Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Spent most of the day over at a buddies house splitting wood. He had two oak and one hickory tree cut down and cut into 2 foot logs. We rented a log spliter and went to town, 26ton rated, made in America too. That thing was a hoss, we could barely keep up. Some photos of the end results:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am worn slap out!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
beautiful pile!

I wish we could get some good hard wood out here in Idaho for our fireplaces and stoves. Mostly Western Red Cedar and the western pines, Lodgepole, spruce. etc. which are softer than the back East/South woods.

Enjoy your fire this winter.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
That's a lot of work. I bet you'll sleep well tonight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pile of wood. I doubt I'm physical condition to do anything but split with a power-splitter these days, but sure earned my merit badges doing it with mauls, and axes as a young buck.

In some ways I miss the time, and effort spent cutting, splitting, and ranking wood. I'd be a liar however if I said I have anything but contempt -- total, and complete -- for tending the firebox. In cold weather, stoking every couple hours made for a pretty predictable lifestyle (and it never included much sleep).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yowzer, that be a bunch of far wood!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, but he CHEATED a bit and took the easy way out. He used a damn log splitting machine instead of doing things right and he thinks he's tar'd out Lee. Wusseys (hee! hee!)

Flower Child

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have lasted two weeks "back in the day".

The farm house was a huge, multi-storied rambling ol' barn of house with poor insulation. Dad saw no reason to spend any money insulating, and why would he? - he recognized free heat when he saw it - me!

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ya, we cheated but no way would I want to split that much by hand. BTDT I have a little more to split Sunday afternoon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's okay,
Have at it some more. Winter is coming fast upon us and times a wasting. That's why my wood gets done in the spring before planting season starts and gets ta finish cure'n up during tha heat of summer for the year after the coming winter. My coming winter's wood has already done cured one summer already and at the end of this summer is ready to go. Really well cured wood burns hotter so ya need less of it ta keep warm. That in turn allows ya ta get ahead of the curve for the following winter's wood and so on. But you'll find out fer yerselves. ALL of my wood has seen at least 2 summers worth of cure on 'em and most of tha stuff I'm a currently burning has 6-10 summers worth of cure on 'em. Lots of reserve wood that way fer if thar's a time when somethin keeps me from making more wood one year. Ya got ta plan ahead a wee bit unless ya like ta carry lotsa wood in from outside and clean tha stove pipe just fer fun.

Flower Child

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya, we cheated but no way would I want to split that much by hand. BTDT I have a little more to split Sunday afternoon.

Seems smart to me. No way I'd be able to hand-split that much hardwood now, and didn't particularly care for it when I could. Oak, and especially elm, split best when outside temperatures were somewhere around minus-tolerable to human limits, so I'd freeze 'n' sweat - all in the same session(s).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really well cured wood burns hotter so ya need less of it ta keep warm.

It also decreases -- dramatically -- the chance of burning the house down from a chimney fire. The cresote in green-wood made many homeless families.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I know, but hand splitting tha wood keeps me from get'n too old 'n fat plus tha price of a split'n machine just ain't justifiable when ya kin do it youself fer nutin. 'Sides when the young beef cakes 'n town see an old man throwing fertilizer 'n seed bags like they is made outta styrofoam, it kinda reminds 'em ta keep a civil tongue in their head 'round my grand daughters. Ya know what I mean?

Flower Child

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I taught my grand daughters basic self defense, and how to shoot. grin

Now, I can also relay that sisters (applies to grand daughters as well) can get far more wood split, hauled, and ranked than any man.
They get their boyfriends to do it!

I'm versed, trust me (five sisters).

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The old saying around here is that heating with wood warms you twice, once when you cut it, second when you burn it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So true. In my case, a third, and fourth possibilty existed as well; If Mom's warming the ears didn't motivate me, Dad's hands would.
"Get some wood put-up".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.