-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get yourself an old Mossberg Model 44 then go embarras your friends with their high dollar rifles.

`Bring Enough Gun`
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKBoater
My first rifle when I was 7 was a marlin 880. I hadn't shot it in awhile so last year I took it out. After plinking for awhile I decided to see if it could truely drive tacks. With my last 4 rounds I shot the tacks off my target at 50 yds. Don't know how the current Marlin 22lr compares but I sure like my 880.

An outstandingly accurate gun for the money. Hunt for one and you might find it in the $200 range. The gun I bought my son, and was so impressed with I bought an 882ss (22 mag) for myself. About the only knock on them is their triger is horrible and could use a little emery cloth. Other than that, buy it, and invest the rest of the money in a decent scope if you like.

Last edited by Mink; 11/04/11.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Any experience with the browning t bolt?

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd check out a Marlin gun. I have one of the older 1970's model Glenfield's they produced that I only payed $20 for a couple of years ago. I've shot thousands of rounds through that beat up ugly gun and it has been nothing but accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used one or even give a new Marlin a try.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My most accurate 22lr is my Anschutz 1907 repeater, but it is well above your price range, and very heavy. My Brno Model 4 is very close behind accuracy wise, but they are long out of production, and they are quite heavy as well. However, if you look around a nice one can be had for around $600 to $700. My most accurate sporters in 22lr have been my Cooper Jackson Hunter, my CZ452,my CZ455. and my old Remington 541S. The CZs and my 541 are very close, with the 541S being ever so slightly more accurate, perhaps due to the better trigger. If I had to buy new, I would go with a CZ453.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
have had very good luck with all of the 580 series and 541's myself..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Mebbe a Remington 513T would do the trick. Only have a sample of one, but it's a bughole shooter. 513S would do the same if not abused in the field in the decades of its existence.

My 513t was good enough to win a state championship.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by gunchamp
What is the most accurate bolt action 22 lr you can buy out of the box? Not looking to spend cooper money. I've been told the ruger 77/22 or the cz 452. You guys feel that its between those two? Thanks.

without a second thought, it's the Cooper! The only thing better is one built off a custom action or a calfee built XP action.
gary

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gunchamp: Of the two brands you mention I would give the Ruger 77/22 V/T a try!
I have a couple of close friends that have the Ruger 77/22 V/T's and they ARE accurate.
One has had a Clark trigger job done it but the other is all stock - they both shoot just under 1/2" at 50 yards.
The rotary magazine of the Ruger just puts it in a class all by itself for speed, looks and convenience.
I had to spend some serious moola to get a Kimber Model 82-G, a Kimber Hunter/Silohuette and a Remington 40X that can BARELY outshoot my friends Rugers with Varminting ammo!
The CZ heavy barrel 22's shoot well indeed but the bassackwards safety and the hang down clips make them undesirable to me.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I know of one Cooper that shoots sub .200" groups with a tuner. Without it, it will shoot low threes and high twos. A 40X won't do that, and an Anschutze that does this will set you back a ton of money. I've seen some 52D's that shot like that, but they are hard to find these days. Find a good used Cooper,and do a barrel set back with a 52D chamber.
gary

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My best ever has been a CZ 452.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako Finnfire - of course they are fairly hard to find now. Both Marlin and Savage put out some very accurate little .22s and they certainly won't break the bank.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well I have a very accurate CZ 452 varmint and I would recommend the CZ to anyone.

However, I have to say the Savage MkII's are very accurate and I just picked up a FV model on sale with a heavy fluted barrel in a syn stock with the accu-trigger. Any model with a V in the name (Savage models drive me crazy) will be a pretty good shooter. The syn stock is not very good, but makes for a handy rifle. My plan was to change it out and get a Boyd's replacement and use it for 50yd BR.

I did some research on rimfirecentral.com and tuned the trigger to 10 oz, mounted a 4x12 Leupold on the rings provided (oh, came with a 3x9 Chinese scope also), grabbed some SK Stnd plus ammo, and went to my range just to run some rounds through it at 25 yds.

