Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Newbie here, but not to the forum worlds.

Well here are my questions. I searched and found multiple good and bad, but not everything I need. So here it goes;

I would like to find an inline for next season, now I mean I'll be likely to buy after this Christmas. We have mule deer, elk, moose, bear, well I'm in Utah so there. Anyway, most of the land I hunt is mountainous and draws with a hint of buck brush oak. Long range is a must, as well as good close action so really what I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. Some of my long range shoots have been at 800 yards, and brush to 50 feet. Now I know 800 yards is out of the question, but even a good 400 yards would be nice. I usually only go for the mulies and elk.

Now here's the kicker; I have a bad right shoulder so I can't take the kick, and from what I've seen I am going to have trouble loading because of the pushing of the ram rod. So any thing out there will help in that area please advise me.

Also the look and functionality; with a bad shoulder I have usually gone with thumb hole stocks, laminate stocks (for added weight and ruggedness) and good outside thread muzzle breaks. I also want it Stainless and either gray wolf or camo color (including camo barrel if offered).

I would like an out of the box good gun with little need for playing around with 1,000 types of powder and bullets. Now I don't mind playing around and dialing it in, but something with some good history in the powder and bullet compatibility. Fine tuning isn't an issue, but it plays hell with my shoulder so a good building block to stand on is important.

I also would like the option of using white or powder / smokless and pellets as needed. (don't know if that's right?)

I would like to spend less then $500 for the gun or up to the $600's if it comes with a decent scope. Again, a good all around out of the box gun or combo. Now if I can find a good gun combo for $100, well I don't care as long as it works as intended for my use.

Thanks
~Rustin~

Here are our Utah muzzleloader 2011 rules:

Muzzleloaders
Utah Code � 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-10
Muzzleloaders may be used during any big
game hunt�except the archery hunt. To hunt
big game with a muzzleloader, your muzzleloader
must meet all of the following requirements:
� It can be loaded only from the muzzle.
� It must have open sights, peep sights or a
fixed non-magnifying 1x scope.
� It can have only one barrel, and the barrel
must be at least 18 inches long.
� It cannot be capable of firing more than
once without being reloaded.
� The powder and bullet�or powder, sabot
and bullet�cannot be bonded together as
one unit for loading.
� It must be loaded with black powder or a
black powder substitute. The black powder
or black power substitute cannot contain
nitrocellulose-based smokeless powder
� To hunt big game, you must use a lead or
expanding bullet or projectile that�s at least
40 caliber in size.
� If you�re hunting deer or pronghorn, your
bullet must be 130 grains or heavier, or your
sabot must be 170 grains or heavier.
� If you�re hunting elk, moose, bison, bighorn
sheep or Rocky Mountain goats, you must
use a 210-grain or heavier bullet, or a sabot
bullet that�s at least 240 grains.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
encore and an aimpoint?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, 400 yards isn't going to be a possibility without scope magnification. Utah doesn't allow smokeless so I would look for a quality blackpowder guns. A T/C Omega would be a good choice with Blackhorn 209. Just my opinion.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well I have dropped animals at 800 yards with open sights and a Savage 30/30 so I know it can be done, open sights just makes it really (#$*&^$ hard....LOL

Anyway, I have been looking at the T/C's however there seems to be some smack on them here. I've also seen the CVA like this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CVA-Accura-V2-Stainless-SteelRealtree-APG-50-Caliber-Muzzleloader-with-Scope-Thumbhole-Stock/1231261.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100199%26Ne%3D5100199%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dscope%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dscope%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=scope

Or this one which I think includes a starter pack: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CVA-Accura-V2-Stainless-SteelRealtree-APG-50-Caliber-Muzzleloader-with-Scope-Thumbhole-Stock/1231261.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100199%26Ne%3D5100199%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dscope%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dscope%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=scope

However, again what about the kick, is there anything out there that helps?

I see that Cabela's has a few, however I'd order it the gun.

I do like the easy 90 degree breach plugs I have seen, that's a great idea.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Limbsaver makes buttpads for most of common muzzleloaders. That will help the recoil.

You may find a difference in trajectory in shooting a muzzleloader at 800 vs. a 30/30. I would look at shooting at a more ethical range of 200 yards and enjoy the hunt.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rustin
Well I have dropped animals at 800 yards with open sights and a Savage 30/30
Accident's do happen.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well of coarse!

The whole point in it is to be able to get closer to the animals with camo, sent, and calls. I hope never to have to use a 400 yard shot, however if needed I would like to see me at least be able to make it there. I have seen a friend of mine hit coffee cans at 300 yards with his 50 cal, so I appears a good long range shot under 400 is do-able, but hard. My main question is what model and what options can I use, but stay within the criteria if possible?

What about muzzle breaks?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You have to forget about 400 yd muzzleloader shots. There are muzzleloaders that will shoot that far, but they cost in the thousands, and take huge amounts of powder. The recoil will not be friendly to your shoulder.

Think more about 200yds, and the recoil will still be stout.

Animals aren't tin cans.

Last edited by Old_Hunter; 10/04/11.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Newbie here, but not to the forum worlds.

Well here are my questions. I searched and found multiple good and bad, but not everything I need. So here it goes;

I would like to find an inline for next season, now I mean I'll be likely to buy after this Christmas. We have mule deer, elk, moose, bear, well I'm in Utah so there. Anyway, most of the land I hunt is mountainous and draws with a hint of buck brush oak. Long range is a must, as well as good close action so really what I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. Some of my long range shoots have been at 800 yards, and brush to 50 feet. Now I know 800 yards is out of the question, but even a good 400 yards would be nice. I usually only go for the mulies and elk.

Now here's the kicker; I have a bad right shoulder so I can't take the kick, and from what I've seen I am going to have trouble loading because of the pushing of the ram rod. So any thing out there will help in that area please advise me.

Recoil is really up to you-- after all, you're the fellow that decides what load into your frontstuffer. If recoil is a serious issue, get an Evoshield recoil shirt. They are outstanding.

The "400 yard" thinking isn't particularly realistic. But that also is up to you. If you can put your shot into a 4 inch circle under hunting conditions without fail at 100 yards, that's your effective range. If you can do it at 600 yards, then that's your range as well. Animal movement, wind drift, and the long time of flight associated with large diameter projectiles doesn't make that greatly appealing. How far do you shoot a .45-70 or a .444 Marlin? All up to you.

Hunting coffee cans is the better idea. No limit, no tags needed, etc. No one HAS to take a 300 yard shot, much less a 400 yard shot. It is a matter of judgement. How far have you shot muzzleloaders?

--Randy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Seems to me that a 30/30 would have just about enough power to make it 800 yards, let alone penetrate anything when it got there!

JohnP
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A typical .30-30 load (Federal #3030A), assuming just a 10mph crosswind, has about 66 inches of wind drift . . . at 500 yards.

--Randy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would like to spend less then $500 for the gun or up to the $600's if it comes with a decent scope. Again, a good all around out of the box gun or combo. Now if I can find a good gun combo for $100, well I don't care as long as it works as intended for my use

LMAO a decent scope for $100

Now I know 800 yards is out of the question, but even a good 400 yards would be nice. I usually only go for the mulies and elk.

You really are clueless aren't you? Either that or you are pulling the wool over everyones eyes with this joke post

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good luck with this one!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Rustin, after reading your post...this would suit you perfect.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
First off, I don't care about what people think of my shot down hill at 800 yards, it was a fantastic shot and I won $50 right at the time I did it for taking the shot and the deer dropped in it's tracks. Ya that was with open sights, shooting down hill, and aiming about 30 feet over it's back.

I can take the little immature joking but I was actually under the impression there would be some actual help on this forum as you guys seemingly know your [bleep]. Maybe I was incorrect. Ok so 400 yards is out of spec's, I can handle that, now get off the center stage.

I know how much good optics cost as my 7MM has a $700 scope on it. The fact of the matter is, there is only a 1X scope that I can use here legally, so I can only assume a decent scope (not the best money can buy) can only be in the $400 dollar range. Now if you actually read my post I said "or up to the $600's" meaning high $600's therefore meaning really up to $700. Now a package deal with a T/C Bone Collector at $499 and up to $200 bucks for a scope seams reasonable in my mind, and being a package deal one would assume you could get a good deal on the package.

To answer your question, yes I am clueless to the range of inlines, and will happily admit it. I have only shot traditional and that was in my childhood, you had about 70 yards and that was it, not to mention I barely even remember how to load it. So as not to try to "pull the wool over your eyes" I understand I have a lot to learn and that is why I came here asking for help, instead I found some people willing to actually help me and a bunch of 2nd graders thinkin there going to play on the play ground. Guys, I graduated school a long time ago so lets say we knock off the crap?

Here is a picture of my 7mm long action I finished 2 years ago that can pull a 3 Nickle group at 200 yards in about 20 minutes:

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have only shot traditional and that was in my childhood, you had about 70 yards and that was it

Clueless is a gross understatement....suggest you post less and read more you are correct many here will school you but you need to lose your preconceptions and listen sound advise
Many here are players not fans....listen and learn and you can enter the game instead of watching from the stands dreaming!

