Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I was talking to guy that sells and installs tires for Costco not long ago. He was putting new Michliens on my truck, 265/70R17's for $239 each. Since they were such a great deal, I asked him about something from Michlien for my Jeep. He told me that the BFG AT's out last anything else by a good bit if you do much off roading. Said the rubber doesn't get worn off the tire nearly as fast as the other makes of off road tires.
What has been your experience(s) with them ? E

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good for mild off roading and washboard/national forest roads. My last set of tires were the BFG ATs. I got 76K miles out of them and they were not down to the wear bars yet. I could have gotten another 5-7K miles, but I needed a new set of tires due to a 3500 miles hunting trip. I currently have a set of BFG KM2s with ~35K miles on the 4Runner now. After this set wears out, I might go back to the BFG ATs.

2001 4Runner bought new with Michelin LTX m/s tires --82K miles

2nd set of tires BFG ATs --76K miles

Current set of tires BFG KM2s--35K miles

I'm currently at 192K miles on the odometer. I'm hoping the KM2s last 50K miles.

Last edited by jmsdad; 09/29/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eremicus, just a thought. Give the guys at Tire Rack a call for suggestions. These guys really know tires. My experience with quite a few different brands is soft or softer compounds like those from Goodyear grip rocks best and wear out the fastest on pavement. Dunlap's wear like iron on pavement, and suck off-road.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I wouldn't consider the BFG A/T the best offroad tire at all. They don't self clean well in mud at all. However for a truck that spent say 90% of its life on pavement, it would be a good tire choice. They are good on ice and they last quite a long time, but traction is king off road for me and there are lots of better choices.

Lots of people praise the sidewall strength of the BFG A/Ts, however they are the only tires that I have ever really had sidewall issues with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to joke with my buddies and say..."if they're quite they don't work"...

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It sure is up toward the top, IMO.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have three 4x4 pick ups and all wear BFG TA's...

No tire is perfect for all conditions...big meaty mud tires

will howl on the hwy....but clean better in the mud...for me

the BFG AT is a great compromise...my 2500HD Chev has gotten

60K trouble free miles on a set..rotate them & keep air up

on them..chains are the only choice for extreme snow/mud

conditions..or a Yamaha Rhino with heavy meats on it.. I'd

recommend Disount Tire for your online store purchase...

Last edited by tikkanut; 09/30/11.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am going to be mounting some Cooper AT3 tomorrow, will see how they are both on and off the road.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a bunch of BFG All Terrains, mostly on 3/4 ton diesels. I wouldn't call them an off road tire, but they are a decent compromise for snow, mud, and pavement.

I never got many miles out of them but diesels trucks are heavy in the front and hard on tires.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ATs are nice for unpaved forest/2track roads, snow, and other basic usages but NOT for real mud/slime. One of the best off road tires is Goodyears MTR. Many of the rock crawlers have them for hardcore wheeling, sidewalls very tough, tread life on my 85 toyota 4runner went just a hair over 45k.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 5spd
...my 85 toyota 4runner...

You lucky SOB, that's the best production year of one of the all-time great 4WD's.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
E...not sure if ya already bought tires or are still out focusing LOL...JKJK

Now on to tires. I bought the Goodyear SilentArmors, LT265/75/16 and been happy with them for about 18k miles or so. I keep em rotated though and when I initially bought them this Tacoma was my second vehicle. It quickly became my primary vehicle so I have put on about 18k miles full time driving. I do drive some mud roads and in the snow around here which we had a blizzard a year ago. My truck actually worked in the snow blizzard with these tires without engaging the 4X4 LOL.

I pondered over this for a bit of time and read those on TTORA who had their opinions. IMO Goodrich is too proud of their tires BF Goodrich AT and sell for that reason but oftne you can find rebates on the tires. For my SilentArmors I got 'em for $185 each.

As someone suggested check discount tires they have pretty good deals and their price includes shipping if I remember correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogballs
they are a decent compromise for snow, mud, and pavement

Yep , I had a set on a full size Bronco. They do not do so well in mud , which there is a lot of here. They did well in snow , which there is not a lot of here

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by duckster
I am going to be mounting some Cooper AT3 tomorrow, will see how they are both on and off the road.

I just put a set of these on my 2500HD this week. Very good "looking" tire and quiet for such an aggressive tread. Made in the USA too, we'll see how they do...

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
BFG AT KO?
i wouldn't say that? tire rack is a great source for tire surveys and reviews! i been a customer of theirs for many years.
but all good things sometime come to an end,due to price. I have a 2500HD GMC 4x4 and the highest rated Comercial tire came out to be the goodyear wrangler duraTrac. I called them to do a price match to Discount tires direct but they failed to do so?
we'll i have 4 setting here waiting to get put on,and they look MEAN! they are replacing Bridestone Dueler AT Revo's which served me very well!
mud/snow and rolling hills everywhere,not a problem with rocks,and off road alot.
these tired look absolutely incredible!

Last edited by rem06; 10/07/11.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They're ok. I've had a few sets over the years,but IMO,there are better tires on the market now.

I've ran the tires below,and would take any of them over BFGs

Goodyear Silent Armors
Bridgestone Revos
Toyo A/Ts
Toyo M55s
Nitto Terra Grapplers
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a new Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins in 2008 and it had Michelin 10 ply tires on it. It is the first truck I bought new that I didn't put new tires on before I took it home. I would have to say that against Toyo and Yokohama, the Michelins were better and had less aggressive tread to begin with.

These tires now have 40,000 miles on them and need replaced for this winter and hunting season. The pictures show the original tires with 35,000 miles on them and still bucking quite a bit of snow. I bought Michelin again this time in the LTX A/T 2, a more aggressive tread. I expect great things from them and will be able to report in a year or so...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The BF's came on my '06 Dodge Power Wagon 285-17's and lasted 60,000 miles. Not the best tires in ice and snow conditions.
I too went with the Michelin LTX A/T 2 in 285-17's, and have been extremely happy with the choice. Check out Tirerack's survey, they rank high on the list.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
i almost went with the silent armours,that was my second choice but went with the numbers?

tire reack survey

can someone answer, What is the difference in a comercial tire?

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Just bought a new set of those Michelins for my '06 Dodge 4WD diesel.
I was asking for a an off road tire, not a combination all weather and road conditions tire.
The BFG MT's are what I should have asked about, not the AT's. They MT's are suppose to be outstanding when it comes to long thread life with lots of rocky, rough road use which is really hard on street and highway tires. They are also suppose to be very resistant to side wall damage. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.