Built by APA
Seekins mounts
Best low-light scope in the world�..grin

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Someone is always asking this question, "best low light scope", everyone has an opinion or has one that works for them, rarely do you see a direct comparison. Personally I doubt there is 3 minutes of shooting time difference in any of them from a $200 Burris to a $2000 Zeiss. To my eyes the biggest difference is to be able to see the reticle in low light.

Here is what you want if you got the money, D-740 4X Gen3 PINNACLE

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are direct comparisons that have been performed that have been published (best known are the Finnish tests - the greatest nation of riflemen on the planet, who know more about low light hunting than probably anybody else). The differences are typically much longer than you might expect. But anecdotally, i can tell you the tests are done informally nearly every night across Australia. Whatever the latest and greatest new scope out on the market, guys will be sitting around comparing it with the benchmark scopes as light falls. Many of these guys are professionals, and they only shoot after dark. Their livelihood rides on the performance of their scopes, and many invest more in their scopes than their rifles.

You are quite correct though - reticle choice is most important. And a lot of folks think if they just get a x56 sope they will get good low-light performance. But many of these x56 scopes have very fine reticles, especially the ballistic-type reticles, which are just impossible to use in dim light. Personally, i like a simple FFP plex, but probably only because i won't cough up the money for an illuminated reticle.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What do you recommend? smile

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zeiss, as the guys have said. But there is very little between Zeiss, S&B, Swaro and Kahles. I have the big Z6, and it is definitely not quite as good as the Zeiss (but is better in other respects). I think Docter optic is also up there, but that is word of mouth - i haven't used Docter.

Just basically choose a scope from somewhere that beat up on the Frogs last century and you will be right.

IC B2

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And just in case there is a kiwi optics manufacturer i am unaware of, beating up on the Frogs in rugby doesn't count.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It is not that simple as one scope. Basically, the larger the objective lense, the more mmagnification you can use. Which sounds simple, but there is alot more to it.
First of all, alot of people, as they age, loose some of their night vision. That means at some point, all of them quit. Those that have full night vision, it's a matter of how much magnifcation one has availiable with enough exit pupil size to make it work. The more magnification, the further one can see.
Then, as others have pointed out, you have to see the reticle. So, either buy a scope with one of the heavier reticles, or go to an illuminated reticle.
On top of all of this are the tradeoffs one makes especially when going to the big 50-56mm scopes. Big variables tend to have a number of problems. They shift zero more when bumped, they break down under recoil more readily, and they sit higher on the rifle.
I'm not surprised the euro hunters like the 8X56 scopes for night hunting. An 8X56 can see further than a 6X42. Besides being cheaper to buy, they are also probably more reliable.
If the high position of the 50-56mm scopes bothers you, check out the Leupold VX-L scopes. They are designed to sit lower.
BTW, the US and asian rim rifle scope makers have made excellent, fully multicoated optics that work just as well as anything made in europe for sometime. Check out some of Barsness's testing in his Rifle Loony News. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So a multi element Zeiss lets more light thru than a fewer element fixed 6X? I am interested in this comparison!! I have a pair of Victory binoculars and a pair of Pentax DCF SP both 8 x 42, I am pressed these days to see a major difference as the sun sets, but maybe its my eyes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spot on

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here we go again!!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have owned and hunted with alot of quality scopes in my lifetime. But no doubt the best low light hunting scope I have ever used was a fixed power 8X56 S&B. However I don't know if I would consider that a good coyote scope.

For coyote I would probably have to go with the Zeiss 3X12X56. That is also a very fine hunting scope. As long as you don't mind the extra weight. Tom.

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree! If you want a low light "see in the dark scope" buy a night vision Gen 2 or 3 and be done with it. If I can see an animal with my eyes or binoc's, then I can see it in my riflescopes. Who goes glassing the horizon, woods, bushe, and fields in the dark with a loaded rifle??? Not me! The reticle thing I have personally experienced with a 50mm Kahles American set at 3.5X so go figure.

However I am sure I am delusional, someone smarter than me will tell me why in a minute, Phils FXIII is probably as good as it gets logically.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have to agree with the people who say the Ziess Victory Series 3-12x56 is the absolute best low light hunting scope.

I have three of them,but they are not the best scope foe every application,Melvin Forbes told me that one of his NULA rifles will reduce one to parts in less than 50 rounds.

Both of my NULA rifles have VX3 Leupolds. It is the toughest,lightest variable IMHO.

Best low light scope for the money is a Ziess Conquest IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I have to agree with the people who say the Ziess Victory Series 3-12x56 is the absolute best low light hunting scope.

I have three of them,but they are not the best scope foe every application,Melvin Forbes told me that one of his NULA rifles will reduce one to parts in less than 50 rounds.

Both of my NULA rifles have VX3 Leupolds. It is the toughest,lightest variable IMHO.

Best low light scope for the money is a Ziess Conquest IMHO.

I run a Victory 3x12x56 on one of Melvin's guns with no problems. In all fairness it was a 7STW though..................grin

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I agree! If you want a low light "see in the dark scope" buy a night vision Gen 2 or 3 and be done with it. If I can see an animal with my eyes or binoc's, then I can see it in my riflescopes. Who goes glassing the horizon, woods, bushe, and fields in the dark with a loaded rifle??? Not me! The reticle thing I have personally experienced with a 50mm Kahles American set at 3.5X so go figure.

However I am sure I am delusional, someone smarter than me will tell me why in a minute, Phils FXIII is probably as good as it gets logically.

You need some better Bino's.............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
zeiss victory binocs 8 x 42, you guys need to actually get out in the woods more.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/20/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been known to go there on occasion..............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
as have "eye" grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eyes have to. If you open both of them you'll soon learn that you can see stuff later thru bino's that you can thru any scope less batteries..............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK you win, I agree I can see an animal past legal shooting time with my binoculars that I cannot shoot legally. I can see some of them with a Conquest 2.5 x 8 that I still cannot legally shoot anyway.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.