Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Don't know either, just noticed T tagged a thread form 2013 so he must have just got one recently, bet it's in fine shooting condition regardless of make/manufacturer.

I've had one for a bit. A few years. But, I haven't started reloading for it yet. I've only loaded for my .280 so far.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by deflave
It is a cool cartridge.

Did I miss it? I don't know which rifle tzone is shooting.

Dave

It's a Win M70 xtr featherweight. Leupold vx2 2-7. 22" bbl, Timeny trigger

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PJGunner

The 7x57 in factory guise is a nice accurate mildly kicking round that serves well for most deer hunting so no gripes there but it's like buying a new Corvette and disconnecting two spark plugs. Why shoot a 140 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS when 2800 FPS is easily arrived at? If all I ever hunted deer, that 145 gr. Winchester factory load would most likely do it all but where I hunt ranges can stretch out a bit. I'm just more comfortable with that 140 gr./2800 FPS than the 145 gr./2600FPS, that is if the factory load even gets that fast. I ought to Chrony some if I can ever find any.

Any idea what the Winchester 145gr bullet is? That's the only load I've killed anything with in this gun. It was my longest shot at a deer actually. A bit over 100 yds, probably 125 or so. Shot was a bit 1/4'ing away. Hit the back of leg, heart, and exited above the knee on the off side. The deer died because of the hole in his heart, but the bulled didn't really expand much. Almost not at all.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by gunner500
Don't know either, just noticed T tagged a thread form 2013 so he must have just got one recently, bet it's in fine shooting condition regardless of make/manufacturer.

I've had one for a bit. A few years. But, I haven't started reloading for it yet. I've only loaded for my .280 so far.

You're gonna enjoy it TZone, it's a really fun and effective cartridge.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The 7x57 in factory guise is a nice accurate mildly kicking round that serves well for most deer hunting so no gripes there but it's like buying a new Corvette and disconnecting two spark plugs. Why shoot a 140 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS when 2800 FPS is easily arrived at? If all I ever hunted deer, that 145 gr. Winchester factory load would most likely do it all but where I hunt ranges can stretch out a bit. I'm just more comfortable with that 140 gr./2800 FPS than the 145 gr./2600FPS, that is if the factory load even gets that fast. I ought to Chrony some if I can ever find any.

Any idea what the Winchester 145gr bullet is? That's the only load I've killed anything with in this gun. It was my longest shot at a deer actually. A bit over 100 yds, probably 125 or so. Shot was a bit 1/4'ing away. Hit the back of leg, heart, and exited above the knee on the off side. The deer died because of the hole in his heart, but the bulled didn't really expand much. Almost not at all.

It a Powerpoint bullet. At least that's what it says on the box.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 7x57 in factory guise is a nice accurate mildly kicking round that serves well for most deer hunting so no gripes there but it's like buying a new Corvette and disconnecting two spark plugs. Why shoot a 140 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS when 2800 FPS is easily arrived at?
Paul B.

I guess I don't view it as disconnecting two plugs in a V-8 as much as I do not having to run with the accelerator on the floor all the time. It certainly can be appropriate; I'm not sure it's always necessary. Having the ability to do so, however, is certainly nice.

By the way, I wonder if the 145-gr Power Point might not be a Speer HotCor. Dunno, but unless Winchester is making it themselves I believe Speer is the only other source for 145-grain bullets.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It a Powerpoint bullet. At least that's what it says on the box.
Paul B.

Well...I know that's what it says. I have heard several say it's a Speer Hot Core. But I'm not sure.

Last edited by tzone; 08/10/17.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
The 7x57 in factory guise is a nice accurate mildly kicking round that serves well for most deer hunting so no gripes there but it's like buying a new Corvette and disconnecting two spark plugs. Why shoot a 140 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS when 2800 FPS is easily arrived at?
Paul B.

I guess I don't view it as disconnecting two plugs in a V-8 as much as I do not having to run with the accelerator on the floor all the time. It certainly can be appropriate; I'm not sure it's always necessary. Having the ability to do so, however, is certainly nice.

By the way, I wonder if the 145-gr Power Point might not be a Speer HotCor. Dunno, but unless Winchester is making it themselves I believe Speer is the only other source for 145-grain bullets.

