-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 3-9 Redfield Widefield with Accurange.It is in decent shape.It has a ring mark in front of the turrets and a few scratches. The lenses are very clear.Other then 3-9 Redfield written on the elevation turret there is no serial number etc on the scope.

I have quite a bit of literature as well as some yardage turrets that came with the scope.No box though.

Here is what I have for the scope.

1.Redfield instruction book.Very small.It covers mounts,reticles etc.

2.The owners half of the warranty card. No name or address is filled in.

3.Redfield scope book.It covers zeroing,parallax,changing power etc.

4.A Redfield '67 "scope mount sight catalog" it covers their line of scopes,mounts,open sights and a scope mount chart.

5.Redfield Accurange directions.It covers using the Accurange system,sighting in and the extra turrets.

6. It looks like 5 extra turrets numbered 2-6.Yardage I assume:) Also 2 large aluminum pieces to mount the different turrets to the scope along with the needed screw.

I got it from an older gentleman I know.He has owned it since new but he didn't quite remember what year he bought it.I am guessing 1967 would be a good bet:).It would be cool to mount on an older rifle and use it.But I may sell it since I do not have any older rifles although I could remedy that.:) Maybe a nice 7X57.

Thank you guys for any info/help.

Bill/WI

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I remember going to the local sporting goods store when I was 15 or 16 and seeing these scopes. I always thought the "wide screen" lenses were cool. Does anyone have one? how has it held up. I should mount it on a gun and give it a whirl:)

Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen them and used one on a .222, years ago.
They're pretty cool and still very useful.
I believe they even saw action with our ARMY and Marine snipers in Vietnam.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They are great scopes worth about $100-125, there are people that collect them. I remember going in the gun shop in the mid-70's, getting a new Remington 700, 3x9 Redfield Widefield scope, Redfield bases $ rings, and 5 boxes of ammo for less than $325. I still have that scope its been on 8 rifles over time, and still have it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps a bit off topic, but here's this:
My hunting friend Dennis, bought a Rem. BDL in 30-06 and a Redfield 3x9 "Tracker" in 1978, I was with him on the purchases.
This is THE ONLY hunting rifle he owns. With that rifle and that
Redfield, Dennis is one of THE best shots I have ever seen.
I doubt that he would ever change that scope, unless something bad happened to it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
They are great scopes worth about $100-125, there are people that collect them. I remember going in the gun shop in the mid-70's, getting a new Remington 700, 3x9 Redfield Widefield scope, Redfield bases $ rings, and 5 boxes of ammo for less than $325. I still have that scope its been on 8 rifles over time, and still have it.

Interesting.

That same rig bought today would be-

New Remington BDL -$850
New Redieild 3x9 $175
Bases and rings $75
Five boxes of ammo
@ 25 per bx-------$125
--------------------------
$1,225

You could save a few hundred dollars total by going with a cheaper Remington SPS, less expensive mounts and $20 or less per box ammo, but that above would over top drawer stuff in most locations for a standard caliber rifle

According to the CPI inflation calculator here -
http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=320&year1=1975&year2=2010

$320 spent in 1975 is equivalent to $1296.99 in 2010 dollars..

So, looking at it that way, the cost of rifles etc is not that bad.

We've all just lived long enough that it just seems that way. wink

Last edited by jim62; 01/30/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jim62

You could save a few hundred dollars total by going with a cheaper Remington SPS, less expensive mounts and $20 or less per box ammo, but that above would over top drawer stuff in most locations for a standard caliber rifle

According to the CPI inflation calculator here -
http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=320&year1=1975&year2=2010

$320 spent in 1975 is equivalent to $1296.99 in 2010 dollars..

So, looking at it that way, the cost of rifles etc is not that bad.

We've all just lived long enough that it just seems that way. wink

As much as I bi(t)ch about the cost of rifles, you're right--a M700 today is cheaper than it was 30, 40 years ago.

I bought a brand new M700 Classic in 1978 on sale for $225 dollars........

I bought a Leupy Vari-X III 2.5-8 from Midway in 1992 for $310 to my door.......at $399 plus shipping, the new 2.5-8 hasn't increased as much as inflation.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 3-9X Redfield that came to me on a Sako AV that dated to 1991...I'm expecting the scope is about the same age as the rifle..

What exactly do I have here?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rembo; 01/30/11.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
rembo: looks like and old redfield 3x9 illuminator accu-trac wideview. Very fine scope at the time, outclassed leupold.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
I have a 3-9 Redfield Widefield with Accurange.It is in decent shape.It has a ring mark in front of the turrets and a few scratches. The lenses are very clear.Other then 3-9 Redfield written on the elevation turret there is no serial number etc on the scope.

I have quite a bit of literature as well as some yardage turrets that came with the scope.No box though.

Here is what I have for the scope.

1.Redfield instruction book.Very small.It covers mounts,reticles etc.

2.The owners half of the warranty card. No name or address is filled in.

3.Redfield scope book.It covers zeroing,parallax,changing power etc.

4.A Redfield '67 "scope mount sight catalog" it covers their line of scopes,mounts,open sights and a scope mount chart.

5.Redfield Accurange directions.It covers using the Accurange system,sighting in and the extra turrets.

6. It looks like 5 extra turrets numbered 2-6.Yardage I assume:) Also 2 large aluminum pieces to mount the different turrets to the scope along with the needed screw.

I got it from an older gentleman I know.He has owned it since new but he didn't quite remember what year he bought it.I am guessing 1967 would be a good bet:).It would be cool to mount on an older rifle and use it.But I may sell it since I do not have any older rifles although I could remedy that.:) Maybe a nice 7X57.

Thank you guys for any info/help.

Bill/WI
I bought a scope like that in the early 80's just before redfield closed its doors. I think I payed around 325.00 for it new.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
I remember going to the local sporting goods store when I was 15 or 16 and seeing these scopes. I always thought the "wide screen" lenses were cool. Does anyone have one? how has it held up. I should mount it on a gun and give it a whirl:)

Bill
I have one and it's about 30 yrs old and doing fine. Had it on a 7mm mag, 30-06, 243, 22-250, and now a 270, still works fine. A friend of mine has one on a 30-06, it still works also.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am thinking I will have to find me an older wood stocked gun and get the scope mounted. I am not sure how much adjustment they have in them but I will give it a go.Maybe I will stick on my 10/22 and shoot it for a bit.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I certainly appreciate it.

Bill/WI

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The different turrets are for different trajectories. If you put the scope on a 22 you would use one turret, on a 30-06 another. The older Redfields were very good scopes. I have a 21 year old 6x18 Accutrac on a 25-06 thats still going strong.

C
C
Good afternoon all. New member and looking for a little help. Thanfully I found this thread.

I inherited a rifle and scope from an uncle that recently passed and looking for information on a Redfield 6 x 18 scope. I am looking for a manual that could help me understand the setup fo the scope.

I believe it is from the 70 or 80's and it has a range finder within the scope.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cajun1; 10/21/11.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a Redfield Widefield 1.75 X 5 in the early 80's. I'm still using it, it has been on a few rifles and muzzle loaders. For the last 5 years it's been on my go to deer rifle a Rem 7600 35 Whelen. Never had a problem with the scope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.