Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chas05
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by dogzapper

That's it. Twelve, actually.

I sincerely pray that you all totally enjoy the article. Please don't forget that my lot of RL-22 was slowwww and that the newer lots are considerably faster.

God Bless,

Steve

Dang it! A day late and a dollar short, again!

me three...sure hope that info gets posted...

I would really like a copy of Steve's article. Could one of the recipients of Steve's generosity please post a copy or PM me?

Thanks

GK

GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shortmag
Originally Posted by chas05
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by dogzapper

That's it. Twelve, actually.

I sincerely pray that you all totally enjoy the article. Please don't forget that my lot of RL-22 was slowwww and that the newer lots are considerably faster.

God Bless,

Steve

Dang it! A day late and a dollar short, again!

me three...sure hope that info gets posted...

I would really like a copy of Steve's article. Could one of the recipients of Steve's generosity please post a copy or PM me?

Thanks

GK

GK,

Ward sent me a pdf file containing my .25-'06 article. PM me with your e-mail and I'll attempt to send the pdf as an attachment. I'm computer challenged, but with your patience, we might just land the article in your e-mail.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Mike,

Do you shorten a regular FL sizing die to form .240 cases from 25-06 or similar?

What's the story on this lube?

DF

The base forming die is different, in that it only forms the body of the case and the belt.
I had a toolmaker friend copy an original that I think was branded "Hollywood Gunshop" from memory, this was some years ago now, both the rifle and die were sold.
Anhydrous wool fat is used as a drawing lubricant, it is signigicantly more slippery than products like Redding wax.
It is available here from any pharmacy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just ordered a belt swaging die from ch4d.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well done, did you have any luck finding the wool fat over there? it really makes a difference. Send me your email address if you need any more info on the forming process.

Last edited by Mike_A; 12/05/11.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Could someone email me a copy of Steve's 25-06 article? PM me and I will send over my email.

Thanks

Ted
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think the 240 weatherby is better than the 25-06 in part because the ballistics are really interesting if using a 24" barrel and using 90+ grain bullets.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
John,

You brought this old thread back to life.

As discussed on another thread, I did get a CH4D belt forming die and made $1.50 .240 Wby brass out of $.50 W/W 25-06 brass. It works pretty well and the formed cases shoot as well as the expensive ones. I'll post those photos again.

DF

Formed case on left next to a factory one. Hard to tell them apart.
[Linked Image]

Flat topped "shell holder" is platform for case being pushed into die. It takes some muscle, a compound leverage press, like this Redding Big Boss and plenty of Imperial Die Wax to make it work. The case is them backed out of the die with the punch and a blow or two from a heavy hammer.
[Linked Image]

Here's the CH4D set up. Funny thing about the nail. I called CH4D and told them their punch was too big and I had to make a punch out of a nail. After answering some questions, I had to admit trying to form cases with a FL .240 Wby die before I got their die and of course their punch wouldn't work. It was made for the .25-06 case BEFORE the case was run partially thru a .240 Wby die. Oh well. Now I know and the nail can be retired. Sorta embarrassing... blush Do the belt forming step, THEN the FL .240 Wby die... laugh
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF, I'd run a 95 BT into any deer to 500 yds if I had the dope worked out to drop one through vitals. No doubt the heavies hit harder way out.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, retained kinetic energy can drop off with light bullets at long range.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be inclined to get one of each.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I think the 240 weatherby is better than the 25-06 in part because the ballistics are really interesting if using a 24" barrel and using 90+ grain bullets.

This kind of caught my eye, could you or would you expound on this a bit?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've had both, still have the .240 Wby.

I think the 25-06 is actually the better round. It's more versatile and brass is less expensive. Yeah, I know, one can form .240 Wby brass from 25-06 cases. But, that's a lot of trouble.

The 25-06 will shoot light bullets very fast, like the .240 Wby. It will also shoot heavier bullets that, IMHO, are better projectiles for whitetails, etc. It's a better all around caliber.

You need to read the Layne Simpson piece on the Whitetail outfitter who kept detail records of deer kills over a number of years. This man had nearly 500 Whitetail kills in his log and .25's were the champ regarding DRT's and distance traveled after a hit.

And I no longer own a quarter bore... blush

DF

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Thx
Dober

Simply, that I can get a 240 Weatherby to shoot a 105 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.532) to about 3350FPS while I can get a 25-06 Rem to shoot a 115 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.466)to shoot about 3150FPS. Ballistics, at least based on above favor the 240 Weatherby. Is that not the case?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see where you're going, I saw the 90 grain part and didn't go to the heavies for them.

How long of tube are you running and how much of what to get that 105 to 3350? Gotta be plenty of both.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you're even considering a quarter bore, forget both candidates and take a hard look at .257 Wby.

Once you go to the dark side, there's no coming back. smile

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I see where you're going, I saw the 90 grain part and didn't go to the heavies for them.

How long of tube are you running and how much of what to get that 105 to 3350? Gotta be plenty of both.

Dober
It's not mine, it's a standard Weatherby 26" with CPCartridge handloaded ammo. They claimed 3400 FPS but he actually got about 3338 FPS IIRC.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uffda, that's plenty darn hot. I'd be willing to bet that primer pockets are opening up pretty well around 2-3 firings.

Thx
Dober

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Thx
Dober

Simply, that I can get a 240 Weatherby to shoot a 105 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.532) to about 3350FPS while I can get a 25-06 Rem to shoot a 115 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.466)to shoot about 3150FPS. Ballistics, at least based on above favor the 240 Weatherby. Is that not the case?

John,

What kinda accuracy are you getting with the 105 VLD in your .240? My .240 does good with 90's, but seems to shoot its best groups with 80's and 85's.

The 105 VLD's sound interesting, should give the .240 a more effective long range capacity. What load?

DF

Edited to add, my gun, an HS Precision SPL, has a std. 10 twist and I doubt it would perform at its best with 105's. Doesn't Berger recommends an 8 twist for their 105's?

And, technically a larger bore with the same powder capacity (the .240 is a squeezed down 25-06 and has slightly less capacity) should shoot the same wt. bullet slightly faster. It has to do with greater total force at the same PSI on a larger bullet due to larger surface.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/14/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
John,

You brought this old thread back to life.

As discussed on another thread, I did get a CH4D belt forming die and made $1.50 .240 Wby brass out of $.50 W/W 25-06 brass. It works pretty well and the formed cases shoot as well as the expensive ones. I'll post those photos again.

DF

Formed case on left next to a factory one. Hard to tell them apart.
[Linked Image]

Flat topped "shell holder" is platform for case being pushed into die. It takes some muscle, a compound leverage press, like this Redding Big Boss and plenty of Imperial Die Wax to make it work. The case is them backed out of the die with the punch and a blow or two from a heavy hammer.
[Linked Image]

Here's the CH4D set up. Funny thing about the nail. I called CH4D and told them their punch was too big and I had to make a punch out of a nail. After answering some questions, I had to admit trying to form cases with a FL .240 Wby die before I got their die and of course their punch wouldn't work. It was made for the .25-06 case BEFORE the case was run partially thru a .240 Wby die. Oh well. Now I know and the nail can be retired. Sorta embarrassing... blush Do the belt forming step, THEN the FL .240 Wby die... laugh
[Linked Image]

Good to see, did you try the wool fat, it considerably reduces the effort required compared to wax

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,341 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.