Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've looked at some of the new bows and to be honest they are hard to hold steady for me. Granted I like a light bow to pack around, but They are so light I struggle for steadiness with them.

I thing they may have gone too far! However you can always add weight I suppose but you cannot take it off! Anyway, I think I'm sticking with the Switchback, I've not seen anything yet that takes my breath away when I shoot it.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Switchback is a great bow, IMO just as good as a hunting bow as any of the new ones out there.

I felt the same way when searching for a bow this past year. I tried all I could find that would fit me and even with a huge stabilizer I just wasn't near as steady as I was with my old bow.

I located a Vendetta XL and tried it out, and it blew me away with it's smoothness and ease of shooting. I've always thought that Hoyt and Matthews were the best bows for me but the new Pro Series from PSE have really impressed me.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to stick something with it tomorrow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have looked at all the new bows but nothing feels as good as my Outback.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The switchback is an awesome bow no doubt, I loved mine (the XT) and now I have the Z7, I love it too.

If asked I haven't really gained too much over my XT but....I do believe I shoot my Z7 a hair better.

With my Z7 I also don't use my stabilizer where on my XT I did.

Honestly not much difference but I am happy with what little I have gained.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes an when a bow set up at 50 to 60 LBS goes threw a game animal at 40 yards what more do you need

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I decided to upgrade from the LX I shopped around and tried quite a few new bows. Went to a shop that had some new, but old stock SB XTs and after shooting other new bows along side the XT, I walked out the proud new owner of an XT. It's not as fast as my LX(305 vs 297 w/ 400g), but it darn sure is a sweet shooter.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by savage62
Yes an when a bow set up at 50 to 60 LBS goes threw a game animal at 40 yards what more do you need

Ok I'll bite. What does draw weight and penetration have to do with the physical weight of a bow?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
When I decided to upgrade from the LX I shopped around and tried quite a few new bows. Went to a shop that had some new, but old stock SB XTs and after shooting other new bows along side the XT, I walked out the proud new owner of an XT. It's not as fast as my LX(305 vs 297 w/ 400g), but it darn sure is a sweet shooter.

Would say that 8fps of difference won't matter at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
it sure wouldn't matter enough to matter!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
8 FPS is nothing and will be impossible to tell any difference at all....................HB

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree JJ, some of these new bows are too light and make it tough to hold steady, I like a bare bow to weigh in the 4 to 4.5 pound range but no lighter.............HB

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't find any issues or problems with shooting a light weight bow. However were I do see a problem and issues is in to much let off. As JJHACK said already you can add weight to a light weight bow but you can't take weight off a heavy bow. I shoot a very heavy Hoyt Vantage Ltd and a very light Hoyt Carbon Matrix. The only thing I can really tell you is that the let off is too much on the Carbon Matrix. Besides that the bow is a dream.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I really like the Hoyt Carbon Element with the light-weight AXT 5 oz carbon quiver, MBG Rush sight and Whisker Biscuit rest. No stabilizer and about 4-1/2#s with 5 arrows (took off the stabilizer bushing and grip to save another few ounces). Shot a good black bear in the spring when grizzly hunting and another two weeks ago when chasing alpine mulies. It carries like a dream..........very nice when on a two week backpack stone sheep hunt in August. No sheep but not the bow, rather the bad weather that was the issue. This bow replaced a fairly light Mathews Drenilin that I still have. The Hoyt shoots fixed blade broadheads well out to 60 yards, as far as I typically practice. Anyway, I shoot it well enough to take it on all my hunts.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My compound is a 2003 Pearson Freedom. It weighs about 4.5lbs bare. When I shoot some of the newer compounds that weigh less than 4lbs bare they feel strange, but that is probably due to lighter mass weight as well as more extreme let off. It is also something that a shooter would most likely be able to get used to and take advantage of.

A lot of newer bows are getting smaller( try to find more than a couple of 36" ATA hunting bows).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I prefer a light bow, and light accessories. I also prefer a light gun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe you should leave your quiver on your bow when you shoot it. That would certainly add a good bit of weight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,536 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.