BTW shooting at a deer for kicks on a $50 bet with a 30' hold over on a guess with opened sights sums up your mentallity...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot a cow elk this year at 70 yds with a traditional ML and a PRB. I considered it the safe limit for the gun and a humane kill.

Go to a modern inline scoped and modern bullets with BH 209, and you can shoot to 200yds. It will still take a well placed shot on the vitals.

Aiming 30 ft over the back is NOT a safe shot in anybodies book. Just reading that is annoying, but i'm still trying to help you. I can only hope you won't take shots like that again.

Last edited by Old_Hunter; 10/05/11.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Go to your local gunshop or cabelas and take a look at the muzzleloaders they have available. I think the aimpoint might be a good idea for a 1x sight. Then go out and practiceand hopefully you learn your gun enough to take 200 yard shots.

ddj

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know more about the vitals of animals then most if not all the people here, I'm a USDA Meat Inspector for hell sakes. Like I said, it was a clean kill and dropped in it's tracks. Not even one step. I know that gun like the back of my hand and I know what it can do and can't. I just didn't kill the deer for no reason, I was on the hunt and it was a good buck, so I took it. Now I really didn't want to walk from the peak of the mountian to the floor then walk over to my truck around the oppisite side of the mountian and that was the main reason I didn't want to shoot it regardless of mount. But for $50 cash right there and bragging rights on a shot I knew I'd hit, well I don't see that that was a bad shoot. Now if you would like to see what is actually a humane kill, well that was a heart shot and far side broken leg. Now if that bothers you I apologize. My question to Old School is this however, if a military sniper shoots a kill shot on a subject (human) at 1.5 miles away is that humane and stupidity? Law states that it is humane and that's why they take the shot.....IMHO

That was years ago and I am a different man now so lets forget about it huh? It's not like I drank a bottle and got into my car.

Anyway, problem here is that I've gone to the local shops but they only have maybe 3 guns in stock because we are in our muzzleloader deer season right now, so they don't want to bring anymore in because they will have to clearance them for the new years models. Cabelas is about 130 miles (one way) away so that is a full days trip, however why go if I can't buy anything because of Christmas and my kids come first before me. Besides I know myself, if I walk into a Cabela's I better have at least $200 on me or I don't go.......LOL

Anyway, if it is an impossible task then I will stop looking, but I think there is something out there for me. Maybe a past model that I would have to buy used or something. In fact, I wouldn't mind buying a used one that a decent person has tested and narrowed down the bullets and powder to at least give me an idea to what to start with. Again, I don't have anything so I have to start with nothing. It's not like I have some old stock sitting around that I could try, I'm going to have to buy each and everything and waste a lot of time to even get started. Now to me that's a lot of shots that hurt like hell that I would like to not have to do.

Then again I can see there are a few of powders out there and bullets people like. So see I'm paying attention.

dvdegorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day. Doesn't matter, I've been secsessful all my life with exception of a single special draw hunt area that the animals where not in at the time of the hunt. 70 yards was a clean paper shot for me at the time, I was only a child like I said. What do you want from me?

Last edited by Rustin; 10/05/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know more about the vitals of animals then most if not all the people here, I'm a USDA Meat Inspector for hell sakes. Like I said, it was a clean kill and dropped in it's tracks. Not even one step. I know that gun like the back of my hand and I know what it can do and can't. I just didn't kill the deer for no reason, I was on the hunt and it was a good buck, so I took it. Now I really didn't want to walk from the peak of the mountian to the floor then walk over to my truck around the oppisite side of the mountian and that was the main reason I didn't want to shoot it regardless of mount. But for $50 cash right there and bragging rights on a shot I knew I'd hit, well I don't see that that was a bad shoot.

Congratulations on your great knowledge.

Really, what did you expect? At 800 yards with a 30 ft. holdover you would have missed the animal, you'd still be about 12 ft. low. TOF is nearly 2 seconds, with a 170 grain bullet you're down to 850 fps and 273 fpe. 10 mph wind drift would be over 158 inches.

There is no one that could possibly help you: I'd be wasting your valuable time.

--Randy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I got this one figured out, you were using one of those new top secret heat seeking bullets when you made that 800yd shoot down hill with open sights and aiming 30 feet above the deer and then you woke up.

Last edited by rick59; 10/05/11.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Naw, but I was using a 160 spitzer boat tail. Don't remember the power/load/primer, hell that was years ago. Again, can we get back on topic please?

***EDIT***

I don't care whether you put this or that on this page. How I could have or could have not made the shot. The fact of the matter is I made the damn shot. Get over it and lets move on, good hell!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Well I have no experience with either but I suppose if your looking for long range and big charges you could look for a KNIGHT LONG RANGE HUNTER or maybe a SAVAGE smokeless powder muzzleloader that also allows the use of black powder. They both have good strong barrels.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
dvdgeorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day.
Everyday? You must be a professional poacher! Let's see some pics? Since your guessing the amount dvdgeorge's game kills... How many more animals have you killed than me?

I know more about the vitals of animals then most if not all the people here, I'm a USDA Meat Inspector for hell sakes.
Tube steak inspector.

Well I have dropped animals at 800 yards with open sights and a Savage 30/30
Animals is plural.... seem's your backtracking now. I do believe you have killed animals(plural) over 800 yards with a 30/30 open-sights......on your Sony Playstation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't care if you want to brag on your shooting prowess and ability. I was trying to explain that with the limitations set by the state of Utah, you are unable to use modern muzzleloaders to their fullest thus decreasing your effective range to less than what you are looking for. I didn't want you to buy a muzzleloader and be unhappy with the results and worse wound game animals unnecessarily.

ddj

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't buy anything made in Spain. A T/C is about the only thing left which really sucks.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to see you posting here Randy.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Check out the CVA Optima. They are one hell of a muzzy for a low price and don't need trigger jobs like those $800 TC's!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Using both inlines and traditionals and killing a few animals with them,I can safely say that 100 yards with a 100 gr charge and a bullet in the 275-300 gr weight class is pretty much going to limit one to about 100 yards. Certainly not 200 yards.

I have a TC Black Diamond ER that can take up to 150 gr of powder, but I seriously doubt that it is going to do a clean kill past 200 yards. I tried to put a Williams reciever sight on it,and with 100 gr of 777 and a 295 gr PB, I could not get the peep up high enough to shoot zero at 100 yards. I was still lacking about 8 ".

The 100gr load has a pretty hefty recoil although I am a little arthitic in the shoulder and recoil dose bother me, but I can't see stuffing another 50 gr's of powder in it without severely bothering my shoulder. As the OP said he has problems with recoil also,I do not see any avenues for him to procede. Thinking he is going to do better than 150 yards, let alone 300 or so is a dream especially considering he stated he might have problems even with the loading.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/05/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Naw, but I was using a 160 spitzer boat tail. Don't remember the power/load/primer, hell that was years ago. Again, can we get back on topic please?

***EDIT***

I don't care whether you put this or that on this page. How I could have or could have not made the shot. The fact of the matter is I made the damn shot. Get over it and lets move on, good hell!

This is too unbelievable.

The front sight at 800 yds would be way bigger than the whole deer. Plus you held 30 ft over it. We need to figure in some windage. How could you possibly say you aimed that? You could wave the gun in the air somewhere, and hope for the best.

Bullet energy (fpe) would be at BB gun levels for a 30-30.

Hardly an ethical shot. If you did make it. I'd bet all my savings you couldn't repeat it.

Good hunters don't make 800 yd shots with a high dollar flat shooting gun and very good optics. They can also repeat it, because they practice those shots over and over.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
slg888<----I'm not going to play that game like a 2 year old. Stop wasting time and forum resources for non-topic related garbage. I never bragged, I simply said that it could be done, and it was done. There is no backing up so get over it and fully read my posts.

Anyway, thank you guys for ideas. I looked at the Savage 10 ML-II and love the idea that it does have a stronger barrel and the fact that it can shoot white powder. I do have to move around quite a bit so having the opportunity to use different loads and such makes me think that it might be the best way to go. I did find a picture of one here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/6237/947347661/wm_md_2434375.jpg Does anyone know if it came stock that way or was it custom built?

Are there any others out there that can shoot other powders like Savage and Knight?

I saw the CVA Optima and it looks perfect as well. Has a great look, just like what I am looking for, but I do like extra options too!

Trouth<--- Not trying to brag. Anyway, that's why I posted up our laws, well at least the laws in Utah.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
dvdegorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day. Doesn't matter, I've been secsessful all my life with exception of a single special draw hunt area that the animals where not in at the time of the hunt. 70 yards was a clean paper shot for me at the time, I was only a child like I said. What do you want from me?

Keep dreaming your dreams.... and all that success form someone that can't spell successful....I don't consider the stomping of cockroaches that live in your double wide kill'in critters

Stick around here you are on track to over take the likes of Swampman or Jeff_O for biggest dolt to add to your impressive resume

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the Savage is a great muzzleloader, maybe the best I have found but there is a couple problems. I'm not sure I would get a Savage if you are going to shoot black powder as it is illegal to shoot smokeless in Utah. Also, the Savage ML-II is going to cost you more than you want to spend if you want stainless.

ddj

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Old_Hunter

This is too unbelievable.