5 shot groups @ 25yds ran from .163-.492. So, I'm pretty happy with this little rifle. I believe with a better stock and some bedding, this gun will be a shooter. Come next spring I will be shooting the CZ and this rifle in the sporter class in the "fun" matches we have. My goal is to get this rifle to shoot in the 3's @ 50, and I am determined!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
will have to say my progression through 22s has lead me a to a CZ 452 American. Mine has had some trigger work and beded. This was my first day at the range at 50 yrds with Federal auto match ammo from Wal-Mart [Linked Image]

Last edited by savagehunter83; 11/10/11.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
CZ453 with a decent scope will cut staples regularly at 25 yards. And I don't use the set trigger on mine ever. The regular trigger breaks like glass with no creep or overtravel. I got mine used, but as new in box for a good price. One hole groups are the norm at 25. 50 opens up a bit, but a penny or even a dime would cover most groups. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Kimber .22 and it is very accurate, especially with any kind of match ammo.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What is the most accurate bolt action 22 lr you can buy out of the box? Not looking to spend cooper money.

Awe, come on! cry Give a Cooper a try grin

57M Custom Classic
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My 70 yd group with RWS Target Rifle.

[Linked Image]

Their 40 something yd group. (42 yds IIRC)

[Linked Image]
Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 11/23/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alot of good on the cz. Thats what I've been hearing all over the place. Thanks.

Gunchamp...

I had one final thought to share with you because most of the posts have said nothing about it, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT...

Once you choose your "most accurate" rifle, a "BIGGIE" is the ammo you decide to shoot through it !~!~!

I test over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo... and my pillar-bedded CZ453 "Varmint" shot consistently the best (i.e., "most accurately") with Wolf Match/Target .22 rimfire ammo.

Unfortunately, lousy ammo produces lousy groups with amazing consistency... and there's really no way to tell if your rifle is gonna "like" any given brand/type of ammo. There's really no "short-cuts", ya just have to check each brand/type of ammo out and see which one shoots the most accurately IN YOUR RIFLE.

I tried every brand and type of .22 rimfire ammo I could find including the hyper-velocity stuff, the high-velocity stuff, the hollow-pointed stuff and the common so-called standard velocity stuff as well as all the different brands of "target" ammo... and the best was WOLF MATCH/TARGET ammo in my CZ453.

Jus' my 2�... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Alot of good on the cz. Thats what I've been hearing all over the place. Thanks.

Gunchamp...

I had one final thought to share with you because most of the posts have said nothing about it, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT...

Once you choose your "most accurate" rifle, a "BIGGIE" is the ammo you decide to shoot through it !~!~!

I test over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo... and my pillar-bedded CZ453 "Varmint" shot consistently the best (i.e., "most accurately") with Wolf Match/Target .22 rimfire ammo.

Unfortunately, lousy ammo produces lousy groups with amazing consistency... and there's really no way to tell if your rifle is gonna "like" any given brand/type of ammo. There's really no "short-cuts", ya just have to check each brand/type of ammo out and see which one shoots the most accurately IN YOUR RIFLE.

I tried every brand and type of .22 rimfire ammo I could find including the hyper-velocity stuff, the high-velocity stuff, the hollow-pointed stuff and the common so-called standard velocity stuff as well as all the different brands of "target" ammo... and the best was WOLF MATCH/TARGET ammo in my CZ453.

Jus' my 2�... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

+1

Did the same with my Cooper. Tried around 20 different brands. The ones that shot better than my RWS Target Rifle, ran around $15-$18 per box; NOT HAPNIN! Was able to pick up the RWS Target Rifle for about $5.20 per box and bought 5,000 rounds.

Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot the varmint T-bolt and they are a shooter. I'd buy one.

Disabled American Veteran. U.S. Army 2000 - 2007 Proud to have served.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Kimber, Anchutz and 541T in the safe, but find myself grabbing one of my 452's (22lr or 17m2) whenever I go squirrel hunting. The 452 will shoot way better than it's price point.

CK
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.