Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I was thinking of trying these out. I am sure they will be accurate, just wondered if anyone had any expierience with them as far as killing performance?

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I mean, hornady makes them for big game is good enough for me, until proven otherwise with those folks.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i would agree. just wondering if anyone has killed anything with them in this caliber. Anyone will tell you anything to sell you something, especially on the internet!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a deer with a 270 130gr GMX last year and it worked.

Here's my recovered GMX post.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...earch/true/Recovered_277_GMX#Post4664423

Quando omni flunkus moritati
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't think I'd trust it.

A 7x57 or 30-06 will do the trick, but I'd save the 270 for 'yotes.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by efw

I have found this to be true..... sick

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shot two elk last year with a 270 with 130 gr GMX. Poor performer, use something else unless you like pinhole entrance and exit wounds and no blood trails.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by brymoore
I shot two elk last year with a 270 with 130 gr GMX. Poor performer, use something else unless you like pinhole entrance and exit wounds and no blood trails.

That's disapointing to hear...I guess not enough expansion, huh?

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/25/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess. I really liked their Light Magnum loads but not the Superformance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brymoore

Could you enlighten us on the type/distance of shots and how confident you were of their placements? I would think that even pinholes through their boiler rooms would be enough to bring them down. I'll agree they don't expand/fragment like an SST but I'm surprised they didn't kill if they were well placed shots.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
USE WITH CONFIDENCE! These bullets at that weight at 270 speeds will kill anything in the lower 48 just as dead as any 30 cal!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
greggohrc;
I used the 130gr GMX out of my 22" barreled .270 last fall for two deer. The load uses IMR4350 and seems to average a fairly pedestrian 2850fps average.

The first buck was a 2nd rack mulie that went 109lbs carcass weight. He was hit at about 80yds with me about 30� below him.

The bullet hit the left scapula on entrance and shattered it. Then it took out two ribs, both upper lung lobes, two more ribs on the other side and exited leaving a 2" diameter exit wound.

The buck was visibly staggered by the shot and only managed a few steps before pitching off of a small cliff where I found it. There was a lot of blood sign where the buck stood where it was hit.
[Linked Image]

This is a close up of the entrance side scapula with meat on. One of the interesting things about using a homogeneous bullet is that even this shoulder cleaned up remarkably well and very little meat was lost.
[Linked Image]

The second deer was at least a 3rd rack whitetail that went 131bs into the cooler. It was hit about 175 yds away with the bullet creasing the scapula on entrance, breaking a rib, then traversing the lungs with about 2"-3" of damage to them. Another rib was broken on the exit side and the resulting exit wound was about 1�" in diameter.

The buck made perhaps 15 yards before expiring and the blood trail was what I would consider very good.
[Linked Image]

I was happy enough with the results that I am using them again this year when chasing mulies, whitetail and would use it for an immature bull moose if I'd ever run into one during season again.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i think the caliber is perfect for the hunting that i do. i was just wondering about the projectile as i have not used them in the past.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
what kind of distance are you shooting? I have heard that they do great at short distance due to higher impact velocity but not at farther away because the bullet slows and does not have the energy to expand it, they just fly right through

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DP4

Could you enlighten us on the type/distance of shots and how confident you were of their placements? I would think that even pinholes through their boiler rooms would be enough to bring them down. I'll agree they don't expand/fragment like an SST but I'm surprised they didn't kill if they were well placed shots.

I shot one elk at 100 yards and one at 300 yards both two lung punches. I also shot two antelope at 300 and 335 yards and a mule deer at 350 yards. I couldn't see the entrance nor exit wound on the MD until I skinned it (I flipped the animal over several times thinking WTH).

As to confidence with my shot, I've killed a pile of animals (50+). I hit where I aim when I shoot. I ranged all of my animals. My shots were at standing, broadside animals with me shooting prone except for the elk shot at 100 yards (sitting). I punched both lungs on all five animals I shot.

I didn't say the GMX didn't kill. A full metal jacket will kill. In my experience, they provide no blood trail and the animals seemed to run further than with other bullets. There are better choices to hunt with than the GMX from my experience.

Last edited by brymoore; 09/26/11.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by efw

You know Bob, I gotta tell ya I'm disappointed. You're the only one who responded to my troll.

Here we got all these twits like Swampy who can't say a thing w/out getting a huge influx of comments, and I can't get anybody but you (who I hope knew I was trollin') to respond! shocked

After all, it isn't like I've got the notariety of Ingwe on my anti-270-ism, is it? whistle

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used them on a 150# boar last year, dropped him in his tracks at 160 Yds. but I also shot him between the eyes.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by efw

You know Bob, I gotta tell ya I'm disappointed. You're the only one who responded to my troll.

Here we got all these twits like Swampy who can't say a thing w/out getting a huge influx of comments, and I can't get anybody but you (who I hope knew I was trollin') to respond! shocked

After all, it isn't like I've got the notariety of Ingwe on my anti-270-ism, is it? whistle

guess, as a troll, you are just a dismal failure grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's wrong with Hornady Superformance 130gr IB for that .270? The IB is devastating on game.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by efw

guess, as a troll, you are just a dismal failure grin

Epic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

410 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.