Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello all,

I am wondering what is your favorite pair of Danners? I am thinking of getting a pair for big game "Out West" hunting. Thanks for the help and opinions.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a pair of their RAT cold weather mountain boots. They're made for the Marine Corps and Danner sells overruns of them in their factory outlet store in Portland. Good, uninsulated, boots. I like uninsulated boots because I can determine for myself how warm my feet will be by changing socks, whereas with an insulated boot you're locked in to that level of warmth regardless of sock choice.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have put many miles on in my danner pronghorn boots and will be buying another pair when I wear these out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a fan of the Trophy. After break-in they are like a second skin. I wear them from 60F down to -20F with no comfort issues.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And where is the best place to buy Danners? Cabelas?

I need a pair of medium weight boots of good quality. Not sure if Danners will fit the bill but I had a pair a long time ago that I liked.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I am going to buy one of the American made pairs of Danners, just not sure which pair?

http://www.danner.com/boots/#activity=53&features=79

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Danner vs Meindl - any opinions?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've put a LOT of hard vertical miles on my Danner Elk Hunters, but they are a very heavy boot.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Salmonella, are the Elkhunters today the same as the ones of 10 yrs ago? I had a pair of older ones. Great boots, but Cabelas only lists them as uninsulated and too cheap to be true.

Of the current Danners, the Raptor GTX seems to be what the Old Elkhunter used to be. Looks like a good boot.

I'd like to find Meindl's Island Active but only in Europe and for more than $400 a pair, I might pass. Be nice to find them more local and cheaper (of course).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I've put a LOT of hard vertical miles on my Danner Elk Hunters, but they are a very heavy boot.

Same here. Mine are 6-7 years old and still going strong. I have wide feet, and the design and lacing system really get them snug around the ankles, unlike other boots. I really like them for sidehilling. My wife tried on a pair this year but she didn't like them because one of the bones on her foot was right under one of the grommets and they hurt. (That's why I would never mail order boots.)

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/12/11.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Salmonella, are the Elkhunters today the same as the ones of 10 yrs ago? I had a pair of older ones. Great boots, but Cabelas only lists them as uninsulated and too cheap to be true.

I am sorry to hear this. I thought the Elk Hunters were made in America the same way they always were made. Mine have 600 grams of Thinsulate. I would consider calling Danner. The ones we saw in the store this year were old stock in the bargain cave and appeared to be the same as always.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far my Danner pronghorns have lasted 4 years and still going strong, found a pair of Danner Montana hunters for the colder seasons, will have to see how they do!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older pair that looks a lot like the Raptor, but without insulation. They have worked very well and I'd buy more. My feet have grown enough that they don't fit well now. What size are you looking for? I'll send them free for the shipping if you want them and they'll fit. They are size 8-1/2....

Regards,

Tom
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used several pair of the "Grouse" model for years hunting elk, mulies, bear, etc, but now that I have the Lowa Tibet's, there is no way I would go back to the Danners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
trouthunterdj;
I ran a pair of these Hood Winter Lights for years here in southern BC.

http://www.danner.com/hood-winter-lighttm-200g-hunting-boots.html

In fact I wore out the original soles and had the Danner factory repair folks up here in BC do an excellent resole job on them.

I'm not a super heavy fellow - 160lbs - so perhaps I don't go through boots as fast as a 250lb chap might? Anyway I seem to recall these giving better service than any boot I've tried until then.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me at this point, I bought a pair of Meindl Canada Pro boots - yes the Canadian ones and not the Cabela's ones - about 3 years ago.

To be honest I have a bit of buyer's remorse on the Meindl boots as they were a bear to break in. The Danner's were literally good to go when I left the store in Oroville, WA.

A buddy of mine bought a pair of Santiam boots about the same time as I bought the Meindl's and he's very happy with them. He spent much less than I did too....

Anyway, we hunt the south central section of BC where were in pretty rough terrain most days and although it can be wet, it isn't like the coastal jungle by any means.

Hopefully that was some use to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And where is the best place to buy Danners? Cabelas?

I need a pair of medium weight boots of good quality. Not sure if Danners will fit the bill but I had a pair a long time ago that I liked.

Buy them direct from danner. when i did a few months ago they were offering free shipping and free shipping on returns. so i bought 3 different pairs to help me decide between style, size, etc. and send 2 of them back.

Haven't looked in a while but i think the uninsulated grouse hunters are what i have been wearing for about 10 years when i am not wearing knee high rubber of snake boots. Still have the original pair and while they stink to high heaven they are still perfectly functional

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Danner 'Sierra' has been my three season hunting boot since 1984. Not heavy nor lightweight - inbetween. Gortex and 200 grams Thinsulate. I buy them one-half size bigger than my 10 shoe size.

When they get a lot of mileage on them I send them into Danner to rebuild. Recycle them once then discard.

On the plains, in the mountains, Missouri breaks, Wisconsin hills the boots have served me well.

Some of you may recall, I believe it was last year a fire member, got hold of a Danner/Lacrosse employee discount code number. It was half price on all footwear and I ordered three pair of the Sierras...one each for my son and nephew and of course, for myself. The discount was meant only for employees but Danner honored it.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
I bought a pair of Meindl Canada Pro boots - yes the Canadian ones and not the Cabela's ones - about 3 years ago

What Canadian Meindl's? Meindls appear to be German and have been for over 300 yrs according to their webpage.

I'm thinking the buy from Danner direct is the best idea.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Danner vs Meindl - any opinions?

Meindls or Kenetrecs...You can have the Danners...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am just finishing up my 6th year with my Pronghorns. They aren't pretty, but they fit like a glove and are still water tight.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.