-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have decided to take my son to unit 23 for antelope next week due to the large amount of left over tags and public land. Does any one know if you can camp on public land ( BLM)? Also, anyone hunted this unit before that could give me some advice?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Camping on BLM is okay
http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/field_offices/Pinedale/recreation/camping.html
I don't have a map handy to tell you about public land in that area. I'll be hunting next week right next door in 113

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I hunted there, the western third of 23 has a bunch of public but it is tricky to access. You can camp anywhere on BLM but check on fire danger.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless you're on a public road, you cant cross private land to access public, so plan the route carefully.

The only public land you can't camp on in Wyoming is the State land (blue on the maps).

Good luck!

Last edited by oldslowdog; 09/29/11.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Are you the same person who was looking at area 26 earlier? If so I am glad to hear you changed to 23. I was one of the ones who said 26 will be fine. Well after spending last Sat down there trying to hunt the checkerboard there were darn few antelope seen and no big bucks at all. Finally got my son on one on a state section and he got it.

Anyway get the walk in hunting and fishing guide, there are a couple walk in areas in 23 and it works as a generic BLM map. Also get the Gillette BLM map. If you are coming to Gillette Rocky Mountain Sports on HWY 59 is a good place for info and maps, and other goodies.

I live in Gillette, PM me if you need any help

Todd

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Unless you're on a public road, you cant cross private land to access public, so plan the route carefully.

The only public land you can't camp on in Wyoming is the State land (blue on the maps).

Good luck!

Not so, you can camp on "schoolie land" but fires are a no no.

Golden............
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the info. I did change from unit 26 because my private land fell through and unit just north looked pretty good. I have BLM maps on the way for the whole unit, so I will start looking them over good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by davidlea
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Good luck!

Not so, you can camp on "schoolie land" but fires are a no no.

Wrong! http://slf-web.state.wy.us/landrestrictions/

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
23 is tough to access much good public. I live right in 23. But on the bright side there are alot of antelope. Hope you do well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got my BLM maps today and looks like a lot of public land. Looks to be some pretty uneven/steep terrain. Would this be better to get away from roads/hunters? My son is heading to basic soon and is in really good shape, so we would like to put some miles on our boots if any one has any suggestions of a decent place that is harder to get to.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sent you a PM with some info - nothing great but maybe it will help. I'd sure try and get ahold of Dan Thiele the local bio for that area, he has been a great help in the past so if you can track him down maybe he can help find some spots to at least start with.
Good luck - I'll be just west of there next week right about now in Kaycee.
Good hunting!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks EH76....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you are both in good shape and want to hike and hunt, which is my favorite. Find one of the couple access points to the public. Once you are on them, start hiking till you find a goat that you like. You most likely have to pack them out but after you get a half mile off the road, you be by yourself.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the advise. We're both in good shape and will be taking a couple packs that we have used to pack out elk/mule deer before ( about 5 mi, one way), so I think we will be fine. Still going to give the local bil a try and see what he has to say.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
It may look like alot of public, but most of it is inaccessable. But, best of luck. It has been a circus so far with hunters trying to find access.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by loborojo
It may look like alot of public, but most of it is inaccessable. But, best of luck. It has been a circus so far with hunters trying to find access.

I just found that out myself in Unit 25. Very frustrating but I finally found some public land I could get to and managed to collect a 12" buck. Lesson learned.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.