Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
I recently picked up a Rare Bird. I was in one of our local guns shops and spotted a neat mauser action rifle and asked to see it. My suspicions were spot on, as it was Indeed a Rare H&R rifle Imported by Sako. These rifles were made in the early 1960's time span and sent to H&R The trigger and actions are made by Sako and the barrels were made by Douglas custom barrels. The stocks were [bleep] and checkered at the H&R Factory by some in house older woman there. The Triiger assembly is fully adjstable for creep and pull and is stamped Made in Finland. There were very few of these made and in my 35 Plus years of gun shows from the East to West coast and after going though hundrededs of Gun shops I have only seen one other like this. This one is chambered in .308 Winchester and it is a pure tack driver as shown with the sight in Target I shot at the 100 Yard line yesterday with it. The final hits were Four in the Ten ring smaller than a dime using some Basic Federal Power shock factory ammo. I can't wait to start hand loading for this after seeing what it would do with just factory ammo. I will be taking it afield this weekend for our opener of Our Gun season for Deer...Regards, TheGeneral

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
General-

With all due respect... I see by your photos that your rifle is stamped FN-Made in Belgium! I'm wondering when SAKO made actions in Belgium?

Does yours have the stamp on the top of the chamber: H&R with the silhouette of a lion?

I also own one in .308 Win. Mine is also stamped "308 Win - UltraRifled on the right side of the barrel. And the same stamp as yours on the left side: Harrington and Richardson, Inc. Ultra Bolt Action .

Mine is stamped on the action: Fab Nat. D'Armes De Gurre Herstal-Belgique . I recently sold an identical one in .30-06...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
General-

With all due respect... I see by your photos that your rifle is stamped FN-Made in Belgium! I'm wondering when SAKO made actions in Belgium?

Does yours have the stamp on the top of the chamber: H&R with the silhouette of a lion?

I also own one in .308 Win. Mine is also stamped "308 Win - UltraRifled on the right side of the barrel. And the same stamp as yours on the left side: Harrington and Richardson, Inc. Ultra Bolt Action .

Mine is stamped on the action: Fab Nat. D'Armes De Gurre Herstal-Belgique . I recently sold an identical one in .30-06...

Grasshopper

Hello Grasshopper
Good Eye you have there. Yes, I have the H&R stamp on top of the action with the Lion but our gun's are from a different time span, let me explain here...I was recently contacted by a former sales employee of H&R that worked there when they made up and sold these and here is what he had to say about them. This should clear up any questions you may have and I suspect yours is the second edition H&R that he speaks of.There is No Stamp Fab Nat. D'Armes De Gurre Herstal-Belgique she is a True Sako. Regards, TheGeneral

I worked for H&R back in the early to late 1960's time span when they made up and Marketed these rifles. I can tell you that Your Ultra sounds like it was one of the rifles built on a Sako (Made in Finland - push feed) action. H&R bought the actions, used Fajen stocks (farmed out checkering to a couple of local ladies) and used Douglas custom Pencil style sporter barrels. I had a Sako Ultra Mannlicher-stocked 7 mm Remington Magnum on loan from the factory. Handsome gun if you like the extreme stock styling. Dumb chambering - gun was a 20" carbine. Loud as hell! Shortly before I started working for them, the deal with Sako for the actions fell through, and H&R started using the Yugoslavian Zavasta Mauser ( true '98 actions.) Your gun is far superior, at least as far as the action is concencerned. All these guns were virtually custom made at H&R, and total production of all Ultras was very low. They were built in small batches and usually sat in inventory until an order came in. Personally never cared for the styling of the wood, and in 1980 - I think - they came out with an additional "Classic" model. These guns didn't last long because H&R went belly up in the early 80's. Hope this is of some help.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
General, no disrespect, but, your rifle is indeed built on a commercial FN (Belgian Made) CONTROL feed action. Not a SAKO pushfeed action.

