Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somewhat off topic, but...

I'm not european. I'd suggest most of the rest of the world likes doubles. The modern doubles shoot very accurately, can be regulated by the owner and are far more compact and point faster than any repeater action. I'd argue the modern double is the ultimate incarnation of the woods rifle, but are also a genuine great all around compact hunting rifle. And that rifle above is far more corrosion resistant than stainless steel, due to the treatment processes it goes thru.

Sadly, they just never caught on in the US - i dream of the day i could buy a double at US-manufactured prices, rather than German.

Personally, i really liked the look of the 338 RCM, though i thought the claim that it produced 338 WM performance looked a little unlikely. Looked more likely to be 338-06 to me - not that that is a bad thing. Are the RCMs selling?

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doubles have never been my cup of tea.

And for anyone who wants a compact rifle for hunting here in the states, spending what I`d guess to be a good $3k or maybe even more for that Blaser?,,,,,is absolutely ridiculous.

It might be built extremely well, have the best wood, and go through all of the corrosion treatments and such, but nevertheless, it is for lack of better words, very im-practical here in the states. Just the price alone makes it im-practical for most.

And and if you were to say compare with a stop watch, a seasoned user of good quality bolt actions vs another seasoned Blaser double user, I`d be willing to wager, that by the time that seasoned user of his Blaser fires his first shot, re-aims and fires his second shot, then ejects and reloads two more shells, aims and fires his third shot, and then re-aims and fires his fourth shot, the seasoned user of the quality bolt action won`t be far behind,,,if at all.

In a DGR application for when there might be some kind of a charging emergency, then the doubles in those types of circumstances have some merit because of a quicker 2nd follow up shot. But otherwise imo,,,,no.

And if a dangerous animal were still charging me after by some remote chance the first two shots had failed to stop it, I wouldn`t want to be fumbling around in a damn big hurry trying to eject two empty shells and put two more rounds in while on the run...No thank you.....I`ll gladly take 4 or 5 rounds combined in the magazine and chamber using a bolt action vs two rounds in a double.

I haven`t been following the progress of the 338 RCM. I would have to assume that if Ruger is still making 338 RCM Hawkeye things are still ok.

I happen to think very highly of the 338 RCM M77 Hawkeye. But since I already have a 375 Ruger Alaskan of the same OAL and a 338-378 MK5 Bee too,,,,,,,,,then oh well.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

M
M
Hello,
longtime lurker but only a few posts. I had interest in the 338 RCM but I am primarily a Remington man. So I built one from a 700 WSM with a #5 Shilen select match, Wyatt's extended box magazine to allow seating to 2.96". I left the barrel at 26" figuring I could always cut it down. This easily shoots under MOA with most bullets I have reloaded. More surprisingly is that it feeds exceptionally well. 3100 fps is easily obtained with 180gn bullets and well over 3200 with Barnes 160ttsx. I am very pleased with the RCM design and I am currently building a 6.5x338RCM for a true short action 6.5. I have a 6.5-284 and a 6.5 Remington Mag on short actions but I couldn't resist the 6.5 RCM after working with the RCM cases and ease of feeding in the Remington. Incidentally, a reamer was on file at PTG so I ordered both reamer and gauges.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John T
Luckily sambar are quite a big animal and you shoudlnt have any problems shooting them across a gully with the 300 RCM.

Let us know how you get on in the field.
Gus

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.