The front sight at 800 yds would be way bigger than the whole deer. Plus you held 30 ft over it. We need to figure in some windage. How could you possibly say you aimed that? You could wave the gun in the air somewhere, and hope for the best.

Bullet energy (fpe) would be at BB gun levels for a 30-30.

Hardly an ethical shot. If you did make it. I'd bet all my savings you couldn't repeat it.

Good hunters don't make 800 yd shots with a high dollar flat shooting gun and very good optics. They can also repeat it, because they practice those shots over and over.

Your right, I couldn't see the deer because the sight was WAY too big. Listen, I made the damn shot and I really don't care about it, the fact of the matter that was years ago and I don't shoot every day now like I did back then. I lived in the mountians and did shoot every day. The fact is that was then and today I haven't shot my rifle sense I built it, which was about 2 years ago. I couldn't hit the brod side of a barn now! I bet if I were to go out right now and shoot a set and post em you would then accuse me of cheating. Like I said I'm not going to play that game, now grow up and lets please get back on topic...OMG!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Keep dreaming your dreams.... and all that success form someone that can't spell successful....I don't consider the stomping of cockroaches that live in your double wide kill'in critters

Stick around here you are on track to over take the likes of Swampman or Jeff_O for biggest dolt to add to your impressive resume

LOL��Bite me!

Sounds like you live in a single wide and have buck teeth someone can kick a field goal for 3 points for the game winner! You have your own spelling issues "form" instead of "from" and also you don't know English grammar. So before you start picking a fight you need to look in a mirror Mr. George of the Jungle!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Your right, I couldn't see the deer because the sight was WAY too big. Listen, I made the damn shot and I really don't care about it, the fact of the matter that was years ago and I don't shoot every day now like I did back then. I lived in the mountians and did shoot every day. The fact is that was then and today I haven't shot my rifle sense I built it, which was about 2 years ago. I couldn't hit the brod side of a barn now! I bet if I were to go out right now and shoot a set and post em you would then accuse me of cheating. Like I said I'm not going to play that game, now grow up and lets please get back on topic...OMG!

Bet you always won the state spelling bee too!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I think the Savage is a great muzzleloader, maybe the best I have found but there is a couple problems. I'm not sure I would get a Savage if you are going to shoot black powder as it is illegal to shoot smokeless in Utah. Also, the Savage ML-II is going to cost you more than you want to spend if you want stainless.

ddj

So are you stating that if you buy the ML-II Savage or Knight, that you can't shoot regular black power in it?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Bet you always won the state spelling bee too!

I can tell you placed in the same round as I did!.... cry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

So are you stating that if you buy the ML-II Savage or Knight, that you can't shoot regular black power in it?

Sorry, no you can shoot blackpowder or a substitute such as 777 in the Savage. If you are going to shoot blackpowder there isn't the need for the strongest of action and I think a T/C Omega would be a great cost effective muzzleloader for your needs. Also, the Savage is in limited production and they don't make the stainless anymore so they are expensive. Just my opinion.

ddj

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you wanna play with the players let's play....I'll go 1st and you follow Great White Hunter
Since we are talking MZ'ers I'll start, and even an animal from your part of the country
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry I was able to hunt and get within 70yds but please feel free to post some 400yd MZ'er kills...you're up Jr.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Savage is the only one that will use all the BP subs plus smokeless.

All the rest will shoot BP and all the subs. Lots of choices for powder and bullets.

You can't shoot the Savage with smokeless powder during ML season in some states. Like here in Colorado. You can still use the Savage during ML season if you use BP and subs. You can also use a ML during rifle seasons with no restrictions.

btw I am grown up. I'm 68 and have been hunting since I was 8 years old. No 800 yd kills, but i've done ok otherwise.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome to the Campfire Old Hunter!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not going to play your BS games Georgei-Porgei! I'm just going to submit to the likes of your bragging. You have got to be the biggest baddest hunter of all time, in fact dare I say you are even larger then Ted Nugent or that of Jim Shockley. Here, here, the king has spoken and wants to flash his egotistical outcry over the nation! All bow to his Majesty, the Turd!......Grow up!

Anyway, thanks Old Hunter. I was just looking at the T/C ENCORE PRO HUNTER 3964. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=3964 It looks like it's pricy, but it does come with a 50% kick reduction stock, thumbhole, speed breach, fluted,....ect from what I can tell.

The T/C OMEGA 8993 looks good as well, but do I need all the other "stuff"?

And what about the CVA? I'm going to go over to their page and download the catalog.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
All the TC guns will serve you well. I think they're overpriced, but good guns.

The CVA has a bad rep with some guys. They had a problem with weak barrels on an older model. They use Bergara barrels now and don't have a problem anymore. Good straight shooters. The Accura V2 is a good gun with an adjustable trigger.

I've owned a TC Omega, CVA Accura V2, Optima, and some Knights. All good guns. Pick the features and price that suit you.

I've gone to traditional muzzleloaders now. A more limited range, but they suit me better. More of a challenge. More fun for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm not going to play your BS games Georgei-Porgei! I'm just going to submit to the likes of your bragging. You have got to be the biggest baddest hunter of all time, in fact dare I say you are even larger then Ted Nugent or that of Jim Shockley. Here, here, the king has spoken and wants to flash his egotistical outcry over the nation! All bow to his Majesty, the Turd!......Grow up!

TFF Was you're only way out

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In the CVA looks like there is the Optima PR2018SM/.50 at only $379.95

or

The CVA Accura-V2 PR3116SM/.50 at a larger $549.95

I don't like the fact that the Durasight rings are not stainless? However the Accura is accuracy guaranteed. But was does "accuracy guaranteed" mean?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

I'm gunna start calling you honey cause you sound like my wife!....Always b!tchin!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Accura and Optima both have Bergara barrels. The Accura barrel has been polished out. It also has the adjustable trigger, but the Optima trigger is still good.

Both of mine were MOA shooters with a scope. I like a light trigger, so I liked the Accura better.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
dvdgeorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day.I know more about the vitals of animals then most if not all the people here, I'm a USDA Meat Inspector for hell sakes.[/

Your quote still cracks me up. laugh laugh

Nice Elk George!

From your home state of Utah Rustin...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 10/05/11.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I'm gunna start calling you honey cause you sound like my wife!....Always b!tchin!

The 800 yd shot is hard to take. You should have known you'd get flak over it. Let it go.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm sure there are plenty more guys he calls honey,after all he is a meat inspector

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That is a nice cat I must say!

Anyway I'm starting to feel like a true Utahan, you girls must be my polygamist wives!......LMFAO!!!!!!

Like I said, I really don't care what people believe.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ok Rustin, Here is my opinion. I've done some extensive research lately on ML's and the CVA Apex is the way I'd go. Seem's everyone that purchased this new ML has raived on the accuracy & quality CVA done with it.

Mike Belmm(custom TC Encore & Omega 'smith) even claims the Apex is the best ML available today.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Really, thanks!

I wonder if I can put a muzzle break on one?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

The CVA has a bad rep with some guys. They had a problem with weak barrels on an older model. They use Bergara barrels now and don't have a problem anymore. Good straight shooters. The Accura V2 is a good gun with an adjustable trigger.

I've owned a TC Omega, CVA Accura V2, Optima, and some Knights. All good guns. Pick the features and price that suit you.

I've gone to traditional muzzleloaders now. A more limited range, but they suit me better. More of a challenge. More fun for me.

OH, Did you find the omega easy to clean, and how did it compare to the CVA Accura in ease of cleaning?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Check out the CVA Optima. They are one hell of a muzzy for a low price and don't need trigger jobs like those $800 TC's!

But they are made in Spain frown

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

OH, Did you find the omega easy to clean, and how did it compare to the CVA Accura in ease of cleaning?

Compared to a traditional ML. The Omega was easy to clean. Compared to the Accura. The Accura was only slightly easier because the BP could be removed by hand, and seemed to stay cleaner. Both are easy to clean though. I wouldn't use that to determine which gun to buy. The Accura was more accurate than the Omega, but that only applies to the two guns I owned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2011 - 2012 Muzzleloaders

In general, break-actions are a horrible design for a rifle. Maybe that's the reason break-actions win nothing at Camp Perry or anywhere else? One piece stocks are the defacto standard in rifles, for all the obvious reasons.

But, "good enough" is good enough. The Encore is the most-copied frontstuffer made . . . the Omega has always been a solid choice.

--Randy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We are talking about hunting Randy. A kill zone is much more forgiving that a paper target.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
haha wakeman always cracks me up.

Break actions are a horrible design yet he sends you a link to his recommended inlines and has the encore & impact listed. laugh

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Thanks, OH and Randy... I appreciate your help, I have been looking to get an Omega as they seem very popular, but haven't totally made up my mind yet...still gathering info!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are talking about hunting Randy. A kill zone is much more forgiving that a paper target.

Sure, you're certainly correct. Still, there is no substitute for shot placement, and hunting does not normally entail stationary targets at the same distances over and over - - - shooting off a lead sled. I've yet to hear of someone complaining that their hunting rifle is just too darn accurate.

