Print Thread
Hop To
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm thinking about replacing the rear and front sights of the Bisley with a shallow V rear and a bead front. Do any of you have suggestions of where to look? Or, other options (iron sights only). Thanks.

Landrum

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I replace the sight on my 44 mag Blackhawk with the HI-Vis and on my Bisley I installed the Red Insert. One photo was before the Stag Grips. The Shallow V Blade from the Redhawk should work on your Bisley rear sight

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I put a Bowen rough country rear and a Weigan Combat fiber optic front on my Bisley, works great.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been there, done that, don't recommend it...

A Gary Reeder Custom .41 that I had made up came with a FA gold bead front and Ruger V notch rear... I found it very difficult to keep things aligned for long range shooting... Same with a FA 97 .41 I bough a few years ago and a Ruger Single Six Hunter...

The Gary Reeder still has the gold bead front but the rear V was replaced with a One Ragged Hole Peep blade. That worked ok but later the whole rear assembly was replaced with a Bowen Custom rear sight with white outline rear notch.... One day the front bead will be replaced with Clement Custom Keith Long range front like I have made for a FA 83.

The One Ragged Hole Peep was moved over to the 7.5" Single Six Hunter andit works very well. The rear blade on the FA 97 was replaced with a standard FA notch.

Single-Six Hunter with Super Blackhawk Hunter...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Original V on the FA 97...

[Linked Image]

FO front was replaced with a gold bead...

[Linked Image]

Gary Reeder on Day One using the V rear...

[Linked Image]

Replaced with One Ragged Hole Rear...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Single%20Action/021406ReederCustom001.jpg[/img]

Bowen Long Range Keith front on FA83...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Single%20Action/FreedomArms061910014.jpg[/img]

Almost forgot the S&W 357PD...it also came with a FO front and V rear... I just have a hard time holding consistent elevation with the V...so they were replaced with Meprolight Night Sights...

With factory sights...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/SW41s013011001.jpg[/img]

With night sights...world of difference...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMITH-WESSON/SW357PD091811004.jpg[/img]

YMMV.....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had a gold bead/rear-v setup on my Ruger Redhawk and found that standard sights were much faster. A rear-v sight works best on a handgun, in my opinion, when paired with a big dot, either fiber optic or otherwise, up front. A small bead just gets lost and I found the sight picture to be slower than a standard partridge blade setup.

If you could get an XS "big dot" style front sight to match the rear-v I think you'd get better results than going with the smallish gold beads that are available.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jstall
I put a Bowen rough country rear and a Weigan Combat fiber optic front on my Bisley, works great.
I like the standard Bowen target sight with either a standard factory front or an orange ramp. The Rough Country is a great sight, but they're fairly massive. If I was hard on my revolvers, I'd probably opt for one because they do everything Bowen claims.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Landrum
I'm thinking about replacing the rear and front sights of the Bisley with a shallow V rear and a bead front. Do any of you have suggestions of where to look? Or, other options (iron sights only). Thanks.

Landrum

I highly recommend the Bowen rear. I have used the "V" notch sights and I never ever shoot them as accurately

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Bowen Rough Country fits really good on the gun, it doesn't look out of place so to speak. You definitly don't have to worry about the sight moving after locking it down (although I haven't had any problems with a standard adjustable sight moving either, I just wanted to try one.) I really like the green fiber optic front (it's a SDM blade that goes in the Weigan Combat base)The fiber optic actually sits recessed in the hole on the sight, so you get a clear round dot. It's so much easier for me to see in the woods.

Last edited by jstall; 10/27/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 30 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.