24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you open both of them you'll soon learn that you can see stuff later thru bino's

I compared my Minox 13X56, Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, and Nightforce 12-42X56 with all set on 13X as dusk was setting in. The 6500 lasted two minutes longer than the Minox and the Nightforce lasted eighteen minutes longer than the Minox.

I will compare the Bushnell 8X42 that I got last week with a couple rifle scopes this evening.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by raghorn
Eyes have to. If you open both of them you'll soon learn that you can see stuff later thru bino's that you can thru any scope less batteries..............

Depends on the bino, but if it's a good 8x42 I agree.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That depends on which rifle scope, which binoculars and if your eyes can see the difference. I have an excellent 8X42 Leica BA that has always worked in any twilight, even full cloud cover days w/o any moonlight. But my 6X42 rifle scopes always work in full darkness, when the Leica binocular does not. Why ? Because the 6X42 has a 7mm exit pupil and my vison still has all of it's night capabilities.
Now, I'm sure if I had the 8X56 Zeiss binoculars I once owned, they would work even better than the 6X42 rifle scope. Why ? Two eyes allow more depth perception. And an 8X always allows one to see further under bad light conditions than a 6X. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn if I am not going to have to break a long string of ABL and buy one of these just to see for myself. My Night Vision still works, maybe not as good as E's however. I have noticed that in total darkness I cannot see through any scope that I have, the Leupold 6 x 42 may change all of that...

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
s*b, Nightforce,Zeiss,meopta in this order

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I switched to a Pulsar CCI for night work. Can't see through scopes at night much anymore anyway.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That depends on which rifle scope, which binoculars and if your eyes can see the difference. I have an excellent 8X42 Leica BA that has always worked in any twilight, even full cloud cover days w/o any moonlight. But my 6X42 rifle scopes always work in full darkness, when the Leica binocular does not. Why ? Because the 6X42 has a 7mm exit pupil and my vison still has all of it's night capabilities.
Now, I'm sure if I had the 8X56 Zeiss binoculars I once owned, they would work even better than the 6X42 rifle scope. Why ? Two eyes allow more depth perception. And an 8X always allows one to see further under bad light conditions than a 6X. E

I'm speechless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Eyes have to. If you open both of them you'll soon learn that you can see stuff later thru bino's that you can thru any scope less batteries..............

Point taken.
I kinda assumed that one would have enough sense to compare like quality/MM bino's to scopes, but there I go assuming again. Guess I forgot where I was at..............

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Makes sense to me. There is, IMO, a reduction in depth perception with increasing power, and I'm guessing 7x is the sweet spot. I think this is why 7x50's were the standard in bygone years, especially for nautical stuff.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Point taken.
I kinda assumed that one would have enough sense to compare like quality/MM bino's to scopes, but there I go assuming again. Guess I forgot where I was at..............

No nothing wrong with your statement, my eyes are probably not as good as E's but NV still works some. Yes my 8x42 zeiss binocs are good, but I am happy with my zeiss conquest scopes within normal hours as well. Just had a thought, my shots are usually pretty close, we maybe talking about apples and oranges.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/20/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Close helps alot of optics perform better.............grin.
I hunt where a 200 yard or longer shot can come up and high quality MM's rule in both scopes and binos as do FFP reticles.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dhg
But anecdotally, i can tell you the tests are done informally nearly every night across Australia. Whatever the latest and greatest new scope out on the market, guys will be sitting around comparing it with the benchmark scopes as light falls. Many of these guys are professionals, and they only shoot after dark.

Are you referring to head shots on 'roos in the weeds after dark?

--Randy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Point taken.

Didn't mean to be insulting and only meant the bino and scope should be similar in quality. In Eremicus's example he forgets that a 8x42 bino has (2) 42mm objectives and (2) 5.25mm exit pupils not to mention more magnification and double the FOV of a 6x42 riflescope. Your eyes, if working properly, get more light from the bino but those vision concepts are to deep for him to process. Like Big Stick would say.....vivid "Imagination".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Originally Posted by dhg
But anecdotally, i can tell you the tests are done informally nearly every night across Australia. Whatever the latest and greatest new scope out on the market, guys will be sitting around comparing it with the benchmark scopes as light falls. Many of these guys are professionals, and they only shoot after dark.

Are you referring to head shots on 'roos in the weeds after dark?

As a fellow Aussie , you bet!! I have had the pleasure of seeing a professional roo shooter at work and I must say, these guys dont mess around with their gear. If it doesnt work, they simply wont use it.

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been to Australia only once, but the "low light" application was just that-- shining roos all night, strictly head shots. Now, if they just had a cane toad solution. eek

--Randy

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'Roo's are a large part of it these days and are the main deal for professional shooters, although less significant currently as the foreign markets for the meat have fallen over. Guys on the land are also generally much less worried by kangaroo numbers these days, as it seems they don't really represent significant competition for feed most of the time (sometimes they do, but often they are just not worth controlling). When i was growing up, i had an older friend who made a living from helicopter pest control - pack a few ARs into a 'chopper and blaze away like a gun ship at pigs, buffalo and wild horses. They might shoot hundreds of animals in a day! With folks now paying thousands of dollars to take a buffalo, it seems kinda weird now that not that long ago there were guys being paid good money to shoot dozens of them a day.

When i was growing up, the good money was foxes - we could get as much as $20 a skin and you might shoot 10 in a night (it was slow work though). I used to make a pocket money as a kid knocking foxes over at night. We would also shoot a lot of rabbits and pigs, but generally, there was no money in that. Australia has until recently not really had much of a "hunting culture", unlike the US and Europe. If you lived in rural Australia, you started shooting at a young age and it was really just part of the farm chores. You'd get home, and be given a .22 and a box of ammunition and asked to go out and shoot some rabbits (or an old SMLE for pigs and 'roos). It was like being asked to go and do the mowing. Nobody "hunted" - you would just shoot and shoot and shoot. You would often go through several boxes of ammunition in an evening because there were just so many animals to control.

I have also spent a lot of time in the mountains of New Zealand, and the war over there at times on feral animals has been even more incredible. They still have helicopter "gunships" shooting dozens of such desirable animals as himalayan tahr and european chamios. Hundreds of guys were working as professional deer cullers, leaving dead animals in the field, only a few decades ago.

These days, things are much different. We have good deer populations, and we have developed a culture of trying to manage these populations. Most of us get a rifle out these days for fun and we respect the animals we hunt. There was certainly no respect when i was a kid - it was a war!

Last edited by dhg; 10/20/11.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it comes to "best," you really have to pick some level of price point and define what hunting at what ranges you might be referring to. It is all well and good to name the most expensive brands: obviously those that buy them think they are worth it.

Is a coyote really worth the ammo? In Illinois, that's a good question . . . much less a high end scope. Anyway, there are price points that become a factor sooner or later.

--Randy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RHutch
7WSM
FN SPR action
Jewel trigger
Broughton 1:9 #4 at 24"
McM Sako hunter
Built by APA
Seekins mounts
Best low-light scope in the world�..grin

Thanks Rhutch, I thought that was an FN. Reminds me of my FN PBR XP is why I asked. Great looking set-up, thanks for posting...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
147 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.