The Omega was the biggest smash hit T/C ever had. At least you do have a one piece stock, two action screws, and a decent trigger for a T/C.

The Encore is, obviously, the most copied inline ever made after the Knight MK-85. Most every thing T/C does gets copied-- including their really dumb ideas, like a "quick release" breechplug. Really dumb, particularly the interrupted thread version. Others copied it anyway.

The QLA is another "idea," patented by T/C that people couldn't wait to copy. It does nothing for accuracy, it can destroy it, and it just takes away usable barrel length . . . as does the interrupted thread breechplug.

The Encore has also crept up in price. Perhaps the new FX version will address that? Mine isn't here yet. It also takes away all the oversized hinge pin drama.

Handling, fit, and price points are all something the individual gets to decide. Hunting is hunting-- to me, it is hard to understand why the same fellow with a bedded bolt action centerfire topped with a Swarovski sometimes settles for the cheapest frontstuffer that goes bang, topped by a Pine Ridge or BSA scope. It is puzzlingly common.

No one rightly claims that hunting is "subsistence." It hasn't been that way for a long time. As it is a sport, it isn't hard to understand why some folks want the best equipment available and take pride in it.

When the meat is gone, the gas is burned, the tags are filled . . . often, the only major thing left of lasting value is your rifle. It is one of the few pieces of hunting equipment that isn't a consumable.

--Randy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
it isn't hard to understand why some folks want the best equipment available and take pride in it.
+1, That's why my next ML will be an Apex.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I didn't mean to imply that accuracy isn't important in a hunting gun. I was responding to you saying a break open isn't used in target competition.

The Accura V2 I owned shot MOA all day long with the right load. That is certainly accurate enough for clean kills for the ranges it can shoot game humanely.

The Bergara barrels are very good for a production gun in the CVA price range. It also has an excellent trigger which helps accuracy. It's a lot better than some high dollar CF guns.

The question is will the break open action of the CVA loosen up with use? I haven't heard anything like that happening yet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yeah the old story of " the break action will loosen up" has never been proven nor have i seen anyone say their break open just went tits up.

3,000 rounds out of my original Accura and that sucker would stack them all day long. 5,000 shots last year through 3 break action CVAs and its scary, but they shoot better and better each time i take them out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No idea. The name of the company that makes the gun is Dikar, not "CVA." So-called "Bergara" barrels are nothing new, it is just the name of the town where Dikar is located, in Spain. Dikar front stuffers aren't proof-tested, they never have been, but they have admitted in open court to fraudulently stamping barrels with proof-fring marks that have never, ever seen a proof house and have never been fired. The track record of both Dikar and Ardesa is poor. So, no, I'm not comfortable with them and here's why: http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm

Whether they have "improved" or not is entirely speculation and if you want to just take their word for it, that's your choice. I've has far too many birthdays and have been in this industry far too long to just eat marketing materials.

--Randy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you seen a Bergara barrel fail? Even the ones put in TC guns by the owners?

I have nothing to gain here. I shoot Hawken style guns now. I just hate for your comments to sway someone from buying a CVA if the CVA doesn't have a problem anymore.

I've read many of your articles, and I know how you feel about CVA guns. Is there any proof that CVA guns have a problem now? I'm open minded enough to change if there's a problem.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
just take their word for it, that's your choice.
Randy, what about the hundreds of Apex/Accura user's/reviews on the 'net OR even Mike Bellm's opinion who is considered 'one of the best' well-known custom muzzleloading 'smith's around? Hell, he builds T/C aftermarket parts, but admits the Apex is one of the best built/accurate ML's since it came out.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=572

Seems to me this Apex is recommended by more gun dealers/shooters/Blackhorn than any other brand available....And there not recieving $$ from CVA for the support.

So many outdoor enthusiast w/public web-sites & TV shows are freagin 'wagon riders. They ride the money wagon until another company offers them more. Betcha Micheal Waldell would be pushing Traditions if they made a better offer.

Good example:
"Jim Shockey now hunt's with a .357 Crossman air rifle"....gimme a [bleep] break.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quoting from appellate case 09-1146, filed 12/10/2010, we have:

"When asked for the policy decision or reason as to why Dikar did not proof test the guns, Belatagi explained that �This is not our company�s decision. This is the decision of the
Proofhouse of Eibar. We must do what the proofhouse tells us to do.� Similarly, Muniategui explained in his deposition testimony that Dikar�s purpose in applying the House of Eibar emblem to its barrels was that �the proof house told us to do that.

There are issues like this that are now part of the Public Record, based on sworn testimony given in open court. It is a legit concern, as "CVA" asserted over and over that their guns were proof-tested and intentionally applied a proof-house mark indicating that they had. Now, we know that the CVA (Dikar) proof marks were false.

You couldn't trust them then, so should you trust them now? I have no idea what the Dikar S. Coop policies and procedures are at the present and it doesn't seem like anyone else does, either. Fraudulent proof marks are no joke where I come from.

Lacking any further evidence, what current quality control is or is not is just idle speculation. There is no point in speculation anymore than there was with Firestone-Bridgestone tires or Toyota recalls, or any number of huge consumer cases out there.

All that can be said is that they have a dubious reputation and a poor track record. That is not at all to assert that "all" of them have problems, nor is it possible to just guess as to the viability or quality of one single firearm. That's just guessing and there is no point to it. Not all Firestone tires were defective, not all Ford Pintos had problems, nor are all Toyota's problem-filled.

Quality control is voluntary for muzzleloaders sold in the U.S., and at the discretion of the individual manufacturers. What is or isn't being done today is something that only the Dikar Cooperative itself could answer.

--Randy

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This .45 Encore Bergara barrel had the QLA removed by Bellm. Tightest 100yd group I have shot to date. Some like to dwell on the past and not move on to the future. An Apex from the reports I have seen would be a great gun!! Just my .02 cents.
[Linked Image]
The cardboard backer shows the hits much better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by omega45; 10/05/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Actually CVA Admits that they dont proof test every barrel LOL. They are very open and honest.

I however never see you telling folks that Green Mountain and Thompson Center do NOT test every barrel that they produce.

Toby Bridges shoots Traditions now and thats made in spain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888

Good example:
"Jim Shockey now hunt's with a .357 Crossman air rifle"....gimme a [bleep] break.

I think we all know what spokesmodels are in this country and no matter who is a spokesmodel for MacDonald's, it doesn't make their burgers any better.

There are standards in firearms testing and design: http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_safety_design.htm. The companies that practice them deserve great praise, the ones who put profits ahead of safety deserve condemnation.

A lot of it is just whose ox is being gored. There are many firearm brands that have had great safety problems, from Remington to H & R to a variety of Turkish makers. It is hardly just a muzzleloading issue. In muzzleloading, though, when you consider the concerns of H.P. White, metallurgists, mechanical engineers, long-time industry veterans like Tony Knight and Doc White, there are legit concerns. Would you rather buy a firearm that is proof-tested, or one that isn't? The same goes for a hydraulic hose assembly, any pressure containing vessel, or even a prophylactic.

Consider there are up to 1700 drug recalls every year. Vioxx is considered to be the largest drug recall in history, and one which elicited one of the greatest public outcries. Vioxx, prescribed to more than 20 million people as a pain reliever for arthritis, was found to be responsible for increased risk of heart attack and stroke. Both Merck and the FDA were roundly criticized for ignoring evidence of the dangers of Vioxx before its eventual recall. The Lancet reported that as many as 140,000 people could have suffered from serious coronary heart disease from taking the drug in the US alone. Merck settled Vioxx litigation in the US for $4.8 billion, with close to $1 billion in legal expenses.

That hardly means that taking all prescription medication is bad! The billion dollar recalls make the headlines, though, and the comparatively tiny world of muzzleloading gets no such attention.

--Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I however never see you telling folks that Green Mountain and Thompson Center do NOT test every barrel that they produce.

Then you need to pay closer attention: http://randywakeman.com/A-2011-Look-at-Muzzleloading-Safety.htm

Safety is no "LOL" as far as I'm concerned. For some, perhaps it is.

There is a big collision in standards. Dudley McGarity, C.E.O. of "B.P.I" which bought the "CVA Brand" when CVA was sued into insolvency . . . "B.P.I." is owned by the Spanish co-op, Dikar. Dikar assembles the guns that are branded as "CVA."

I can't fault Dudley for doing his job, which is selling boxes for Dikar. Dudley's a pleasant enough fellow. The collision in standards is a simple one: "CVA" / BPI / Dikar claims to proof-fire every centerfire Accura barrel they sell. I have no information that shows otherwise.

I asked Dudley, "Why?" The answer was words to the effect that proof-firing is a very basic and critical part of quality control.

Alright, so naturally I asked if his opinion is that proof-firing is so vital and so important to all your Accura center-fire barrels, how is it that your muzzleloading barrels are exempt from this basic, critical, vital Q.C. step?

There was of course no answer; you can't have it both ways. Either it is important or it isn't. Dudley replied, "Well-- Good point."

