Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got a pile of these bullets in a blem sale. I tend to like heavier bullets for hunting, but I haven't tried these yet. I think I remember someone posting a while back that they got erratic terminal results with the Hornady 220gr RN, but I would not swear to it in court.

What has been your experience with this bullet on game from a 30-06? Do they seem to expand easily?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
BP-B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BR,

I always wanted to do this first..

I never shot 220 gr bullets out of a .30-06 but want to pontificate on it anyway...... blah, blah, and blah.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/09/11.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1B,

You did alright except for the "blah, blah, and blah" part. That is where you're supposed to conjure up some theoretical crap and really get your head stuck up in there. wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not Hornady,but Sierras, been shooting them for a long time. Never had problem with elk ,that is for sure. Killed another elk with one this year.

I imagine thecHornady will perform just like the Sierras

58 gr H4831 is what I load with them

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/09/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried them once and they were not as accurate as I wanted....so I went to another bullet.

This isn't a reflection of the bullet but my gun just didn't shoot them well.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
saddlesore,

Congrats on the elk. Couple questions:

Where (on the body) did you hit it?
Did the bullet exit?
How big (approx) was the exit hole?
Would you describe the wound channel as large with a lot of damage, or smaller with more localized damage?

I wanna try these Hornadys on whitetail just for grins, but I really don't want to put a pencil-sized hole through a deer and have him run off and not be found.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was one of my favorites while still hunting whitetails north of the iron range. They were pretty much the perfect bullet out of my 20" barreled carbine. If I jumped a deer I could take what ever shot was offerred, coming, goining or crossing and knew the bullet would make meat. Sold the rifle and a bunch of ammo to a bear hunter down near San Carlos, it was his favorite until being stolen.

I use a 35 Whelen with 250s or 375 Win with 250/255's now.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Redhead;
While I can't be certain if it was my experiences with the 220gr. Hornady you were thinking of, I'll repeat them for you.

I was shooting them out of a .308 Norma and my records show they were doing a fairly pedestrian 2615fps out of it, so not that awful far off of a hot '06 load.

The first test was an immature bull moose that ended up being quite close to 400lbs carcass weight. At about 125yds the bull took off for areas with less people around and was going a good clip when the first bullet nicked the right scapula, then broke a rib, tore a 4" hole through the upper lungs, broke another rib and then lodged in the left scapula.

While that rocked the bull visibly, he just shifted into another gear. I took up the chase and after a bit of a sprint fired another into him which raked through his liver, then through the lower part of the left lung and lodged in the ribs.

The combined bits of the first bullet weigh 110gr, with the largest portion weighing 89gr.

The second bullet weighs 126gr.

I see that I noted in my hunting notes that there was a lot of tissue damage but that I was a bit disappointed by the lack of penetration.

Then 10 days later I shot a first rack whitetail buck that went about 90lbs with the same bullet.

The shot was about 75yds and was a front on shot that hit the right sternum/spine joint area. My notes saying it then wrecked 3-4 ribs as well as travelling through the top of the lungs, then breaking 4 more ribs at the back of the left side.

It was one of the very few times in my hunting experience that an animal was physically spun nearly 180� when hit.

The interesting thing on this little buck though was that the recovered bullet core only weighs 58gr. I can't seem to find any indication that I found any of the jacket material, so it must have gone into the lungs or perhaps into the stomach.

Anyway on balance and based upon those two animals I ceased using that particular bullet. While I do concede that the tissue damage was impressive and both animals were recovered quite easily, I was as noted earlier, hoping for a bit more penetration out of them.

According to my notes I switched to 200gr Partitions for a bit in both the Norma and the '06 I had at the time. I didn't test them on a lot of game actually, but my notes indicate that on at least one whitetail buck they showed marked improvement as far as penetrating ability went.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. All the best to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,

Excellent write-up. That is EXACTLY the kind of information I am looking for. And the kind words at the end are just icing on the good cake. Thank you very much, and the same to you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Big Redhead. The elk I shot this year was hit at the base of the neck. It hit the spine dead center and did not exit.Elk did not move out of her bed.

Two years ago.I shot another cow in her bed. The bullet exited , I don't dig around looking at wound channels so I can't say. I also do the no gut method that leaves post of that destrcution unseen.

A few years ago, I killed two cow elk at about 350 yards with them and they both banged flopped.
Most elk I shot are double lungers and the bullet exits.

