Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have read and heard lots of good things about both cartridges. I'm also looking to buy another rifle :)I already have a 270 Win and 300 win mag that I love and they will be my primary for most deer/Pronghorn. I'm just looking for a dual varmint and deer rifle.

I would prefer to stick with a 24" barrel (rebarrel) a Model 70 for this job.

Which do you prefer and what bullets would you use?

I would be mainly using this rifle for long-range coyotes, maybe some California Blacktails, some mule deer, and an occassional Pronghorn or light gun for Africa (think: Springbok, Impala, Mountain Reedbuck...).

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With what you already have I would go with the 240. It would give a little bigger gap than you get between the 25/06 and 270. plus you could accidentally resize a 270 case to 25/06 and realy have a problem loading a case with a 270 headstamp that is not a 270 bullet. Just my $.02 ymmv.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go with the 25 and a barrel fast enough to spin the VLD's and a 24" barrel. You'll have a wider variety of bullets with the 240 though.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had one, but the 240 sounds like fun to me.

`Bring Enough Gun`
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do you reload? If so, sounds like you're trying to justify buying a Weatherlee! Otherwise, if you don't reload, why do you want to spend the kind of jack that'd be necessary to feed that weatherlee? grin

OTOH, if you want a weatherlee, why not forego the .240 for a .257 - that'll make your .270 look slow!

But to toss a further wrench into the discussion ..... in a quarter bore a .250 Savage, .250Sav A.I. or .257Bob or .257Rbts A.I. are ALL sweet sage goat getters. smirk grin

Of course your .270 ought to be a heckuva pronghorn riffle as well.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Weatherby Ultralight with the 6 lug action in 240 Weatherby is a nice carry rifle and the reports I hear are that they shoot well also. I loaded for one in a 9 lug lefthand action. Norma brass is expensive some of it developed case neck splits on the 1st and 2nd firings. It obviously had some issues in quality back then. It liked 100 gr Horn SP's and then I had to try 85 gr Barnes XLC's which would copper foul the barrel to patterns by 15 rds.That effectively made me stop using them period.
The 25-06 has a proven track record everywhere on many different uses and even Wallyworld carries the ammo at a decent price. Any action you have that were chambered for 270-30-06 will work as a donor action without magazine work,can the same be said of the 240 Wthby mag? Magnum Man

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Ultra Lightweight Mark V is a VERY nice hunting rifle. My .240 weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces with a 6x36 Leupold in Talley Lightweight rings, aqnd shoots very well with either handloads or factory. I haven't had any issues with the recent brass, and loads are very easily developed. The big game load I'm using now shoots into 3/4" or less with the 90-grain Nosler E-Tip at 3400+.

That said, I have two .25-06's and would suggest that it's more practical--and also available in the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight. It is pretty close to the .270, but with a wider selection of varmint bullets on the low end. Brass is of course cheaper and more widely available.

Years ago some gun writer mentioned running .25-06 brass into a .240 die, and having the case come out perfectly, right down to the belt. I tried it and the reformed case looked perfect, but wouldn't chamber in my Ultra Lightweight, even though the reforming was done on a Redding Ultra Mag press.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Years ago some gun writer mentioned running .25-06 brass into a .240 die, and having the case come out perfectly, right down to the belt. I tried it and the reformed case looked perfect, but wouldn't chamber in my Ultra Lightweight, even though the reforming was done on a Redding Ultra Mag press.

John,

I had seen that, too. I haven't tried it, although I did make .257 Wby brass out of 7mm Rem Mag Winchester brass. Cases were just a tad short, but they worked OK.

With the .240's I was a bit concerned about the belt and if sizing the case that much may create a weakness where the case body meets the base/belt. If your newly formed cases looked perfect, where do you think the problem was?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The slight angle on the front of the new belt.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You're just funnin', right? You really wouldn't do that chit.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

You're just funnin', right? You really wouldn't do that chit.

Honest answer to an honest question. Yes, some do try to make dollar and a half Wby rounds from fifty cent non-Wby brass. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

Forming .257 Wby from 7mm Rem Mag or similar is easy. The .240 Wby is more of a challenge. Although the base is '06 diameter, the case body has a smaller diameter, starting at the step down ahead of the belt.

Sizing non belted cases into belted brass is a challenge and JB is stating that the limiting factor is the leading area ahead of the belt where the sizing die, evidently, can't adequately size that part of the case. I was concerned about weakening the case with that much re-shaping at the case wall/base or belt junction.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never heard of such a thing, forming belted cases from non-belted. Sounds hokey to me.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's been published, discussed. JB didn't dream it up.

There may be something on line from a word search. I haven't tried it but wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something posted.

DF

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

There may be something on line from a word search. I haven't tried it but wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something posted.

DF

Schit, if it's been published, it's a FACT, then gringringrin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go 6mm Remington and you won't go anyplace else looking for the perfect deer, antelope, coyote gun!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i remember reading where jim carmichel did this very thing in an article he wrote on the 240 wby mag. if i recall, that article was written around about 1973, and i think he used gi 30-06 brass...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Schit, if it's been published, it's a FACT, then gringringrin

Steve

Doesn't make it good, just means it's been thought of and tried before.

I'm going to stay with factory brass. I'm not that hard up, yet... cool

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
6-06AI and make life easy on yourself, twisted 8.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I've always thought that a 6-06 or AI would work nicely on a Springfield action w/ an 8 or faster twist...

What could that NOT kill??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once upon a time I tried to form 240 cases out of 06 cases and it didn't work for me.

I've been running a 6/06 for a long time now and that's the way I'd fly again. Next time I'll go with a quick twist so I can run the heavier Bergs.

Now if elk were on the menu on a consistent basis then I'd go with the 25/06.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.