So, of course marketing can say that "CVA is the best in the world" just as marketing departments from all brands like to say that. But, you can't have it both ways. If B.P.I started testing their muzzleloaders properly, I'd be happy to shoot, review, and tout them.

However, if they insist on trying to save a few pesos in QC for something that they do for their CF (and even low-pressure shotgun barrels), just to try to squeeze more dollars out of their front-stuffers, that leaves things the way they have always been-- dubious QC.

It seems quite obvious to me that they easily could do better, but choose not to.

--Randy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Green Mountain barrels used by Knight have a good reputation, backed by quality American steel, that typically goes through ultrasound, dye penetrant, and eddy current testing before the solid bar ever leaves the mill." Typically meaning, they dont all go through this...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So GM and TC don't proof test any of their barrels yet you slam CVA Or Traditions for limited testing out of a bunch? LOL

Last edited by bigblock455; 10/05/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are standards in firearms testing and design: http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_safety_design.htm. The companies that practice them deserve great praise, the ones who put profits ahead of safety deserve condemnation.
Huh...Chuck Hawk?

Here is a Chuck Hawk quote for ya...

"I examined all of the new models at last year�s SHOT Show. The Spanish made CVA APEX and the Traditions Vortek are impressive designs. I wouldn�t hesitate to choose either over an American made Thompson/Center"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/current_state_muzzleloading.htm

CS at BlackHorn also suggested the Apex because of the well-built/accuracy it's obtaining. Hell, if I'm gonna run there powder...I'm gonna take there advice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So GM and TC don't proof test any of their barrels yet you slam CVA Or Traditions for limited testing out of a bunch? LOL

How old are you? Are you brand new to firearms . . . "LOL."

Green Mountain manufactures barrels, not firearms, barrels used by several American manufacturers that do indeed proof-test their product. You proof-test a barreled action, not a barrel that isn't chambered or a barrel only. What would you proof-test it with, or for?

T/C is a division of Smith & Wesson in Springfield, Mass., and of course they do proof-test the majority of the firearms they produce. The T/C continuous magnafluxing of barrels is well-known, as is lot-by-lot testing of certified steel.

Both Green Mountain and Thompson have excellent track records that they have earned over the years. A huge difference. Neither Traditions (Ardesa make) or "CVA" (Dikar make, imported by B.P.I., B.P.I. owned by Dikar) have any significant testing or engineering facilities in the United States that I know of. They sell boxes from Spain.

There is a reason most likely don't have a Spanish pump-gun, autoloader, bolt-action rifle, a Spanish pistol, etc. The legacy of quality guns is Italy, Germany, Belgium, Japan, the United States . . . and experience and a track record is not something to be casually or flippantly dismissed, as far as I'm concerned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Reading comprehension, please. No, it isn't a Chuck Hawks quote at all . . . you yanked it from an article by Randy Smith. Safety & QC and "accuracy" are two different topics. Just because a gun is accurate doesn't automatically make it safe or well-tested. That's like suggesting a car that gets better gas mileage is a safer car. The opposite if often true.

An informed consumer is a better consumer. We all have the ability to do our own homework and make an informed decision. More information, based on history and facts, is a good thing. Anyone can assert anything, particularly anonymously, but being able to show it is something quite different. Recoil is one of the best examples: everything reduces recoil by 42, 48, or 87%, and any number of manufacturers make the "world's softest shooting shotgun." Anyone can say that something is "the best," that takes nothing, but a reasoned response, something that can be observed, shown, and demonstrated is a far higher level. We have all heard "Choosey Mothers Choose JIF!" but that type of bluster is void of the scientific method, meaning "cause and effect."

There is an inclination to name-call and argue over nothing, particularly when it is just what you own. The Ford / Chevy syndrome has gone on for years . . . it seems we just can't contain ourselves. "My Mossberg outshoots your Remchester and my Dad can beat up your Dad." It goes on with scopes, cars, food, televisions, clothes, everything.

If a firearm is more reliable, then let's show it. If a firearm has a faster locktime, let's show it. If a firearm is safer, let's show it. If it has a better trigger, let's show it. If it has a quieter safety, let's how it. If it has a more rigid lock-up, let's show it. If a firearm has better quality control and quality assurance, then let's show it. Merely asserting, claiming, and fawning is what catalogs and marketing departments do.

If you want equipment that suits you, then life is not a popularity contest. MacDonald's sells a lot of cheeseburgers, but that doesn't make them particularly good. A BSA or Simmons scope may well outsells Leupold, Swarovski, etc. . . . but that doesn't make them more worth having. Maybe some folks look for the cheapest doctor, the cheapest dentist, or the cheapest haircut. It hardly means it is a good choice if you care at all about what you're doing.

What anyone buys is their choice. It is up to the manufacturer to convince you that their product is viable, belongs in the stream of commerce, and is a reasonable choice. The rest is up to the individual, as it always has been.

--Randy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Holy crap this post has taken a turn....lets get back on task here...
We need a MZ'er that can shoot 400yds with opened sights,looks nice has a great scope for an additional $100ish, loads by itself cause OP can't reload it,pretty camo stock and barrel, oh and let us not forget a screw on muzzle break

He doesn't care about proof testing as long as it meets the above criteria
Must be hundreds that meet his requirements

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I once nailed a coyote at 80 yards (running) with my sling shot.

I don't care what you say, I made the shot, and that's that. So all you girly-men hunting with rifles, get a slingshot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by smokepole
I once nailed a coyote at 80 yards (running) with my sling shot.

I don't care what you say, I made the shot, and that's that. So all you girly-men hunting with rifles, get a slingshot.

I by no means am doubting your slingshot kill. I would like to see data where it was proof tested though. I do not want to see you get an eye put out with that thing. cool

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Reading comprehension, please

If we can deal with a buck teeth ugly-mug avatar(Is that you or a joke?), surely you can deal with a little reading comprehension.

Hawk's actual quote or not, good CVA reviews coming from his web-site.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/cva_apex_45-70.htm

If a firearm is more reliable, then let's show it. If a firearm has a faster locktime,let's show it. Merely asserting, claiming, and fawning is what catalogs and marketing departments do.
+1.... Get off the money wagon Randy Wakeman and listen to what Hunters/shooters/'Smiths/powder company's ARE saying.

http://muzzleloadertechtips.com/201...istently-make-tight-groups-at-100-yards/
http://www.shootersforum.com/muzzleloaders/59579-cva-apex-acuraccy-problem.html

Last edited by slg888; 10/06/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
listen to what Hunters/shooters/'Smiths/powder company's ARE saying.

They and you are full of $hit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Holy crap this post has taken a turn....lets get back on task here

has it really or is just that one question submitted from a person who may not know better , has been replace by the same standard by someone who IMO twists things for their own betterment .

Does Ardesa , Dikar , did Jukar , proof every barrel . NO .
So why is there a proof stamp . Because they BATCH PROOF thus the proof house has certified the barrels thus clearing the batch to carry thier mark . Now you could argue around the subject of if these marking are provincial markings or actual definitive proofs .

magnafluxing only serves as a Provincial type of proof . IE by magnafluxing they find out if there is any visible reason why the barrel would not pass a Definitive proof ,its not an actual Definitive proof .
Lot by lot testing is just another name for batch testing and does NOT mean every barrel within that lot has been proofed . It only means that �IF� every barrel within that lot , is manufactured to the same standards as the barrel that was tested , then all is relative.

Thus if the US had the same Government enforced laws as many European countries do ,then every one of those barrels within that lot would have to carry a proof mark as the laws accept batch testing as an actual proof .Again under the very same assumption that every barrel made will be identical to the one tested . But the reality of it is we know they are not . Thus there are allowable variables in tolerances that are accepted.

We also must understand that just because a barrel was proofed , it doesn�t mean it stays in proof . Pitting of the barrel is just one thing that removes the proof . If a company like GM were to produce a barrel under English proofing laws , then sold that barrel to a company who cut dove tails , welded , soldered or threaded the barrel for a receiver or lets say they plated the barrel with nickel or chromed it . The barrel is then out of proof and the markings mean nothing .

Now how are you going to proof a barrel that hasn�t been chambered yet .
The answer is you DON�T . A Provincial proof is done. If the barrel blank passes that proof , then you finish the barrel and send it back for a Definitive proof which hopefully it will pass
But concerning muzzle loading , the minute that barrel is bored to a given bore and threaded for a plug , the very same thing has been done as in the chambering process .
IE the finished barrel has been defined . Thus a Definitive proof can then be done .

Lets not also forget that companies here in the US do not have to submit for proof. in fact there is nothing that ensures a company even follows the SAAMI Recommendations when they say they do .All that is just voluntary and we as customers have to accept that they do what they say they do ..

I know for a Fact that one of the best and most reputable muzzleloading barrel makers in the US does very little proofing . The owner has told me so . In fact he has stated this in public and openly that they stopped long ago doing anything more then an accessional batch test.

Most recently in a discussion concerning 12L14 being to soft for safe barrels .
He had this to say .

