Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Do real Albertans (not the politicians or big oilmen) think this is a good or bad deal for Alberta?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It's a good deal for a lot of people, not just Albertans.

I work for TCPL who in putting in the Keystone XL pipeline.

There are a lot of misconceptions and fear mongering going on with people who dont know the facts.

The way I see it is that Americans need oil and there isnt any relief of that in the near future.

Do they want to buy it from the A-Rabs or from Venezuela?

Piplelines are definately a prefered method for transporting crude, gas, etc.

Even some dude at GreenPeace said pipelines were better than oil tankers on the ocean.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would like us to build a few more large refineries here in Canada, but other than that, get that hose built, and turn the tap on!

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've done the research, I know the facts, I've written reports that have shut pipelines down. I'm not a fan. Saying a pipeline is safer than a tanker is like saying it's better to be shot with a 270 than an '06. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods. Then again we have mountains, landslides, places so remote that you can't access by any other way than by helicopter and way too many vital fish bearing streams to cross.

Count me in the 'not a fan' group

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rman
I would like us to build a few more large refineries here in Canada, but other than that, get that hose built, and turn the tap on!

R.

Does Canada import much gasoline, deisel and other refining products?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Turok
I've done the research, I know the facts, I've written reports that have shut pipelines down. I'm not a fan. Saying a pipeline is safer than a tanker is like saying it's better to be shot with a 270 than an '06. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods. Then again we have mountains, landslides, places so remote that you can't access by any other way than by helicopter and way too many vital fish bearing streams to cross.

Count me in the 'not a fan' group

How does this pipeline differ from the one in Alaska? That one is pretty remote, crosses vital fish streams and has plenty of tectonic events to endure. wink

Last edited by AcesNeights; 09/25/11. Reason: added a p...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tony
Originally Posted by Rman

R.

Does Canada import much gasoline, deisel and other refining products?

In a word, yes. We export raw materials, and import finished goods. We, as a country, should take on a greater manufacturing role, when it comes to large scale useage, such as fuels. We seem to be quite relunctant to build large scale refineries here.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Where are the imported products coming from? In hindsight it is probably good that refineries have not been built. A tough business for the Americas to compete in anymore. And it will get tougher unless there is a nitch market or they are mega-complexes. I know we were trying to sell or close our Sarnia refinery for that reason. I spent 5 years in Calgary helping to manage the AOSP Upgrader Expansion in Ft.Sask. No question the pipeline will be good for Canada's ecomony.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Far rather than near sightedness should be used here. Exortation of raw materials puts us at the mercy of middle men. We have lost much of our manufacturing business and many Canadians are out of work, I believe we should use our own raw materials to manufacture goods for domestic consumption so we get off the one world merry go round that ties us to other countries economies.

When the US economy went in the dumps, our goods were not competitive and so our manufacturing hit the skids. Where I live fully half the autos seen are foreign ie. not domestically produced. These vehicles are mported with minimal if any import taxes and so our own auto companies lay off and shut down plants. People are way too happy to save a little money, put neibours out of work, pay heavier taxes and support an economy in a foreign land.

My Sunday morning rant about buying locally made products.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by medicman
My Sunday morning rant about buying locally made products.

Like a couple of CZ rifles? wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also own CIL If Canadian made were available they would be first choice. Both my vehicles were manufacyured in Canada by CAW workers. So will the next one be.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I must say that the cost of project execution up there was darn high when compared to ANY of our metrics elsewhere in the world including the US. This a combination of marginal productivity as well as high labor rates. Tough place to execute is what we found which is why we backed off further expansions. Oil needs to be firmly high in price for us to restart I believe.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Canada certainly has the expertise to build and run refineries in Canada. In fact, Canadian engineers and technical workers build them in other countries. It is foolish to export oil and buy it back as a refined product; just as it is foolish to export logs and import lumber. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Canada certainly has the expertise to build and run refineries in Canada. In fact, Canadian engineers and technical workers build them in other countries. It is foolish to export oil and buy it back as a refined product; just as it is foolish to export logs and import lumber. GD

You're right!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wish our government could put that together. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by greydog

I know we have the expertise to build and run refineries but nobody is stepping up to the plate to come up with 50-70 billion dollars to pay for a plant.

As a TCPL employee I know our business is providing the intrastructure not the actual refining.

I think we brand ourselves as an "infrastructure services" company and not an "oil company".

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If they took three of my Hydro bills from Ontario, they could build the darn refinery debt free. laugh

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thing will cross our state and the Ogallala Aquifer which is the life blood of Nebraska agriculture.No corporation can guarantee the safety of a pipeline but continue to spin all sorts of "How Goods" this will be for jobs and local economies.My big question is what happens to the oil once it arrives on US soil?? and who's to say it'll be a bargain and not sold on the open market as international prices dictate? There's plenty of oil but refineries and their limited production are a major contribution to so called shortages which are total BS! Speculators,controlled production and OPEC are the three sisters in the ongoing fleecing of Global economies,I can't be convinced otherwise....

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
This thing will cross our state and the Ogallala Aquifer which is the life blood of Nebraska agriculture.No corporation can guarantee the safety of a pipeline but continue to spin all sorts of "How Goods" this will be for jobs and local economies.My big question is what happens to the oil once it arrives on US soil?? and who's to say it'll be a bargain and not sold on the open market as international prices dictate? There's plenty of oil but refineries and their limited production are a major contribution to so called shortages which are total BS! Speculators,controlled production and OPEC are the three sisters in the ongoing fleecing of Global economies,I can't be convinced otherwise....

One of the other things that I find kind of interesting is that IF Canada was to build an oil refinery to process the oilsands coming out of Fort Mac, what happens with the finished product?

Doesnt it need to go somewhere..somehow?...say..maybe like by "pipeline".

As far as the Ogallala Aquifer, how many other pipesline are currently strung across it? I remember seeing a picture of the state of Nebraska showing all the currently pipelines and it looked like a damn spiderweb.

It would be interesting to know how many farmers currently dispose of thier old tractor oil but dumping it in the weeds somewhere.

I'm willing to be it's a lot more than we'd think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.