Semper Fi
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BCJR
Reconfigured my bear rifle. Its a classic in 375 H&H. I picked up a McM supergrade from rick , removed rear sight and installed a williams peep. I have a lyman which I will have installed this winter but for now the williams is holding up and it works with the factory front sight. I wanted to go iron sights for a zero fail sight system with fast heads up target acquisition. Anyway here it is:
[Linked Image]

I suggest you remove the front sight base and check the thread engagement of the single screw that hold the base on. Pizz poor design IME. I swapped a banded setup on my 416.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir , when the lyman goes on , the front sight gets swapped.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Finally got the McMillen Edge bedded on the the like new Pre-64 that I bought from Yar here on the fire. Did forget to have him work on the trigger and it is a little stiff. But ok for now. This pattern is familiar here. Smith said it the first one he has seen in brown.

Making some brass so this is it's first go with factory. Took about 4 to get it centered and getting dark but it did this on the next to last group. The last went about a 1/4 more for 3, but the lights were going out.

Reloads should tighten it some, but it will work fine the way it is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that a VX2 3x9?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FX6 with post and duplex.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Finally got the McMillen Edge bedded on the the like new Pre-64 that I bought from Yar here on the fire. Did forget to have him work on the trigger and it is a little stiff. But ok for now. This pattern is familiar here. Smith said it the first one he has seen in brown.

Making some brass so this is it's first go with factory. Took about 4 to get it centered and getting dark but it did this on the next to last group. The last went about a 1/4 more for 3, but the lights were going out.

Reloads should tighten it some, but it will work fine the way it is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks awesome. Kind of similar to one of my rifles. I'll bet DD lows would get that scope down a little lower.. Do they make the QD's in low?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correction: Straight Duplex.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Looks awesome. Kind of similar to one of my rifles. I'll bet DD lows would get that scope down a little lower..

No doubt they would, but I'm not one that likes my neck bent over. Seems like I get less neck jar with the head up a little and it also allows me to see more thru the center of my pupil and not the top. Or so it seems anyway.

When I mount it everything is centered, so all should be a wash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got it,

I have an 06/edge set up with 165 w/Accubond/partition loads. I really like the rifle and feel it's hard to beat.

You plan on using it this season?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ben, Lord willing it will be used this season along with the Kimber Montana I had rebarreled to .300Savage with a little heavier barrel.

Sacrilege to say it here, but the .300Savage just may be my favorite. However, this one-Mod 70-handles really well and it would be hard to find any fault with it.

BSA: Yes, you can get the QR's in a low.

Last edited by battue; 09/14/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pretty sure these are lows and what it will be wearing in the wood. The 6x42 will be on it mainly in the evening watching a field.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by handwerk
Great looking rig TDN! tell us how the scope compares to others you've had?

Thanks All! A lot of stock and barrel combinations and rights bought, shot, and sold have gone into the planning of this one. It's got PT&G bottom metal that drop a few ounces and I really like the stock - I finished it with a paint I got from "handwerk" (thanks!). I would be just as fine if the stock were a Brown, Legend, or Sako Classic Edge-fill, and this works great.. Talley LW lows work well for the Summit too.

Thus far (one range session and a bunch of shouldering/dry firing in my basement) I really dig the Summit. Tracked perfectly and it is as clear a picture and bright as I have ever seen! Cross hairs are a bit slimmer than say, a Leupy duplex, but with the optic quality, I am not at all worried about losing the hairs due to low light. It is really easy to get behind... Like a 6x36 or 3.5-10x40 Luepolds are and rides like a lighter scope.

Super impressed thus far.

I feel exactly the same way.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty sure these are lows and what it will be wearing in the wood. The 6x42 will be on it mainly in the evening watching a field.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle buddy. I really like that color combo. Did you end up going with edge fill or standard fill? Yep, those look like lows. Scope down a little closer to the barrel, so you don't have to lift your head off the stock. Sorry buddy, being a competitive trap shooter you understand where I'm coming from. When I was learning to shoot trap, that was numero uno bad habit to lift your head off the stock, number 2 was probably forgetting to follow thru... wink. Something we also need to remember even when shooting a rifle, especially at running targets.. laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I understand and have made the mistake with shotguns more than I would like to admit. Unfortunately.

Edge fill.

Anyway, with rifles I seem to be able to adapt within reason. Gun comes up and the picture is in the scope, along with a solid cheek contact. Combined with the fact a BG animal has a huge sweet spot to hit. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've yet to miss and want to place the blame on a quarter inch or so of scope height.

It really is a fine rifle and I feel fortunate to have it come my way. Smith looked down the barrel with a scope and said it has been shot very little. Locking lugs are tight with no marks, along with the bolt face being void of any marks. Originall stock only had a couple scratches. About as new as you can get without being able to travel back in time. Looking forward to hunting it this season.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like an excellent rifle. The scope height is probably a non issue with that fine stock. However, Something like a low comb factory pre 64 stock and you'd need all the help you can get. My buddy found that out, thus the reason I installed a hunters compact on it for him. Made all the difference in the world with getting a full sight picture through the scope. Your 30-06 probably feels damn good in the hands. I know I really like my 270 in the same configuration. However, mine is standard fill. Still lighter than the factory wood though and balance is perfect.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree, low comb factory set up for irons changes things. Have my Dads standard and even with low mounts, you are almost shooting off your chin.

Last edited by battue; 09/14/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agree, low comb factory set up for irons changes things. Have my Dads standard and even with low mounts, you are almost shooting off your chin.

LOL. Yes it can be awkward... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just for chits and giggles and comparisons:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bumping a great thread.

Anyone have any neat 2017 purchases or builds planned?

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Page 54 of 71 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 70 71

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.