We have taken12" long pieces of barrel, threaded
and breeched both ends, drilling a hole in it for a fuse, and blew it up. From what has been said on this subject, one
would think this would act like grenade, blowing shrapnel all over the place. Not so, it merely opened up like a banana
peel. We also did the same thing to a piece of barrel that was made in a foreign country, I won't say which one. Now,
this one did act like a grenade, we found only about 1/3 of the barrel, the rest was blow to god knows where. We also
did a lot of proofing real thin barrels with huge loads, could not get them to blow. Also shot barrels with short started
balls, could not get them to bulge or blow. The only way we could get a bulge in the barrel was to load the barrel with
powder and a patched ball pushed all the way down onto the powder, then short starting a ball on top of all this......
bulged the barrel but did not blow it off. As a result of all of this playing around, I kind of thought to myself that it's
sort of foolish to proof a barrel, at least one of ours which I know how it is breeched. There have been a lot of comments
by people who have never made a barrel, nor did any experimental blow-ups. Unless you know what you're talking about
you are doing a great disservice to the muzzleloading game...............Don

So what is more surprising? Is it that some company uses batch testing or magnafluxs and calls it a proof or is it a company who allows barrels with installed breech plugs that have the nipples held in by a heli coil to be sold to the public . Maybe its another US company that for a time sold a lot of barrels with the breech plugs that were just under 1/8 off face

The whole thing is nothing more then listening to obama give a speech . Just one spin after another

Last edited by captchee; 10/06/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"muzzleloadertechtips.com" is a CVA blogsite, with a post over a year old from "Carlos Vilorio, a CVA pro shooter."

"http://www.shootersforum.com/muzzleloaders/59579-cva-apex-acuraccy-problem.html" is a two year old thread about a fellow who is getting 5 inch groups from a .308 "Bergara" barrel, what he calls the worst-shooting .308 he's ever had. He says, "This is suposed to be an accurate Bergara barrel but it is the worst shooting .308 or any other centerfire riffle barrel I have ever experanced."

--Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by captchee
So why is there a proof stamp . Because they BATCH PROOF thus the proof house has certified the barrels thus clearing the batch to carry thier mark .

Have you informed Dikar of your findings and also informed them that they have perjured themselves in Federal Court?

--Randy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Randy...........Lets get to the bottom line. Lets say you're 100% right, and Bergara barrels aren't proof tested.

Have you seen, or even heard of one failing?

Let's not say the sky if falling without getting hit in the head at least once.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i know Carlos and know for a fact that he wouldnt steer any fellow the wrong way. In fact ive heard stories of members being in hard time and he went and gave them an entire new hunting package just to perk them up and make them look forward to a hunting season. Hes a great person.

I've been shooting CVA since i was 16-17 years old, 10 years experience with them and they have never shown a safety issue at all. Hell, i customized an old CVA Blazer " shortened barrel - stock refinish" sent a pic to Dudley " bpi ceo" and he warned me to check out the nipple threads inside the barrel and if there was any pitting in there, send it in and he'd send a new Wolf as a replacement. Can't beat that when the CEO himself becomes involved with their customers and gives you hands on service.

from this,
[Linked Image]

To this,
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Even Mike Bellm? Pull the ram-rod outta of your ass, not every product is inferior without the name Remington engraved on it.

Damn, with all the great reviews and recommendation's concerning 'break actions, think I'll order an Apex from B.Hick's today. After viewing/handling T/C, CVA & Traditions at the shot-show this year...they all looked great & well built. I'll let you know how it shoots & how many fingers are left in a few days.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
slg88, the Apex is a fun gun but i REALLY like the Scout. Got my nephew a compact scout in .243 a month or 2 back and love that thing. It weighs less than the trigger pull on my Mosin Nagant LOL.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Holy crap this post has taken a turn....lets get back on task here

has it really or is just that one question submitted from a person who may not know better , has been replace by the same standard by someone who IMO twists things for their own betterment .

So why is there a proof stamp . Because they BATCH PROOF thus the proof house has certified the barrels thus clearing the batch to carry thier mark . Now you could argue around the subject of if these marking are provincial markings or actual definitive proofs .

magnafluxing only serves as a Provincial type of proof . IE by magnafluxing they find out if there is any visible reason why the barrel would not pass a Definitive proof ,its not an actual Definitive proof .
Lot by lot testing is just another name for batch testing and does NOT mean every barrel within that lot has been proofed . It only means that �IF� every barrel within that lot , is manufactured to the same standards as the barrel that was tested , then all is relative.

Thus if the US had the same Government enforced laws as many European countries do ,then every one of those barrels within that lot would have to carry a proof mark as the laws accept batch testing as an actual proof .Again under the very same assumption that every barrel made will be identical to the one tested . But the reality of it is we know they are not . Thus there are allowable variables in tolerances that are accepted.

We also must understand that just because a barrel was proofed , it doesn�t mean it stays in proof . Pitting of the barrel is just one thing that removes the proof . If a company like GM were to produce a barrel under English proofing laws , then sold that barrel to a company who cut dove tails , welded , soldered or threaded the barrel for a receiver or lets say they plated the barrel with nickel or chromed it . The barrel is then out of proof and the markings mean nothing .

Now how are you going to proof a barrel that hasn�t been chambered yet .
The answer is you DON�T . A Provincial proof is done. If the barrel blank passes that proof , then you finish the barrel and send it back for a Definitive proof which hopefully it will pass
But concerning muzzle loading , the minute that barrel is bored to a given bore and threaded for a plug , the very same thing has been done as in the chambering process .
IE the finished barrel has been defined . Thus a Definitive proof can then be done .

Lets not also forget that companies here in the US do not have to submit for proof. in fact there is nothing that ensures a company even follows the SAAMI Recommendations when they say they do .All that is just voluntary and we as customers have to accept that they do what they say they do ..

I know for a Fact that one of the best and most reputable muzzleloading barrel makers in the US does very little proofing . The owner has told me so . In fact he has stated this in public and openly that they stopped long ago doing anything more then an accessional batch test.

Most recently in a discussion concerning 12L14 being to soft for safe barrels .
He had this to say .

We have taken12" long pieces of barrel, threaded
and breeched both ends, drilling a hole in it for a fuse, and blew it up. From what has been said on this subject, one
would think this would act like grenade, blowing shrapnel all over the place. Not so, it merely opened up like a banana
peel. We also did the same thing to a piece of barrel that was made in a foreign country, I won't say which one. Now,
this one did act like a grenade, we found only about 1/3 of the barrel, the rest was blow to god knows where. We also
did a lot of proofing real thin barrels with huge loads, could not get them to blow. Also shot barrels with short started
balls, could not get them to bulge or blow. The only way we could get a bulge in the barrel was to load the barrel with
powder and a patched ball pushed all the way down onto the powder, then short starting a ball on top of all this......
bulged the barrel but did not blow it off. As a result of all of this playing around, I kind of thought to myself that it's
sort of foolish to proof a barrel, at least one of ours which I know how it is breeched. There have been a lot of comments
by people who have never made a barrel, nor did any experimental blow-ups. Unless you know what you're talking about
you are doing a great disservice to the muzzleloading game...............Don

So what is more surprising? Is it that some company uses batch testing or magnafluxs and calls it a proof or is it a company who allows barrels with installed breech plugs that have the nipples held in by a heli coil to be sold to the public . Maybe its another US company that for a time sold a lot of barrels with the breech plugs that were just under 1/8 off face

The whole thing is nothing more then listening to obama give a speech . Just one spin after another
Holy [bleep] who the hell wants to read "War and Peace"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GM produced barrels with incorrect nipple threads in the bolster and installed an american size nipple. They fixed it with helicoil when customers complained and then flat out replaced barrels because customers didnt like their half assed hemicoil repair.

Shows you how much attention GM pays to their barrels.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You guys are on pace to take over for the Optics threads and make the Muzzlleloading threads the most long winded boring and the place with the most bitchers too

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Even your dog looks bored.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While danger can be fun, I don't like dangerous firearms. I'd rather stick with a dependable and well made American firearm.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh you mean like Remington?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes.

--Randy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So why is there a proof stamp . Because they BATCH PROOF thus the proof house has certified the barrels thus clearing the batch to carry thier mark .

Have you informed Dikar of your findings and also informed them that they have perjured themselves in Federal Court?

see you want this to be fact so badly that you dont get it .
do they proof test their barrels . yes
do they proof test every barrel. NO

so why the proof mark ?
see your so caught up in this idea of what you think a proof is , that you have lost the ability to remember that a barrel having a "proof" mark means ZIP! unless its a definitive proof . It doesn�t even ever have to have actually been fired to carry the provincial mark.
Not to also mention that just because a barrel carries a definitive proof mark , does not in any way mean its still in proof even if the barrel is brand spanking new .
So the real question , if it maters a lot , is what is the proof mark and what are the Spanish laws that allow that mark to be maintained through batch testing

But even that doesn�t mater as the mark is subject to laws of another country , NOT ours . Until we come up with an actual enforceable Law that requires everyone to meet a give independently tested standard you don�t have a leg to stand on.
Especially considering the numbers of Spanish barrels in circulation in this country .