I load both 180 gr Game Kings and the 220 gr RN. The Game Kings are set 2 inches high at 100 yards and the same scope setting puts the RN dead on at 100. I see no differnce in accuracy in either when compared.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
saddlesore and BC30cal,

Are these experiences with Sierra bullets, or Hornady? I see that saddlesore typed Sierra in his post.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Redhead;
Thank you for the kind words sir, I do appreciate them.

My experience was with Hornady bullets, and if memory serves they would have been about 1999 vintage production or perhaps as late as 2001. In that time frame anyway.

I only note that because there was some discussion earlier this year regarding Hornady moving the position of the Interlock ring on their 180gr .308" Spires on the latest production bullets.

Please note I have no knowledge whatsoever if they've done anything to the 220gr.

Lest someone feel that I am in any way, shape or form anti-Hornady, I'd like to say that isn't so in the least.

The last three bucks I've shot died using their GMX bullets and my family and I have had wonderful luck with a wide variety of Interlock bullets - oh and one buck with an Interbond as well. As I've stated many times in the past, there are a lot of red boxes underneath my loading bench. wink

Hopefully that clarifies my information for you sir. Again all the best to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used the Hornady from the 308 Norma at 2780 fps muzzle velocity and from a 30/40 Krag at 2335 fps (not a Krag rifle). With the Norma, I shot a mule deer buck at a range of about 65 yards, quartering away. The bullet broke four ribs on the near side, angled forward and broke four more on the off side and lodged under the skin at the base of the neck. The deer ran about 30 yards and collapsed just as I was about to give him another.
An interesting kill with the same load was a coyote which was running straight away at about 200 yards. At the shot, the coyote tumbled and lay still. There was no apparent hole in the coyote but closer inspection showed the bullet had exited alongside the lower jaw. The point of entry was at the other end of the coyote.
From the 30/40, the bullet accounted for an elk and several whitetail deer. All were inside 70 yards. All were one shot kills. Penetration clear through on the deer and under the hide on the elk.
My feeling is the the bullets work best when muzzle velocity is under 2500 fps. In fact, impact velocities of around 1800 are probably where the bullet works best.
In my experience, the Sierra is a bit tougher and shoots a bit better although both bullets are sub-moa performers from the 308 Norma. I now use the Hornady in the 30/40 only. I figure there are better bullets for the Norma. GD

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use the Sierra.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great info, greydog. Again, just what I was looking for. Thanks.

My fear was that the Hornady bullet was too tough to expand much on animals the size of deer. From the info on this thread that does not seem to be the case. So, then, I am going to load some of these things this weekend and sight them at 200 from my Ruger M77 MkII with the good Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 on it. So far this year the deer have been sitting in the brush just out of range laughing at me with my puny little stick and string in hand. I can hear them. wink Just wait till they catch one of these lumbering 220 RNs from the Ruger. We'll see who laughs then. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
While hunting in Germany in January this year, I shot a fawn roe deer at about 80 meters with the 220 gr. Hornady in a Hornady factory load with a 30-06. Broadside double lung shot. The bullet expanded well and exited ( no surprise!). The deer ran about 5 meters. Carcass weight was 11 KG ( about 25 lbs.) My German host used this bullet for small deer because it expanded well and still did not ruin much meat on small deer. I was surprised that it expanded at all with such light resistance. I would hesitate to use it on moose or grizzlies, what I thought that bullet was for.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A big bullet that does a lot of damage. Not much to complain about.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Over about 60 years, one of my uncles used nothing lighter than a 220 (or 200 gr bullet, depending on brand & availlability) for hunting everything in Montana, I believe he probably shot in the neighborhood of 100 elk (statute of limitations long passed, as has Al, but he kept the whole family in elk meat). He may have switched to Nosler or Speer as the boys started handloading, but "Dad's Old Enfield" still goes hunting every year on his birthday.
MC

marty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why a heavy bullet as that a deer shot with a 130 or 120 gre bullet just as dead used 150 no problems but then never shot a elk or moose ,but lots of deer with a 250- savage ,a 270 ,25-06 30-30 an lots more

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by savage62
Why a heavy bullet as that a deer shot with a 130 or 120 gre bullet just as dead used 150 no problems but then never shot a elk or moose ,but lots of deer with a 250- savage ,a 270 ,25-06 30-30 an lots more

Because IME, heavy cup-n-core bullets at moderate velocity are more reliable than lightweight cup-n-core bullets at high velocity.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.