some of the bad bird dog traits. Want a non agressive dog around people and other dogs, obedient and sticks around home a must.

Please give me the good and bad about Draht,s & PP & Wirehaired Griffon,s. Have owned Labs, Brittneys, Setters, & Springers.

Can be a little rough with a too gentle dog but am consitent. Would like to Skijor with it in winter and our bird seasons are short. Want to have it with me on non bird
hunts but need a quiet obedient dog as a companion.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
AMAZING Korthals Griffon HuntKY!

That was the breed I was sold on for a long time as my first gun dog. After I searched and searched and found nothing but prices I could not afford while going through college after the military I was sad. Then I came by an add for a Brittany 14 weeks old last Oct for $200.00.

I called and asked what the problem was and the breeder said not a thing just have two boys left and I don't have room so the price went from $500.00 to $200.00. I was told the blood line was impressive and the instincts had been carved in over generations. After I registered him and got my pedigree report I found out my goof ball Brittany has five champs in the blood line. He comes from 4 Field Trial Champs and on Dual Champ.

I got lucky more than I can comprehend, he is a best friend to me and a complete goof. That is untill he steps outside then its all business.

I would still like a Korthals some day but its going to take a lot for me to step away from the Brittany breed. He does it all from field birds to ducks. I have not yet had him on a duck hunt but he loves to water retrieve.

Last edited by Metsamies; 09/27/11.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is my GWP, Bosch, a Smooth Coat variety. Looks like a GSP. Got him at age 3 as a "semi-finshed" hunter. He is eight and a half now. He has a great disposition and gets along with people and dogs of all sorts and has just been very good on pheasants. He is a kennel dog as he sheds like a maple in the fall. Trying to sort through a limp he developed this summer and get him going this fall again. Shot this pic just as he locked up on a rooster; I was able to slowly work around and ahead of him without flushing the bird. He's a buddy.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
beautiful dog... have any more pics, I would like to see the smooth coat better.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here's another of him. His coat is very short but ultra dense. A hard workout overheats him if it is over 65 degrees. Never have seen him cold, other than his pads, in frigid, Iowa, late season pheasant outings. He's a medium sized dog, about 65 lbs but as they say about football players, he has a non-stop motor, yet all he wants to do is please.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful dog George.

I have a 1 year old English Cocker that is showing good promise. I need a year to get her on a bunch of birds. Our number are down around here so I may have to make a couple trips to South Dakota.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I wouldn't mind doing that either. I have the SD "walk-in book". Looks like the next county west of the one Beresford is in has a couple, several hundred area options.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Buddi was received for free at just under 4 years old, from a family next to a lake, loved but untrained with even basic obedience. She came home with us in summer 2008. We got her spayed, and noticed that she was unregistered probably due to a very slightly deformed rear foot.

She is now trained pretty well to basic obedience, and will do things that other people just marvel at. She has taught me that Brittanys are smart, need to only be taught once, don't forget or forgive when you get mad at them, outhunts all the Labs and GSPs in our small town whether on pheasants, sharpies, or ducks, is gentle with kids and people, loves to be loved, and can lay down calmly in the house or be ready to rock all day long when the guns come out. She sure finds it forbidden fun to chase jackrabbits though....

Best dog I've ever owned!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Here's another of him. His coat is very short but ultra dense. A hard workout overheats him if it is over 65 degrees. Never have seen him cold, other than his pads, in frigid, Iowa, late season pheasant outings. He's a medium sized dog, about 65 lbs but as they say about football players, he has a non-stop motor, yet all he wants to do is please.

[Linked Image]

boy he really does look like a GSP!! Very interesting dog.. does his hair grow continuously? Do you keep him cut that short or is it natural? I have been tossing around a GSP, Drathaar, or Pudelpointer and this could be a great option.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Never touch his hair; it stays this short and yes it continues to grow 'cause he sheds continuously. It's so dense, I can barely get past it to skin for his topical ant-tick medicine.

I never knew their was a smooth coat version of the GWP until I got him. Great, great disposition. And very good on pheasants.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Have owned GSP's, Brits and now have a Vizsla. The GSP's were my best hunters but roamed out too far and were really energetic for a house dog. Brits were good hunters but shed and got a lot of burrs in their hair.

My vizsla is a good bird dog and a decent retriever. Wonderful disposition and love sto go fishing as welll as hunting. Very little shedding

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That last picture is a winner!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This is the first bird I shot over Sarge a 2.5 year old Vizsla. He had a great day Saturday and it was a blast. I am hooked on them. Have another that is a little over a year and I will take him this weekend.

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.