Exactly what I've heard, but really don't know for sure. It shoots pretty good in the gun, I know that. Better than any other factory stuff anyway.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I shot a box and a 1/2 of Winchester 145gr to get some brass yesterday. I have enough to try a few loads right now.

I had 5 rounds loaded with Hornady 154gr RN bullet, and 44.5grs of IMR 4350 (0.5gr below max). It liked that load quite well. I'm going to play with that bullet and powder and see what I get. I'll try some 120gr NBT's as well with Varget.

Last edited by tzone; 08/14/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For me, the 7x57 is easy to load and shoot and it does an excellent job on deer, antelope and elk.

I did plan on using a 140 grain bullet for deer and antelope and a 160 for elk. One year I forgot to bring the 160's for a Wyoming deer, antelope and elk hunt so I was stuck with the 140gr partition for elk. But it took down a bull elk at about 160 yards with a single shot. The bullet pierced both lungs and the elk dropped after moving about 30 yards.

It's generally pretty hard to find a hunter who has used the 7x57 and did not like it. But is does require that the ammo be hand loaded to get the maximum velocity from it.

God bless the 7x57!

Steve

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I shot some more yesterday with Remington Core lokts in 140gr to get some brass. It liked them quite a bit. It liked them so much that I sighted it in at 100 with them.

I also shot at 300, which was the first time I've done that. It seemed to be about 12" low. Does that sound about right?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here you go, Tom

JBM online Calcs

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I shot some more yesterday with Remington Core lokts in 140gr to get some brass. It liked them quite a bit. It liked them so much that I sighted it in at 100 with them.

I also shot at 300, which was the first time I've done that. It seemed to be about 12" low. Does that sound about right?

Does sighted in at 100 mean dead zero there? If so, then 12" drop at 300 yards is roughly 4 moa. That's shooting a bit flatter than plugging Remington's claimed mv into Hornady's online calculator indicates.

Last edited by mathman; 08/21/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When you went to 300 how many shots did you fire? The more shots the merrier for establishing a good estimate of the group center and hence the real drop.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What Mathman said. Particularly if that was your first time at 300 and not just the first time for the rifle. The first time I sighted in a rifle at 300, my performance was pretty appalling. Distance (and fly-weight rifles) will reveal some shooting habits that aren't disclosed at 100 yards...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mathman

Does sighted in at 100 mean dead zero there? If so, then 12" drop at 300 yards is roughly 4 moa. That's shooting a bit flatter than plugging Remington's claimed mv into Hornady's online calculator indicates.

Yes. I should have clarified that. It's sighted it, to be dead on at 100 yards.

I don't see very well, so shooting that far isn't something I do often. I had the range to myself, so I tried it in case I was going to embarrass myself. laugh I was using a Leupold VX-1 2-7, if that matters at all. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mathman
When you went to 300 how many shots did you fire? The more shots the merrier for establishing a good estimate of the group center and hence the real drop.

I shot two with this rifle. They both hit the bottom of the target, just punching the edge of the bottom of the paper.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tomk
What Mathman said. Particularly if that was your first time at 300 and not just the first time for the rifle. The first time I sighted in a rifle at 300, my performance was pretty appalling. Distance (and fly-weight rifles) will reveal some shooting habits that aren't disclosed at 100 yards...:)

It was my first time ever. Not just with this rifle. I also shot at that distance shortly after with my new M70 Extreme Weather in 30-06. That shot a bit flatter but not much. 3/4-1" maybe. I did site that dead on at 100 as well because it has a CDS Reticle in the VX-2 3-9 x 40.

It made 200 a lot easier. 200 was the furthest I've shot before yesterday. 100 seemed like a chip shot after that. I'll be doing more of it for sure!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
7x is plenty for good shooting with a big game rifle at 300 yards. For range testing it really helps to make a target that is easy to line up with the reticle/magnification/distance combination in play.

With a correctly proportioned target I've shot well below moa at 300 yards with a scope whose actual magnification tops out at 3.9x. The little straight tube Leupold looks kind of funny sitting on a rifle sporting a 27" #7 contour barrel, but the combination does make a point at the range when I'm talking to folks who think you need 14x or more to take deer at 300 yards. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't need a big scope to take deer out that far. But it would be nice to see the squares on the target. I'll shoot some more out that far and work on it.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 19 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.