Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kyle1974
hmm... just dug up an article about Dan Cooper being an obama supporter, and was asked to resign as CEO of the company. It didn't say anything about the company buying him out, only that he resigned as CEO... so I have to wonder, if you buy a cooper, are you still putting your money towards an obama supporter?

Yah-that attitude makes alot of sense. Don't buy a rifle made in America. Buy a foreign rifle because a person gave a donation to a President you don't like?? Where is that logic coming from??

I own and have owned rifles from both companies. And both rifle are fantastic rifles. I lean toward the Cooper for a few reasons. But those reasons are minor in the scheme of things. I would think the biggest reason would be that the Coopers are American made, and that is pretty important to me. Maybe not to others.

You can't go wrong with either. I do believe you will be able to find a rifle with a little better wood if you search for a Cooper. The Sako's are pretty tough to find. Tom.

West By God Virginia
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by harv3589
I am getting tired of the blah of a stainless/sythetic and I have been looking around at my options in regards to a wood blued rifle. Building a custom would be the best thing but out of my reach in reality for what I would want. So I have been looking at the Coopers and Sako 85 Deluxe rifles.

I have a Sako 85 and am familiar with it but I have no experience with Cooper. What are they like compared to the Sako?

The Cooper WILL shoot. Maybe, maybe not, on the Sako.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It was my understanding that the Coopers have a Sako style extractor but a fixed ejector like a Model 70 or Mauser, not a plunger ejector like a Model 700.

From their web site: "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar"

The ejection force would be entirely controlled by how forcibly the bolt is pulled rearward to strike the case head against that ejector.

This is the answer.

My M52 Excaliber sends brass flying if I pull the bolt back as one would do in a hunting situation. Pull back slowly and the brass ejects less forcibly.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or, when you put four rounds into a tight little group and then throw that fifth round about an inch and a half out, and you pull the bolt back while simultaneously saying, "*&%$#%^ #@$*%&$#$%&*@# son of a $&^*#!!!"

That generally sends the fired case about 30 feet away. shocked wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I will have to take a look at a model 52. Maybe they changed the ejector on the 52's, I have handled 52's but never removed the bolt to see what type of ejector they use.

On the Cooper website it says the model 21 & 22 single shots have a "Plunger style ejector machined from solid bar". But when you select model 22 Varminter repeater it says that it has a "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar".

Duckster - Chime in and let us know what model Cooper you have and if the ejector looks like the one below.

Foxbat - does your model 52 have an ejector like this or is it a blade set-up like model 70's and 98 Mausers?

Here is the bolt face on my model 54 and it is the same set-up on my model 21's and 22. Could this be what they are referring to as a "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar"?

My model 54 repeater is only a couple of months old and this picture is the bolt from my 54, and they refer to this on the website as "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar", my model 21's (single shot) and model 22 (repeater) use this same exact ejector system.

I will have some more information tomorrow and will post an update but I suspect that it is just different terminology for the same system and when they added the repeaters to the website they used a different description for the ejector system.

drover

[Linked Image]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Originally Posted by kyle1974
hmm... just dug up an article about Dan Cooper being an obama supporter, and was asked to resign as CEO of the company. It didn't say anything about the company buying him out, only that he resigned as CEO... so I have to wonder, if you buy a cooper, are you still putting your money towards an obama supporter?

Yah-that attitude makes alot of sense. Don't buy a rifle made in America. Buy a foreign rifle because a person gave a donation to a President you don't like?? Where is that logic coming from??

I own and have owned rifles from both companies. And both rifle are fantastic rifles. I lean toward the Cooper for a few reasons. But those reasons are minor in the scheme of things. I would think the biggest reason would be that the Coopers are American made, and that is pretty important to me. Maybe not to others.

You can't go wrong with either. I do believe you will be able to find a rifle with a little better wood if you search for a Cooper. The Sako's are pretty tough to find. Tom.

where that logic comes from is my decision not to support someone who helped put a person in office that I have a 180 degree polar opposite opinion on how the country should be lead.

I understand what you're saying about american made, however there are plenty of americans/american companies that I could care less about supporting, like proggressive insurance who donates millions of dollars every year to liberal political affiliations... do they have cheaper rates? probably so. Am I going to help support the liberal machine... not hardly.

