Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I had a Remington 597 in 17 HMR. I sent the rifle in under the recall and had it rebarreled into .22 Mag. That took over 8 months so I dont really want to send it in again.

Anyway, it is a semi auto rifle and it will only shoot one round. The empty will not eject unless manually ejected. Is this thing dirty? How does it work? Should the rebarrel cause this at all?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is recoil operated, and, since you are at the mercy of factory loaded ammo, you have to look at other things that can cause the problem such as the action spring assembly, or, "assemblies" in this case, or, excess dirt and/or lack of proper lubrication.

I would recommend pulling it down and giving it a good cleaning and a light lubrication and then see what it does. Inspect the springs and guide rails while they are out of the gun for cleaning to make sure they aren't kinked, bent or otherwise damaged. Dont forget to put a drop of oil on the action springs guide rails while you are at it. I believe the action springs are the same for 17 HMR as the 22 Mag, but I wouldn't worry about that until after the gun is cleaned and tested. If the problem still exists then I would look at the springs or the guide rails. But for now, unless damaged, you have to assume that the springs are correct. Be sure to use good quality ammunition. Good luck!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you saying it does not extract or does not eject? They are different problems

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
The action does not cycle after I shoot it. I shot 1 box of 50 and it cycled 1 time only. On rare occasions it would stove pipe, or half eject. Normally, the empy would still be in the chamber because it didnt cycle the action far enough to remove it. The extractor does grab the shell. The rifle has about 300 rounds through it since new and worked fine when it went in. I was wondering about springs etc.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Malm
It is recoil operated, and, since you are at the mercy of factory loaded ammo, you have to look at other things that can cause the problem such as the action spring assembly, or, "assemblies" in this case, or, excess dirt and/or lack of proper lubrication.

I would recommend pulling it down and giving it a good cleaning and a light lubrication and then see what it does. Inspect the springs and guide rails while they are out of the gun for cleaning to make sure they aren't kinked, bent or otherwise damaged. Dont forget to put a drop of oil on the action springs guide rails while you are at it. I believe the action springs are the same for 17 HMR as the 22 Mag, but I wouldn't worry about that until after the gun is cleaned and tested. If the problem still exists then I would look at the springs or the guide rails. But for now, unless damaged, you have to assume that the springs are correct. Be sure to use good quality ammunition. Good luck!

Thank you. That is good information. I am shooting the 30 grain rounds with the polymer tip. Pretty sure it was the Hornady brand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As you can imagine, I get a lot of .22's through this shop for a wide variety of feeding issues. The two biggest issues can be traced to maintenance and ammo.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
As you can imagine, I get a lot of .22's through this shop for a wide variety of feeding issues. The two biggest issues can be traced to maintenance and ammo.
Exactimundo....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a 597 in 17 HMR years back. I also had the 22 Mag barrel so that I could swap calibers. You may want to check the tension of the two action rods that hold the recoil springs. If the allen screws holding the action rails in place are too tight, the bolt will not move freely and the gun won't cycle correctly. I found this out by tightening the screws too much after cleaning my rifle. IIRC, the screws being finger tight worked the best.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.