Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sendero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Which sander would you guys recommend for recoil pad installation? I'm thinking I want a disc sander and being able to change grits from coarse to very smooth.

I've seen a few belt/disc combo's...is this the way to go?

Terry
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I used to use a small benchtop belt sander and if your careful it will work. Most of the time it was hit and miss with the thick pads. I now use a 12 inch disc sander. It also has a 6x48 belt on the other side. I will never go back. If you decide to go with a belt, use 1 1/2 or wider belt with coarse grit.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ditto on the 12 inch disc. However, I have two of them. One
has coarse grit and the other has fine grit. I didn't have
a good time changing grit so I bought the second one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the 12" disk method

S
Sendero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OK, thanks. I'm just getting into this. Every now and then I have a need to install a pad and right now need to install one on my Win. 70, my uncle's 1100 and my son's beretta.
I mentioned this at work and several of the guys need recoil pads installed..Hopefully I'll be up and running in a couple weeks or so.

Terry
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Build your own with a pillow block. This way you can have different grits on each side. Save changing back and forth. Also, you can change out the discs for muslin pads if you wish to polish. You will also be able to run different grits on each side with the pads.

The backers for the stick on sanding discs can be cut from masonite or aluminum. I use masonite as it is cheap, plentiful, and easy to work with.

If you are good at scrounging and making stuff, it is cheaper too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a gunsmith but I bought an elcheapo disc/belt sander combo from Harbor Frieght to grind down a recoil pad and not only did it work well for that I use it a lot for other misc. stuff. It's been extremely useful/handy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+3 on the 12" disc sander. I wouldn't think of doing it with anything else (except maybe the 24" disc sander I have in my shop). Indispensable for a lot of tasks.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I haven't yet fitted a recoil pad, I've done a lot of other woodworking, and can recommend the free-standing belt/disc sander. Mine is a very old Rockwell that I've had for decades. Bought it from Sydney Sabots when he sold out to US Sabots (Catalina Yachts). It is handy to use a very course belt, for rough shaping, and a less course disc for fine-tuning.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Sendero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by eclectic
Build your own with a pillow block. This way you can have different grits on each side. Save changing back and forth. Also, you can change out the discs for muslin pads if you wish to polish. You will also be able to run different grits on each side with the pads.

The backers for the stick on sanding discs can be cut from masonite or aluminum. I use masonite as it is cheap, plentiful, and easy to work with.

If you are good at scrounging and making stuff, it is cheaper too.

Not sure of what you mean with the pillow block. I am good at scrounging though and a friend is delivering a washing machine motor later today. Not sure if it will be at the correct rpm though....

I have a "how to install recoil pad" tape and one of the guys has nice sander that looks like it's on a grinder motor and mounted on some 3/4" plywood and I have a few pieces of that.

Terry
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sendero
Which sander would you guys recommend for recoil pad installation? I'm thinking I want a disc sander and being able to change grits from coarse to very smooth.

I've seen a few belt/disc combo's...is this the way to go?

I've got a Performax disc/belt combo.. I use the 8" disc with 60 grit to do the most pad work.. The belt can be changed the easiest and I've used grits from 80 - 400 on various jobs.. It's a huge improvement over the Craftsman unit I had earlier..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 12" Delta disc sander in my shop. If you use one be very careful as it is an eatin' machine. Be sure to practice on scrap before you use it on a project. First sander I bought was a 4" belt sander. Worked okay but I had a hard time getting things "square." No problem with the disc sander.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A pillow block is a shaft mounted on bearings and driven via a belt. The belt pulley can be sized to control speed. The motor is mounted away from the shaft allowing you more flexibility when polishing, The better the belt, the less vibration.

Check out Grizzley Tools for pillow blocks. A disc or pad can be mounted on each end of the shaft. My sander is driven by a furnace motor, and is mounted on a upright welded to a wheel full of concrete. I roll up the shop door and grind outside while standing up.

S
Sendero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks everyone....appreciate it.

eclectic, I see what you mean now. I saw a couple sanders on line with the pillow blocks...thx

Terry
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There's an outfit in MA that makes a truly pro grade 12" Disc Sander . It's named Rikon and sold by Sears and others ! I have had mine 2 years now and love it , rock solid piece of machinery . It's $200.00 but I'll never have to buy another one !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.