Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am sorry - my American friends - for this being a headline in Canada's biggest newspapers today.

I was no fan of President Bush. I disagreed with him on almost every account.

But - he was your democratically elected President - and your leader.

For this to be the headline in my country's biggest newspaper today is a sad statement of affairs.

Here's the article:OTTAWA � Amnesty International called on Canadian authorities Wednesday to arrest and prosecute George W. Bush, saying the former U.S. president authorized �torture� when he directed the U.S.-led war on terror.

Bush is expected to attend an economic summit in Surrey in Canada�s westernmost British Columbia province on October 20.

The London-based group charged that Bush has legal responsibility for a series of human rights violations in a memorandum submitted last month to Canada�s attorney general but only now released to the media.

�Canada is required by its international obligations to arrest and prosecute former president Bush given his responsibility for crimes under international law including torture,� Amnesty�s Susan Lee said in a statement.

�As the U.S. authorities have, so far, failed to bring former president Bush to justice, the international community must step in. A failure by Canada to take action during his visit would violate the UN Convention Against Torture and demonstrate contempt for fundamental human rights,� Lee said.

A spokesman for the Canadian government was not immediately available for comment.

Bush cancelled a visit to Switzerland in February, after facing similar public calls for his arrest.

Alex Neve, secretary general of Amnesty International�s Canadian branch, told a press conference the rights group will pursue its case against the former U.S. president with the governments of other countries he might visit.

�Torturers must face justice and their crimes are so egregious that the responsibility for ensuring justice is shared by all nations,� Neve said.

�Friend or foe, extraordinary or very ordinary times, most or least powerful nation, faced with concerns about terrorism or any other threat, torture must be stopped.

�Bringing to justice the people responsible for torture is central to that goal. It is the law� And no one, including the man who served as president of the world�s most powerful nation for eight years can be allowed to stand above that law.�

Amnesty, backed by the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group, claims Bush authorized the use of �enhanced interrogation techniques� and �waterboarding� on detainees held in secret by the Central Intelligence Agency between 2002 and 2009.

The detention program included �torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment [such as being forced to stay for hours in painful positions and sleep deprivation], and enforced disappearances,� it alleged.

Amnesty�s case, outlined in its 1,000-page memorandum, relies on the public record, U.S. documents obtained through access to information requests, Bush�s own memoir and a Red Cross report critical of the U.S.�s war on terror policies.

Amnesty cites several instances of alleged torture of detainees at the Guantanamo Bay naval facility, in Afghanistan and in Iraq, by the US military.

They include that of Zayn al Abidin Muhammed Husayn (known as Abu Zubaydah) and 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, both arrested in Pakistan. The two men were waterboarded 266 times between them from 2002 to 2003, according to the CIA inspector general, cited by Amnesty.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We all know waterboarding is not torture grin

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the Canadian government under Amnesty International authority ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Who gives a schit what AI thinks or says?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go ahead and try to do so,.....

Bring yer' Queen",

you will be needing her,...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

[bleep] 'em.

[Linked Image]
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Go ahead and try to do so,.....

Bring yer' Queen",

you will be needing her,...

GTC

Didn't we already stop that invasion in 1812 already? wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Brian does, and that says it all.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Funny, I don't see Amnesty International calling for the US to arrest Achmed Amadinnerjacket when he visits the UN. I also don't recall them complaining about Sadam or Kadaffy. And why didn't they ask us to arrest the entire Chinese delegation when they visited. The hypocracy here is deafening.

Sean

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Only the the third world and lefturds.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brian needs to be water boarded

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An enema would work just as well. Wouldn't be anything left.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I will throw in for a ticket from Crawford to Edmonton. Oh I forgot, GWB is from Maine. Lets fly him from Boston to Quebec, it will be faster!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCBrian
For this to be the headline in my country's biggest newspaper today is a sad statement of affairs.
A sad statement of affairs regarding which country?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Digs
Funny, I don't see Amnesty International calling for the US to arrest Achmed Amadinnerjacket when he visits the UN. I also don't recall them complaining about Sadam or Kadaffy. And why didn't they ask us to arrest the entire Chinese delegation when they visited. The hypocracy here is deafening.

Sean

+1

Last edited by Auger01; 10/13/11.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You're right Brian. It's an insult to decent Canadians. But then, so are most of your posts.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amnesty International became pretty much a shill for the left a long time ago. To be fair, Brian is saying they're full of schit, not agreeing with them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AI is the biggest bunch of idiots that ever walked the planet. Who gives a rats Azz what they say. Shame on your newspaper for even giving them any credibility.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Amnesty International became pretty much a shill for the left a long time ago. To be fair, Brian is saying they're full of schit, not agreeing with them.

Agreed.
I didn't at all get the impression that BC was in support of AI's stance.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
To be fair, Brian is saying they're full of schit, not agreeing with them.
Thanks Steve. I didn't read it that way. I was remembering Brian taking the part of the detractors of the Bush Admin policies sanctioning enhanced interrogation for certain Al Queda detainees. So I took his mention of sad state of affairs proceeded by his statements of disdain for Bush to mean it was sad Bush had not been taken to justice yet. If that was wrong, then Brian may be able to count himself among decent Canadians, which are all those I've had the good fortune to meet.

I still have a notion many of his posts are not the high points of some of our Canadian members days, though. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
331 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.