It is a very fine piece. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rojelio
General, no disrespect, but, your rifle is indeed built on a commercial FN (Belgian Made) CONTROL feed action. Not a SAKO pushfeed action.

It is a very fine piece. Thanks for sharing.

Well Far it from me to be an Expert here, but I took the words of the main sales agent for H&R above that I quoted with to be true....TheGeneral.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gen., I don't care what anyone says you found a real SLEEPER. That gun looks to be mint... Very nice gun you got your hands on.The blue is nicer then most guns of today, someone took lots of pride in the workmanship. The stock is fine also. Bless those ol ladies hearts on the ckeckerin. Today it would be 2 8yr. olds from who knows where. H&R made some quality guns with good steel and stock work. I can't remember but my first gun was a single shot 16ga. either H&R or Iver Johnson my dad gave. Hunted everything with it. Anyways you got yourself a fine rifle, Good Luck....later

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BandGHunter
Gen., I don't care what anyone says you found a real SLEEPER. That gun looks to be mint... Very nice gun you got your hands on.The blue is nicer then most guns of today, someone took lots of pride in the workmanship. The stock is fine also. Bless those ol ladies hearts on the ckeckerin. Today it would be 2 8yr. olds from who knows where. H&R made some quality guns with good steel and stock work. I can't remember but my first gun was a single shot 16ga. either H&R or Iver Johnson my dad gave. Hunted everything with it. Anyways you got yourself a fine rifle, Good Luck....later

Hello Bandhunter
I certainly Appreciate your kind words. I am not here to have a Pissin Match over what's what with this rifle I do Know it shoots and is a custom made low production piece of day's gone by. Yesterday I was shooting next to a guy with one of the New Remingtons and he was so Taken with my gun I asked if he would like to fire it ? He took it into his Lead sled and fired off a round and looked like a Deer in the headlights when the report was heard afterward's. I asked him what was wrong, and he said he was hardly ready for it to go off. I shared with him that I Like Light triggers and this gun has a fully adjustable trigger of which I adjusted to around 2 Pounds before coming that day. He shook his head and said it was sad to see what Pure Garbage we were manufacturing here in the states any more, with The Lawers involved and the Manufacturing companies attitude of getting the day's production figures at an all time high, He was even more sick when I told him what I had paid for this rifle as it was far less than he had in his Remington...It seems any more no Matter what we pick up to purchase, that it has been branded "Made in China". This rifle is an example of day's gone by when we Americans demanded nothing but the very best for our hunting Purposes... and that is why it came home with me.... Regards, TheGeneral

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I posted this on the other forum about this rifle. Very fine rifle but definitely an FN Mauser action. Be proud of it and enjoy your purchase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! Sweet rifle!

Sako did ship actions to FN that Browning used (short actions) because Browning only used long actions at the time. This action is a FN action, not made by Sako. Sako never made actions in Belgium, only sent em there.

Don't know if H&R ever used Sako actions, or not. I do know Browning and Ithaca (another sleeper rifle to watch out for)did on their rifles.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by generalstuart
Hello
I recently picked up a Rare Bird. I was in one of our local guns shops and spotted a neat mauser action rifle and asked to see it. My suspicions were spot on, as it was Indeed a Rare H&R rifle Imported by Sako. These rifles were made in the early 1960's time span and sent to H&R The trigger and actions are made by Sako and the barrels were made by Douglas custom barrels. The stocks were [bleep] and checkered at the H&R Factory by some in house older woman there. The Triiger assembly is fully adjstable for creep and pull and is stamped Made in Finland. There were very few of these made and in my 35 Plus years of gun shows from the East to West coast and after going though hundrededs of Gun shops I have only seen one other like this. This one is chambered in .308 Winchester and it is a pure tack driver as shown with the sight in Target I shot at the 100 Yard line yesterday with it. The final hits were Four in the Ten ring smaller than a dime using some Basic Federal Power shock factory ammo. I can't wait to start hand loading for this after seeing what it would do with just factory ammo. I will be taking it afield this weekend for our opener of Our Gun season for Deer...Regards, TheGeneral

[Linked Image]

General,

Still meaning no disrespect.... smile But in your third photo... that YOU posted.... On the left side of the receiver it clearly shows "FN Made in Belgium". YOUR rifle and YOUR post was what I was referring to... smile Was I perhaps, the only one here who noticed this?