Frankly speaking of that , I cant for the life of me figure out why the importers , distributors , possibly the Spanish manufactures don�t sue the daylights out of you .
Thus making you prove your standards in court .
Personally I think that�s what should happen . Not only would this subject be put to bed but then a precedence could possibly be set requiring American barrel manufactures to prove their statements as well

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Holy [bleep] who the hell wants to read "War and Peace"

dont know what to tell you about that . Maybe if you read some books you would understand.
Come to think about it
maybe i should make links to what others have to say . better yet take their experience , claim it as my own and use it to write books.
Then I could threaded to sue for copy write ,anyone who directly �quoted� those writings .
Now there is a novel idea . Ohm wait that�s already been done .

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still boring try this to help...
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Well I guess ol swamp donkey told you... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any luck, from anyone yet, with the 800 yard muzzle-breaked slingshot?

--Randy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Yes.

More details.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes.

More details.

Give him a little time Old_Hunter, Randy is Googling Bergarra barrels looking for problems. smile

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Holy crap this post has taken a turn....lets get back on task here...
We need a MZ'er that can shoot 400yds with opened sights,looks nice has a great scope for an additional $100ish, loads by itself cause OP can't reload it,pretty camo stock and barrel, oh and let us not forget a screw on muzzle break

He doesn't care about proof testing as long as it meets the above criteria
Must be hundreds that meet his requirements

You my friend are a moron. Shut it for hell sakes. I could care less if this thread has 100+ posts, half of what was said was you belie aching and whining. Maybe had you just put your foot in your mouth the first while of this thread there wouldn't be a 100+ post count, ever think of that?.....Now shut up honey so the men can talk!

I myself have found this thread very entertaining and full of great information. (Thanks to everyone that responded with ideas and information!)

I was talking to an establishment owner today and he had his 50 cal, can't remember the exact name but it started with "White" and had 2 other words behind it. Anyway it looked like the first style inline, the cap was inline however it was open. It has a double type safety where you pull the left side down then flip the main safety on the right and just pull the trigger. It looked like a bolt action that was open all the time and there you saw the cap/primer?

It was a stainless gun and he thought it was a 1.5 twist. Anyway he stated he needed to shoot the bullet out of it because the hunt was over and he didn't see anything big so he didn't shoot. I asked him if I could take the shot, well that's what happened. I know the gun is dead on because I have spotted for him before. Well he has a dot 1X scope and I dialed the red dot in and lined it down on my target. Now I haven't shot in at least 2 years and of course he had to bring a few more guys with us so they could tease me......LOL.....Well I lined it up and pow. First shot with an inline and we were at around 130 yards and a damn bulls eye!

Well the kick was different then I remember and it really didn't hurt the bad arm which I thought is would. Now I'm more convinced then ever, I'm getting one. So with that said, the search is really starting. I need to start really digging into the information you great members have listed. Right now I like the look and functionality of the CVA, however T/C has the name. The thing is I really don't care just as long as it has a good shot, it's accurate, stainless, and functional.

But I am getting confused in all this wind pissin match. I think I need to go back and re-read this stuff over and over. Anyone know what is Jim Shockley using in ML's? Anyway please continue, I'm learning every hour in this thread!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

More details.

http://cvaguncases.com/

You've got a bit of reading to do.

--Randy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice xray!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a big T/C fan. I have three. A flintlock and percussion Renegade and a scoped Omega. I mostly use the Omega to hunt. They are all great rifles. I have had three bad experiences with CVA rifle. I will not buy another one.

800 yards with a .30/30? C'mon now.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
same old stuff. Randy knows his scare tactics have run out and even the new guys that come to muzzleloading just laugh at him, especially when they read his kiss butt interviews with savage.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn, I just wasted 10 minutes reading RW's link. Article never mentioned Bergara Barrels.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You guys need to spend more time on that link. Read the cases and look at the pictures of the victims.

I won't be recommending a CVA anymore.

I saw at least one case with a Wolf, and a lot of Pro Hunters. Did the PH have a Bergara?

Those poor guys had their faces blown off.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by daddywpb
I'm a big T/C fan. I have three. A flintlock and percussion Renegade and a scoped Omega. I mostly use the Omega to hunt. They are all great rifles. I have had three bad experiences with CVA rifle. I will not buy another one.

Documented in the X Files..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You guys need to spend more time on that link. Read the cases and look at the pictures of the victims.

I won't be recommending a CVA anymore.

I saw at least one case with a Wolf, and a lot of Pro Hunters. Did the PH have a Bergara?

Those poor guys had their faces blown off.

Looking at what they call a CVA Pro Hunter is not the Encore Pro Hunter. None of the parts looked familiar to me as I am very familiar to the internal parts of a Pro Hunter. They then posted a picture of the gun, an OLD PLUNGER CVA!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Are we still on the damn shot? Well that will defiantly be the 1 and the last time I ever mention it again. Good hell I didn't think it was that big of a deal, it was just a good shot.

Anyway, what 3 bad experiences have you had?

Also after reading that and seeing that x-ray, I don't know if I want to buy a CVA now, and they had the look of what I liked!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you. Spanish made muzzleloaders are scarry. Get a T/C Impact at Walmart. They are inexpensive and good.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know if I want to buy a CVA now, and they had the look of what I liked!
Take another look Rustin... Balances beautiful,the break action opens/closes smoothly & quietly, 8-40 base holes vs 6-48 on T/C, and the trigger breaks clean unlike the other brands. This Apex is built solid! Hell, even threw a 4x VX-R illuminated Leupold on top.

Next step: shooting range.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 10/06/11.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
another take on it

By Dudley McGarity CEO of BPI

no company is immune, savage has had issues . Remington has also had issues
Most recently with the Taurus. I know of a local shooter who also had his go while using factory ammo
Beretta also has had issues and recalls
About the only company that hasn�t is probably TC . But IMO that�s only a mater of time since S&W has taken over

Old_Hunter, this is the first time you have saw that Xray ?

do you remember the one showing the breech from a Douglas barrel in a persons skull.
that one went around the muzzle loading communities before the internet and as I recall was part of the extruded vs. drawn barrel issue .
Then there was the barrel with a blow plug from a certain US barrel maker that started the whole aftermarket barrels not coming breeched from alot of companies

Last edited by captchee; 10/06/11.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wasn't talking about the x-ray. There are a bunch of pictures of the guys that had to guns blown up in their faces.

It's not much of a concern for me. I'll never shoot another inline. If I was. It wouldn't be a CVA. My face is beat up enough. smile

I'm happy with my Lyman GPR, and will be shooting that from now on.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
old hunter, just scare tactics of the old recalled plunger guns.

Only a fool would believe in anything wakeman and his ambulance chasing lawyer friend would write up. My take is that wakeman has his hand in the lawyers pocket and IF they ever win a case, he'll get a cut. He advertises for the lawyer.

GPR is a lot of fun! I want another one too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No the current models are subject to exactly the same issues. How much do the spainards pay you to cover their tracks?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how much does remington pay you to push their products swampy?

accidents happen all the time, i mean look at how you came into life wink

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't know if I want to buy a CVA now, and they had the look of what I liked!
Take another look Rustin... Balances beautiful,the break action opens/closes smoothly & quietly, 8-40 base holes vs 6-48 on T/C, and the trigger breaks clean unlike the other brands. This Apex is built solid! Hell, even threw a 4x VX-R illuminated Leupold on top.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice setup I must say. I really like the look of the and functionality of them verses the T/C. I really like the break meaning there is some really nice solid metal behind the breach. I am very partial to the thumbhole stocks however. Now I know the ACCURA V2 PR3116SM/.50 at $550. Then I put on a scope and I can only see the $$$ signs rise.....LOL

I do like the options of having exchangable barrels however of the Apex CR4012S/.50.

Now on the T/C Encore in the Magnum section they show gun # 3967 which is a great looking Stainless Steal/Harwoods/Thumbhole in 50 Cal and can take 150 grains.
http://eastcoastgunsales.com/admin/_ImageUploads/Product%20Images/30302.jpg I just saw it for $590 shipped.

But I'm sittin back looking at great looking guns and they keep going up in price.....LOL......Which is ok, I'm just frugal. At the same time I have gone the cheap routes before and once or twice I made out, but the rest of the time I lost.

Which brings up a new question, can I buy ML's on line or has the Fed's put a stop to it, and where is a good place?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
4473 form for the Apex or Encore. Optima/Omega not needed. Best price I've found on ML's is Natchez shooting supply. There web-site is difficult to get around, but they carry/stock all brands. Just call them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
try www.rrarms.com for Optima/ Accura v2 or www.budsgunshop.com for the Apex.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rustin,

I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. Two inlines, I don't remember the model names, and a youth sidelock. They were for my two kids and myself. During the first shooting session there were ignition problems with all three rifles. I could get them to shoot, but they were by no means what I would call reliable to hunt with. After a frustrating afternoon with anxious, fidgity kids who wanted to shoot, all three rifles were returned to Bass Pro Shop. My Omega has NEVER failed to fire, even after a long rainy days in the woods. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that you get what you pay for.