If the dan cooper still has financial ties to cooper firearms, I can assure you I won't purchase one of the rifles. The only thing I could find indicated cooper was asked to step down as the president of the company. Being that he was one of the owners... there was nothing I saw that his ownership was bought out. You can't just "fire" a shareholder of a company... they have to be bought out. Perhaps he was, and I missed it though.

That said, I have a sako rifle, and it shoots great. There are a couple dealers in Houston that sell sako... I haven't come across one that sells cooper, other than collector firearms, and they are just a plain rip off. Maybe what I need to do is find a nice local custom builder (who doesn't support Obama)... kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited by kyle1974; 10/05/11.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cooper was bought out by Wilson Barrels and renamed Cooper Firearms of Montana. Wilson is the same outfit that makes the barrels used on Coopers. (Cooper will also use most any barrel the customer specifies for $415 more, i.e. a Kreiger.)

I'm loading my Cooper Model 22 6.5-284 now for another test session, and with the exception of the trigger (I prefer a 8 ounce release) its the best rifle I bought. The trigger isn't bad, mind you, it adjusts down to about 1.5 pounds, I'm just finicky. The only way I can do better than a Cooper is to build my own for a lot more money and work.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/06/11.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by drover
I will have to take a look at a model 52. Maybe they changed the ejector on the 52's, I have handled 52's but never removed the bolt to see what type of ejector they use.

On the Cooper website it says the model 21 & 22 single shots have a "Plunger style ejector machined from solid bar". But when you select model 22 Varminter repeater it says that it has a "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar".

Foxbat - does your model 52 have an ejector like this or is it a blade set-up like model 70's and 98 Mausers?

Here is the bolt face on my model 54 and it is the same set-up on my model 21's and 22. Could this be what they are referring to as a "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar"?

My model 54 repeater is only a couple of months old and this picture is the bolt from my 54, and they refer to this on the website as "Retractable tab ejector machined from solid bar", my model 21's (single shot) and model 22 (repeater) use this same exact ejector system.

I will have some more information tomorrow and will post an update but I suspect that it is just different terminology for the same system and when they added the repeaters to the website they used a different description for the ejector system.

drover

Fixed blade like on a Sako 85, though at the 5 o'clock position rather than 6.

I'm surprised they switched to a Remington style plunger on the M54.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Cooper was bought out by Wilson Barrels and renamed Cooper Firearms of Montana. Wilson is the same outfit that makes the barrels used on Coopers. (Cooper will also use most any barrel the customer specifies for $415 more, i.e. a Kreiger.)

I'm loading my Cooper Model 22 6.5-284 now for another test session, and with the exception of the trigger (I prefer a 8 ounce release) its the best rifle I bought. The trigger isn't bad, mind you, it adjusts down to about 1.5 pounds, I'm just finicky. The only way I can do better than a Cooper is to build my own for a lot more money and work.

thanks! now my problem is finding a place that stocks coopers... at least a few models so I can get a feel for them. I don't mind ordering a different caliber, but to order a complete rifle sight unseen for 2,000+ is a little unnerving.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Dan Cooper no longer has anything to do with Cooper Firearms of Montana, I know Dan Cooper and I know the new owner of Cooper Hugo V., I also know the folks in managementand many of the employees there. I been assured by the new owner and folks in the loop that Dan Cooper has nothing to do with Cooper Firearms and has no business interest whatever in the company. It was a complete buyout by the new owner.

What you are reading is mostly old rumor stuff most of which has been posted by folks who were upset that Dan Cooper donated to Obama. I was upset by that myself, however this is still America and a person can support whichever party or candidate they wish, just as they can support their position by not purchasing a Cooper firearm.

As far as dealers - Cabela's is a dealer, they usually have some in stock. Also go to the Cooper website and at the bottom click on FIND A DEALER - I am sure that there is more than one in the Houston area. This should give you a chance to look at a few.

drover

p.s. - sorry if I come across as a little grumpy on this subject but it has been beat to death, but it is brought up from time to time as if it were something new that just happened. There a lot of misinformation out there on this subject, usually raised by folks who are more interested in creating a political statement than anything else, and even when they are presented the facts they still deny them. What I am telling you is factual - not internet rumor.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Okay - Now on to the saga of the ejectors.