Or perhaps did you accidently post a pic of a different rifle?

Thus my question remains unanswered... grin

I'm NOT saying that H&R did not use Sako actions, because I do know that they did. If fact, all the ones I have seen (except one) were short actions with .222/.223 Rem based cartridges. I THINK they also made some in .243 Win and .308 Win. but have never actually seen one... But I have SEEN at least one in a long action. Not sure whether it was a .270 or .30/06..

GH

Last edited by Grasshopper; 11/18/11.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think there is some info missing above... and some that is wrong.

Sako never used Zavasta (sp) actions.

They did, however, use FN made Mauser actions in the 1950's before they started making their own large actions (they were making their small actions by then though).

If you take your rifle apart, I think you will find the trigger stamped Made in Finland.

Some of these rifles were imported to the USA from Finland, so it is easy to understand how there is some confusion about a rifle made in Finland using a Belgian action which was later exported to the US...

I tried to find a picture, but it is not great and looks like any other Mauser actioned rifle of the period -- it does not show the stamping or the left side of the rifle. You can, however read about Sako using FN actions HERE.

John

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jpb
I think there is some info missing above... and some that is wrong.

Sako never used Zavasta (sp) actions.

They did, however, use FN made Mauser actions in the 1950's before they started making their own large actions (they were making their small actions by then though).

If you take your rifle apart, I think you will find the trigger stamped Made in Finland.

Some of these rifles were imported to the USA from Finland, so it is easy to understand how there is some confusion about a rifle made in Finland using a Belgian action which was later exported to the US...

I tried to find a picture, but it is not great and looks like any other Mauser actioned rifle of the period -- it does not show the stamping or the left side of the rifle. You can, however read about Sako using FN actions HERE.

John

John,

I think I see where some of the confusion is coming from on this thread. I removed the stock from my rifle and it is indeed stamped "Finland" on the right side of the trigger partially concealed by the safety...

I was aware that SAKO used FN actions for rifles prior to building their own action... This is a real confusing subject. According to the Blue Book of Gun Values the H&R Ultra 300 rifles were built on FN actions from 1965-72, Sako actions (Presumably the L-61R) from 1973-'77, and Zastava (Mark X) actions from 1978-1983. (Harrington & Richardson ceased operations on Jan 24, 1986)

Also according to the BBofGV, Sako used FN Mauser long actions from 1951-1960. Sako intorduced their L-61R in 1962. Thus if the H&R "ULTRA" rifles were not built until 1965, why was SAKO furnishing H&R with FN actions? Unless they were merely using up leftover actions... shocked

Trust me, I'm NOT trying to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone, just merely trying to ascertain the true facts...

GH

Last edited by Grasshopper; 11/18/11.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grasshopper,

The use of the Zastava actions by Sako is news to me but I have read many of your posts -- and if you say so that is enough for me.

I live in Sweden where Sakos are common but I have only seen the old FN actions, never a Zastava. Maybe more (or all?) of the Zastavas made it to other markets than Scandinavia?

Interesting indeed -- and no worry about a pissing match. I try to post only on stuff that I actually know something about, but I can be wrong (just ask any of my ex-girlfriends!). wink

John

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jpb
Grasshopper,

I try to post only on stuff that I actually know something about, but I can be wrong (just ask any of my ex-girlfriends!). wink

John

grin laugh

John,

ALL of my ex-girlfriends think I was VERY wrong... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GeneralStuart and all,

I recently helped a good friend trade into a gorgeous little 223 rifle that looks a lot like the one in the pictures. It, too is a H&R Ultrarifle but has a SAKO L-461 action as its heart. Another real sweetie. H&R contracted with several companies over the years to make thier rifles and or actions and while the one in the photos is definately an FN Mauser (I have one of those myself) in my opinion that makes it a BETTER rifle than if it had a Sako action from that same era in that it is a Controlled round feed fixed ejector Belgian made unit that might be the best action ever milled by any factory anywhere at any time.