Before you CVA fans, and I know there are many, start in telling me what I did wrong, I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 40+ years. I know how they work. In my opinion, based on my personal experience with them, CVA is an inferior product. I've read all the debates about barrels blowing out and improperly heat treated steels. Where there's a lot of smoke, there's probably a fire somewhere close by. Why take a chance with your eyesight, or possibly your life?

Invest in a good quality, AMERICAN MADE rifle, and you won't be disappointed. Keep an eye on Gunbroker or the other auction sites. There are some excellent buys on used T/C and Knight rifles out there, and they can be sent by mail directly to your door. Good luck!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
-I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. I don't remember the model names.
-Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.
confused

That's why I paid little more and went Apex.

Last edited by slg888; 10/07/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's just as dangerous.....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rustin,

I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. Two inlines, I don't remember the model names, and a youth sidelock. They were for my two kids and myself. During the first shooting session there were ignition problems with all three rifles. I could get them to shoot, but they were by no means what I would call reliable to hunt with. After a frustrating afternoon with anxious, fidgity kids who wanted to shoot, all three rifles were returned to Bass Pro Shop. My Omega has NEVER failed to fire, even after a long rainy days in the woods. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that you get what you pay for.

Before you CVA fans, and I know there are many, start in telling me what I did wrong, I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 40+ years. I know how they work. In my opinion, based on my personal experience with them, CVA is an inferior product. I've read all the debates about barrels blowing out and improperly heat treated steels. Where there's a lot of smoke, there's probably a fire somewhere close by. Why take a chance with your eyesight, or possibly your life?

Invest in a good quality, AMERICAN MADE rifle, and you won't be disappointed. Keep an eye on Gunbroker or the other auction sites. There are some excellent buys on used T/C and Knight rifles out there, and they can be sent by mail directly to your door. Good luck!

Sure would like to hear more details on what models they were, and primers, powder, bullets you used.

I'm not sure about CVA barrel strength anymore, but i've never heard of ignition problems except with BH 209, and that's easily fixed. The Omega is a good gun, but i'm curious why the CVA's didn't fire.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the point of buying a used muzzleloader is a valid one. You can get great deals on pre owned muzzleloaders and they can come right to your house.

ddj

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well I always like to buy American first and foremost even if I have to pay more, steel is better IMHO and anything I can do to put another American to work then that's what I try to do. I do like the look and functionality of the T/C for my taste, but I like the removable breach and gun design of CVA. Why can't a manufacture just make what I want and place it in my lap?......:D

I'm going to go looking in the pawn shops now the ML hunts are basically over and see if they actually have one that used I can at least pick up and see how it feels, not to mention look at the craftsmanship. I used to do quite a bit of metal working when I was a kid so maybe that might help my observations. I called Cabela's down here just for a chance and they have just a few just like everyone else, they are going to wait for any new models before they buy for retail. I don't blame them, you don't want to load up on last years models then dump them because everyone what�s the new model.

Regardless, here in Utah we have to put in for the hunt in January (which my location is a guarantee) and I will do that. Even if I don't find what I'm looking for I'll use one of my dads traditional cap ignition and ball. Here I put all that money and time into my 7mm and now it's just going to stay in the safe. That�s ok though.

Problem is I have 1 boy who is ready to hunt this coming year as well and I will have to get him one too. I only want a decent cheap model that will work and will probably buy it used. He is only 100 lbs and about 5' 2" so what would you guys suggest for him. Remember he's most likely going to trash it.....LOL

So now we are up to 2 guns, ug.......LOL......Maybe the topic of a different thread on that one when we get closer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
im picky about my guns as well. I love to keep the cherry and when i start seeing scratches or dust build up, it drives me crazy.

The Optima line from CVA though is by far my most favorite. Their Scout rifle looks a lot like the Optima so i got one in .243 compact. That little .243 is one awesome gun.

Scout
[Linked Image]

Optima
[Linked Image]

This one now strictly is my Colorado gun and set up with open sights due to our rules.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
LOL

Ya I'm picky, but I like to look at all the options. Where I am not from the ML community these guns are unknown territory. So far my expectations have changed, price range has changed, and my eyes have sure been opened to a whole new refined sport. I'm really stoked to get out next year and hunker down with a set of horns and attractants.

The thing is, if I'm going to make a purchase I want to look at all the options, and the opinions of those that use and really know them. I'm the guy that sits in a rifle shop for 3 days before I make a purchase just to make SURE I get the right one. I think it's an OCD episode!.....LOL....Always been that way, and it's gotten worse over the years as I gotten screwed. So call it wisdom, or call it insanity, I call it OCD......LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy him a T/C Impact. It's safe.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy him a CVA, T/C or Traditions It's safe.
+1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy a Hawken. You can shoot cannon balls out of it and it won't blow. laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The new T/C Bone Collector rifles have the Speedbreech feature. The breechplug can easily be removed without tools.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Buy a Hawken. You can shoot cannon balls out of it and it won't blow. laugh

Or a Renegade.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
renegades are cheek slappers

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
renegades are cheek slappers

TC's are cheek slappers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
true, even my old tc new englander was a cheek slapper. No where near as bad as the tc hawken i had. holy mother that thing was horrible for smacking you right under the eye socket. I think i fired a total of 2 or 3 shots before i cleaned it and resold it LOL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's because you guys load them too heavy. Typical novice mistake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't buy him a CVA or Traditions. They're not safe.

Good advise....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy a CVA or Traditions. They're safe.
Good advise....
+1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
true, even my old tc new englander was a cheek slapper. No where near as bad as the tc hawken i had. holy mother that thing was horrible for smacking you right under the eye socket. I think i fired a total of 2 or 3 shots before i cleaned it and resold it LOL.

Gotta admit, with a stout load my .54 has slapped my face once or twice. Not unbearable or even more painful then the recoil felt at my shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CVA or Traditions either one, they are junk.

Listen novice, your going to get someone hurt. Spanish made muzzleloaders are junk and I would never adise anyone to buy a pipebomb.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawken
Gotta admit, with a stout load my .54 has slapped my face once or twice.

60 grains of 3f is plenty. Don't over load them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hawken
Gotta admit, with a stout load my .54 has slapped my face once or twice.

60 grains of 3f is plenty. Don't over load them.

I now prefer 80. When I first bought it, I subscribed to the theory that more is better, for a few years I was actually loading 120 grains of powder to push a 435 grain maxi-ball....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Listen novice, your going to get someone hurt. Thompson centerfire muzzleloaders are junk and I would never adise anyone to buy a pipebomb.
Wow, I thought they were all decent quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listen novice, your going to get someone hurt. Spanish made muzzleloaders are junk and I would never adise anyone to buy a pipebomb.
Wow, I thought they were all decent quality.

When have you ever thought?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gotta admit, Micheal Waldell with a stout load has slapped my face once or twice.
Now it makes sense.

Last edited by slg888; 10/09/11.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I didn't load it too heavy, but your novice assumptions are comical.

Do you ever make a positive post?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So in here I have seen Thompson Center and CVA is Spanish or out of country, so how do I know what is made in America, cause that's what I would like to buy?????

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
lol loaded them to heavy? 90gr pyrodex rs an a 295gr powerbelt is not heavy. Just poor stock design.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So in here I have seen Thompson Center and CVA is Spanish or out of country, so how do I know what is made in America, cause that's what I would like to buy?????

TC and Knight are made in the US.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not about novices who give out dangerous and faulty info.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Well, recommending 60gr of powder for elk doesn't show much experience on your part.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yeah 60gr is just a plinking load on the range. Or small game.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, recommending 60gr of powder for elk doesn't show much experience on your part.
Swampgirl700 is not experienced in nothing except 'bitching about products he can't afford & don't use.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Swampdonkey do you realize how ignorant you sound?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
60 grains of 3f and a patched .520 roundball harvested plenty of elk. You just have to be able to shoot. I guess you girls should take lessons.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess you should try elk hunting. At least once. Being such an authority and all.

LMAO.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This think still going on. I left FRiday and went out and shot a deer with the TC inlin ,came back, and seems I didn't miss a beat

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.520 round ball? The guy doesnt even know the proper ball size to use.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He knows golf carts inside and out though...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
60 grains of 3f and a patched .520 roundball harvested plenty of elk. You just have to be able to shoot. I guess you girls should take lessons.

Plenty? Could you show us one? Along with where you buy those .520 balls?

Last edited by Old_Hunter; 10/09/11.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From what I can tell, he's had two of 'em since the day he was born.......same size as his brain BTW........

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well I talked to my friend again just to find out what "White" Muzzle Loader I had shot with great accuracy. Well it was a White Shooting System G-Series in .504 and that was all it stated. I went to the manufacture web site, but looks like they are no longer manufacturing? http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/myweb2/images/whiterifles/prod02.htm
His loads were 90 grains Pyrodex? and Hornady 240 grain XTP bullet, and primers.

Anyway, just wanted to update.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
heres a .504 for sale but its not cheap. You wont ever find a cheap one.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,242742.0.html

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Why is that?
Is it because the firm is no longer in business or because it is a sought after gun?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
no longer in business + the quality of them by far exceeds anything made today, including the savage.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Now you have the answer to "Swampy" recommending 60 grs. powder for Elk...That is all the recoil he can stand. shocked

Doc

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.