Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Out of curriosity, I went out in the shop and ran a new W/W .270 case thru my .240 Wby Bonanza Benchrest FL resizer. I greased the case up good with Imperial die wax and it still took a bunch of muscle power to make it happen. I was using the Redding Big Boss and I had to "man handle" it to get it done. No matter how hard I cammed the big press for max penetration into the die, I couldn't get the "belt" sized small enough to chamber in the rifle. The case diameter ahead of the belt was fine but the belt was slightly too long. The new round was too long and would need to be trimmed.

To get the belt pushed back enough to work, one would have to get thinner shell holders or cut some off the bottom of a sizing die to squeeze the round in far enough to swage the belt back another .005", or so. The formed case had a rim of pealed brass on the leading edge of the belt that had to be ground off. Even if it fit the gun, it's a crude looking piece of work. I'd post a photo, but no one would be impressed.

Way too radical and crude an operation, even for me. I'll gladly pay the price for Norma .240 cases. Making .257 Wby brass from 7mm Rem Mag is OK, this operation isn't. Saving money is one thing; forming .240 Wby brass from other cases is not a viable or practical option. IMHO.

FWIW,

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big Redhead,

I tried it because Jim Carmichel tried it, and reported that the cases came out of the .240 die looking perfect, or something like that. I'm sure the exact quote could be located somewhere in my collection of Carmichel writings, but I ain't gonna bother.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read some good things about the .257 WBY. It might be worth a look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MD and all

I wasn't trying to put anyone down. I just think trying to form a belted case from a non-belted case won't work worth beans. Think about what you would end up with. The "belt" would be formed by the bottom part of the case body folded inward at a right angle and laying against the inner-top surface of the case head. If the "belt" were in the correct location it might be made to fire, but holding up to anything like 60kPSI seems quite unlikely, even once.

Dirtfarmer, shortening a sizing die by removing material from the bottom would not make the base of the case go any deeper into the die. It would make the neck and shoulder go deeper, but not the base. However, a shorter (thinner?) shellholder would if the material was removed from the top of the shellholder.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Removing material from the top of the shell holder OR from the bottom of the sizing die, should allow the case to be pushed further into the sizing die, enough to swage the "belt" another few thousands of an inch shorter, such that the case would chamber. The neck and shoulder would have to take care of themselves on this first pass. Once the brass fits the chamber, then the next sizing wouldn't have to be so severe. One could set the shoulders back just enough for easy bolt closure and go from there. The belt's not critical to headspace, case just needs to fit in the chamber so the bolt will close.

I would probably remove metal from a designated shell holder. You can be sure I'm not going to be grinding on a Bonanza Benchrest FL sizing die!

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big Redhead,

I dunno about that. Cartridge brass is pretty flexible when new, and cases vary considerably in head "height."

Some people with .30 Newtons have fired belted brass in them for years. The case in front of the belt flattens out, which in theory should weaken the case. But so far as I know, nobody has died as a result.

All I know is that if I HADN'T tried to size an '06-based case in a .240 die, then some reader would have written in to the magazine, pointing out the error of my ways. You wouldn't believe how many nitpicking gun-magazine readers exist in the world. Or maybe you would.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I could make it work if I had to. I'm glad to say that I don't need to.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah. I'm just sorry some other gun writer tried it, so the rest of us had to.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just can't imagine why I'd ever spend the money on a .240 WBY over a 25/06, other than the oddity factor of the .240.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In my case, I just happened upon a used HS Precision SPL in .240 Wby. and bought it right. That led to working up loads, etc. I've owned a 25-06 in the past and it was a great rifle, but I traded it for something I thought I wanted more, can't even remember what.

The quarter bore is probably more versatile, but I'm enjoying this .240 Wby. The .240 should do well as a Pronghorn, Whitetail and hog killing machine. For bigger, meaner stuff, I've got firepower to cover about any possibility one could imagine, so this rifle doesn't have do anything other than what it was designed to do.

And, as you well know, with us gun nuts, it doesn't have to make sense... laugh laugh laugh

DF

IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
I just can't imagine why I'd ever spend the money on a .240 WBY over a 25/06, other than the oddity factor of the .240.