As to who made the barrel, trigger and other parts, I do not know but if this rifle were mine (wish it WAS!) I simply would not care. Regardless of where the components came from that is one of the nicest looking and best made factory rifles ever made, period. Congratulations on a wonderful find and on a terrific shooting rifle. May you get much blood on it in the days to come, and may you remeber me in your will! smile

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by generalstuart
I worked for H&R back in the early to late 1960's time span when they made up and Marketed these rifles. I can tell you that Your Ultra sounds like it was one of the rifles built on a Sako (Made in Finland - push feed) action.

As Safariman already pointed out this is a Controlled Round Feed action not a "push feed" action as stated by your expert. I'd send him pictures of your rifle from the angles you have taken. I'm sure he can tell you more about the rifle. From what I've been able to find out this morning doing research is that the trigger assembly and bottom metal could have came from Sako.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an FN action just like it, and it definately was made in Belgium.

The trigger on mine is made in Finland. I bought this action straight from Firearms International, one of the importers of these actions in the 50s and 60s.

Over the years, several companies imported these actions, and complete rifles. Firearms International was one company. ABU Garcia was another, and I think there were others. These same companies also imported complete Sako rifles and actions, and a line of double barreled shotguns. I think the shotguns were something called Zepther, or something like that.

I do know that FN used Sako triggers on the Supreme 400 FN action. That is what mine is. What I didn't know was that Sako used FN Belgium made Mauser on some of their rifles, as this one is. All Sako rifles I have seen used Sako actions. Firearms International also imported Sako actions to be used on custom guns.

During this time period, H&R, Sears, Roebuck, I think Ithica, and a company called Winslow, and Weatherby used FN actions actions before they developed their own.

I don't know if FN made the complete rifles for H&R, Sears, Ithica and others, or just sold the actions to these companies, who barreled and stocked the rifles, and sold them under their name.

IIRC, some of these same companies, (H&R), also marketed a line of rifles using the Sako actions. Actions like the Vixon, I think. I don't know if these were complete rifles made by Sako, from Sako parts, or if they were actions and triggers sold to companies like H&R, who finished the rifles.

To the best of my knowledge, Firearms International imported complete FN rifles chambered in .308 Norma and .358 Norma, the only factory rifles produced in these two calibers.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Hello Grasshopper
I looked at all of those rifle links you supplied and they all have a different looking bolt than mine. My Handle is flat faced on the top and the bolt looks far different than the ones in your response. I don't know what the Hell I have got, But I can tell you it shoots and shoots well. Now, My trigger is clearly stamed "Made in Finland" so I assume that is Sako ? The Made in Belgum stamp is there on the back side of the reciever but the lighter looking stamp ahead of it is The H&R Trade Mark stamp Not the FN stamp's shown on other actions. Hell, That all I know and it shoots wicked small groups with Factory Trash ammo & I can't want to start hand loading for it... TheGeneral

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The H&R Trade Mark stamp Not the FN stamp's shown on other actions.

General,

Thanks for clarifying that. After I took a 2nd look, I can see now that it's the H&R logo. blush I'll try to get a pic of the left side of my action soon, so you can see how mine differs from yours.

In response to 1-7: Firearms Int'l was not the only one to furnish rifles in .308 Norma and .358 Norms. I have seen Browning FN Safari's so chambered, and also the Voere 2165. I once owned a Voere 2165 in .308 Norma and also a Firearms Int'l "Muscateer" in .308 Norma.

GH

Last edited by Grasshopper; 11/18/11. Reason: typo... Oops!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.