Print Thread
Hop To
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I drew a muzzloader muledeer hunt for this area this season. I've been in parts of each unit but never hunted it. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to scout as I had intended.

The hunt is for the first two weeks of November and I'm hunting the last week. Does anyone have information on access, road conditions, hunting pressure, deer numbers etc ?

I have about three areas picked out but would appreciate any current information. PM's only if you have specific info to share.

I'm holding out for a decent 4x4 this season. I'm just trying to narrow down the options. I will not be using stock or atv's but am willing to do some hiking.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some areas will probably be snowed in, especially at higher elevations. That being said, if possible the N side of Mt. Harrison (about 1/2 mile from lookout some big rocks are blocking a 2 track to the right) is good. Other than that I would try down near Jackpot NV. Mule Canyon, China Creek and some of the areas going towards Jarbidge always hold deer. There's lots of good areas in those 3 units.

I would avoid Soshone Basin if you're looking for a mature buck. Not too many in there and lots of snow machiners.

L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
thanks DH. You must have spent some time in Idaho I take it. I've heard the same about shoshone basin and am leaning towards unit 55 right now.

Any information is appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem. My sister lives in Burley, so I get down there a lot. I bird hunt that area every year and one time was drawn for the 55 rifle hunt. I pulled a descent 170 class muley off Mt. Harrison down the blocked 2 track described above.

That late you may also want to try looking into the juniper forests around Gem Sage, which is a "mountain" range between Elba and Malta and the Cottrails (Sp?). They are more winter range than Mt. Harrison is.

In reality there is no wrong place to try around there. Lots of big deer but like everywhere else they're damn smart.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of 55 is hard to access because of private land blocking the public land. I've seen quite a few in the City of Rocks area. Most of the Castle Rocks park is open for hunting but it's not generally known.If the migration is going, the desert in the SE part of the unit can be lively but watch out for muddy roads!!

47 near the highway can be very good late in the season because it's a wintering area. I've done very well low down along the Wilson-Lime Creek road.

Shoshone Basin always has deer. Most likely the roads will be ok in early Nov, but go prepared. If it gets nasty, the roads should be in better shape than in 55 because the soil is rockier.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
that's good information to know. I was wondering where deer would go for wintering area. It's all pretty high elevation.

Has anyone drawn a late tag for these units? How did you do?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Usually Nov isn't a problem but if we get more snow up high, they'll move down onto private land. Keep in mind Idaho's trespass laws on unposted private land.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.