The oddity factor is the exact reason I'm gonna buy a Vanguard S2 .240 Weatherby, when they're available. No other reason to, as I have a 6mm, a .243, a .25-06, and a .257 Weatherby.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by BarryC

The oddity factor is the exact reason I'm gonna buy a Vanguard S2 .240 Weatherby, when they're available. No other reason to, as I have a 6mm, a .243, a .25-06, and a .257 Weatherby.

See, I told you. You have a problem..............Not enough guns grin laugh whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enough guns? Is that possible?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Enough guns? Is that possible?

Nope. Like having too much money grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dang, I've got a project that's way too overdue. And it's kind of a combination of all of the above.

For lots of years, my favorite antelope round has been the .25-'06 and my gain-twist (11" to 9") Pac-Nor barrel shoots the 100Ballistic waaaay fast.

Anyway, I'm always willing to go faster, so a couple of years ago, I picked up one of those Remington 700 SPS Stainless Steel/Synthetic rifles that Sportsman's Warehouse had specially built. You know, the ones with the 26-inch barrel in .257 Weatherby. I've messed around with the rifle quite a bit ... actually, done everything but fire it grin I've floated the barrel, Marine-Texed the recoil lug recess and action and dicked with the new-fangled trigger (it's a dream @ 3-pounds). And I fitted it with Leupold QR bases and low-rings and mounted a Leupold 4.5-14 scope.

Then, I called Richard Beebe and he sent me just about every Redding die possible. Hey, the dies are Comp-everything and there's a full compliment of TiN-plated bushings for dealing with the neck-sizing.

I KNOW a guy can neck-down .264 or 7Mag cases, but in the interest of science I used some of my Cabela's VISA points and picked up 100 Weatherby-brand .257 Weatherby cases. This sincerely hurt my feelings, it's the first time in over twenty years that I've actually BOUGHT consumeable complents, but I have absolutely no contact at Weatherby, so I actually had to spend money for components ... horrors, horrors, horrors!!! gringringringrin

Anyway, actually BUYING cases, especially those unreal-expensive cases, sorta pissed me off. It is an impossible concept, a handloading writer actually BUYING cartridge cases. But I did.

I have lots of bullets; I'll center on the Nosler 100-grain Ballistic Tip and the Hornady 100-grain SP Interlocked. And I've got a decent supply of those, until I run out.

Powder? I'm thinking prolly IMR-7828 or thereabouts.

Anwyay, one of these fine days, I'll actually have to venture out to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club and shoot this gorgeous-looking rifle. Everything looks and feels perfect ... Hell, if looks could shoot, it's a half-incher right now. grin

Report to follow ... in a month or six.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Steve,

You got it bad, brother. Makes me feel a lot better about myself. smile

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm jealous. Nobody ever "gave" me reloading components, ever, whereas Steve complained about having to actually pay for a hundred cases - once. Life is good, eh brother Steve?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DZ-back in the days I ran a 257 Wby quite a bit and my normal day to day load was 7828 and 100 Horns. I used it here for all that moves from mice to elk and it did it's work quite well.

Tough combo to beat for most anything that moves in the ark.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I'm jealous. Nobody ever "gave" me reloading components, ever, whereas Steve complained about having to actually pay for a hundred cases - once. Life is good, eh brother Steve?

Yeah, life is very, very good.

Absolutely, I was laughing at myself the entire time. The industry has been wonderful to me and I was poking fun at myself. You never want to take me very seriously ... I surely DON'T grin

The .257 Weatherby, the way I have it set up, is gonna be a fun ride.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Yeah, life is very, very good.

Absolutely, I was laughing at myself the entire time. The industry has been wonderful to me and I was poking fun at myself. You never want to take me very seriously ... I surely DON'T grin

The .257 Weatherby, the way I have it set up, is gonna be a fun ride.

Steve

You have a new 257 Roy in the lineup, Steve-O?
cool

I would like to do another 270 Roy myself, but I have always had a thing for the 0.277" bore.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.