Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Are the old AA hulls or upland hulls still available? The newer AA hulls (grey) colored don't seem to be the same quality as the old AA/upland red hulls.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
thats why I switched to Remington STS shells....Russ

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Winchester still makes a red AA hull but I don't think it's nearly as good as they were ten years ago. Can't quite remember when they changed the plastic formula but everyone I know who loads complained. Hard to beat Remington STS/Nitro's
I don't load anymore but do save most of my STS's for friends.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All the new AA cases are the HS hull and yes it sucks

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by willhunt4
Winchester still makes a red AA hull but I don't think it's nearly as good as they were ten years ago. Can't quite remember when they changed the plastic formula but everyone I know who loads complained. Hard to beat Remington STS/Nitro's
I don't load anymore but do save most of my STS's for friends.

STS's are the better hulls nowadays.

The old-AA Winchester-tooling and machinery was literally worn out by the time the newer HS-AA's came out. The AA first made it debut @1960ish.

Bag the Tinnchesters. Buy the Remmie STS instead!! In addition, Remington Game Club hulls while cheaper, load exactly the same way as STS's. wink

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The seasoned shooters at local clubs dislike the new Win hulls. Those that still have 1 piece ones covet and admired them. Most now prefer the Rem variety.

I have loaded 500 gray Win hulls 9 times without any problems. Happy with the finished shell and performance.

I also load Rem hulls. No troubles yet. I have seen Fed Top Gun hulls send their paper base wads flaming down range. Also have seen Fed and Estate reloads split apart.

For me, the Win AA's and Rem. varieties are good for multiple reloading. The rest get 1 or 2 then tossed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blanket
All the new AA cases are the HS hull and yes it sucks

I agree 100%

Luckily, from my friends when I shot competitive Skeet, I have a lifetime supply of old style AA hulls in all 4 gauges, and I shoot about 5,000 shotshells per year. I'll pick up the new style hulls, but I keep them separate and hopefully, I'll never have to use them.

I have a Pacific/Hornady 366 loader for each of the 4 gauges, and they are adjusted for the old style AA hulls. They will not fully seat the primers in the new style AA hulls unless I re-adjust (lengthen) the primer seating ram.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So how about the old Remington BLUE MAGIC, I have the old & just continue to load them. Was always afraid I would run out of them some day, but I see they are making them again. Anybody have any experience with the new blue magic? Compare to the new blue magic or other newer ones out there.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
same same.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fyi....I tossed or sold off all my newer HS aa hulls and stick to my old CF aa's. like others, I will have enough to last me a lifetime AND to whoever clears out my house when I die.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Siggy32
So how about the old Remington BLUE MAGIC, I have the old & just continue to load them. Was always afraid I would run out of them some day, but I see they are making them again. Anybody have any experience with the new blue magic? Compare to the new blue magic or other newer ones out there.

Old AA's and Blue Magic I could live on! Have STS and AAHS and not real happy with either!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
come to my club in mo and i'll sell anyone these.
old style 12ga aa 9's 500 per case.
remember before they split them in half and called them flats?
gave away my age.
here ya go.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I load the newer HS hulls. They do not last as long as the previous version of the AA Hull. But they load up ok. I usually load them 5-6 times and toss. No doubt the STS hulls are better, but the HS hulls are decent.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the 28 and 410, the AA HS still rule the roost.

12 and 20, STS or Gun Clubs are the way to go if you dont want to mess with AA HS in those gauges.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
In the 28 and 410, the AA HS still rule the roost.

12 and 20, STS or Gun Clubs are the way to go if you dont want to mess with AA HS in those gauges.

All true. Lifespan of .410 HS is about 50% better than the older CFs. And you can juice them to well over 1300 fps.

But, like Bobski, have a metric crap-ton of old-styles in .410 and 28. (well, also 20 and 12) So I give or sell my HS hulls in .410/28.

A minor advantage favoring old .410s and 28s, required powder charge is less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobski
gave away my age.
here ya go.

I have one of those 500 round cases of old style 12 ga AA 1-1/8 oz 8's that I won at a trap shoot over 25 years ago. It's been sitting on a shelf under my reloading bench ever since I won it.

A few years ago I found that Hornady makes a spring loaded priming ram for their 366 reloaders that allow you to reload both old style and the new style HS Win AA cases interchangeably. I bought one and I now load both old and new AA cases. The new style cases just fail quicker.

When I used to shoot Trap I would load the red AA cases with 1 ounce of 8's for 16 yard Singles and the first shot in Doubles, and the grey AA cases with 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2's for my 27 yard Handicap and the second shot in Doubles.

Now that I mainly just shoot Skeet, I load the red (and some orange) 12 ga AA cases with 3/4 ounce loads of #8-1/2 shot.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yep. great old hull.
25 years ago is when I won mine too! :>
did you know the navy use to provide aa 12ga hulls to its shooting teams?
win had a military contract with the navy. all military aa hulls were generically marked....SHOTSHELL, 12GA, 8.
ill see if I can find one and post it.

around 1996....estate won the contract and went on to provide all the skeet rounds and buck shot for desert storm and beyond.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Yep. Really miss the old 500 cases of shells. Good ole days.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bobski
gave away my age.
here ya go.

I remember paying $38 a case for them. That was a while ago.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't buy a lot of factory ammo anymore, well, never have! But I do think you can still buy a case of shotgun shells. Simply take two flats at a time to check out! :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
234 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 35 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.