I just got off the phone with a friend at Cooper Firearms and here is the story on the ejectors.

The 52's used a blade ejector just like Foxbat's until just a few months ago. They have now gone to the plunger ejector on all models, 52's and 56's included. Due to the lug design and ejection angle some folks were complaining about the emptys hitting the bottom of the scope on ejection. Going to the plunger ejector served two purposes, one - it gave more latitude in placement of the ejector, and two - it simplified manufacturing and inventory concerns by not having to deal with two different types of bolts.

Bottom line - If you have a 52 made between 2007 (introduction year) and recently it will have a blade type ejector, if it is newer than that it will have the plunger ejector.

Mystery solved!

drover

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn�t Wilson the company that used to supply all of Ruger�s barrels when Ruger rifles had such a reputation for spotty accuracy? Apparently they do know how to make quality barrels.

I handled a fellow�s Cooper Classic at the range a while ago, the stock style and feel were very close to my old Kimber of Oregon Model 84, which is no surprise if you know who Dan Cooper used to work for.

Instead of continuing to rebarrel, bed and otherwise improve factory rifles (and glue bolt handles back on shocked ), I keep thinking a Cooper is the way to go for a no problems, guaranteed accurate rifle, but I hear you about plunking down a couple large sight unseen. There is a local dealer who handles Coopers but for various reasons I don�t want to darken his door. Well, maybe I�ll darken it enough to handle and examine a Cooper thoroughly and then order one from another dealer and have it delivered.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep! The same person who owns Wilson barrels is now also the owner of Cooper. They can and do make some excellent barrels, especially the ones on the Coopers, they are a hand lapped barrel and I have yet to have one that did not shoot well.

I have darkened the door of the dealer you are speaking of - he has never got any of my money either, but he does generally have a few nice Coopers on hand.

If you get serious about buying a Cooper I recommend First Stop Guns out of Rapid City, SD., or Russ Haydon of Gig Harbor, Wa. I have dealt with both of them and had great service from them both. The nice thing about First Stop is that they have pictures of their rifles posted on their website and you can see what you are getting before putting down the money.

drover

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I ordered my first Cooper (Jackson Hunter) from a local dealer and waited 7 months.
I ordered my Excaliber from First Stop. They keep an excellent selection on hand (no wait), especially some of the unique option items like the non standard color stocks on the Jackson Hunters and Excalibers. They did screw up my purchase a little and sent me a CM instead of SS barrel rifle, but it got sorted out and would recommend them, especially because of their selection, which means no wait.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like that Excalibur rifle. Kind of a no frills shooter that I don't have to worry about dinging an expensive wood stock with. I like a nice wood stock a lot...but I'm looking for a work rifle that will shoot well, and I don't have to panic if someone drops it, etc.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am curious if Cooper would exchange my extractor? may give them a call. I have one of the older model 52 Jackson Hunters, and have had a little issue with extraction, which Cooper fixed after 2 times being sent back. The rifles are hard 2 beat in the accuracy department, may be a little on the heavy side but some may prefer the extra weight. I would not hesitate 2 recomend one, exspecially since they have addressed the extraction problems.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Both are very good rifles. I have 5 Sako's in various models and a Cooper 52 Excalibur.

I bought the Cooper based on reviews etc and while it's OK I prefer the Sako's.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Both are very good rifles. I have 5 Sako's in various models and a Cooper 52 Excalibur.

I bought the Cooper based on reviews etc and while it's OK I prefer the Sako's.

Just curious why you prefer the Sako's?

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot a buddies sako 85 hunter in 30-06 and it was a fine rifle. The only cooper I've handled was on in a store and the wood was nicer than on my friends 85 hunter. I know you didn't include them but have you thought about a Heym sr21 at all? Ife I was spending ~2k on a wood/blue non custom right now that is what I would buy.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sako 85 is a great rifle--and will be for a long time. Sakos have a pretty good rep for shooting accurately also.

Cooper has the advantage in nice wood.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.