Print Thread
Hop To
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Haven't got my paws on it yet, but there's an M&P 40 headed my way with the Crimson Trace grips on it. Had my mind made up I didn't want that model, rather the one with the ambi thumb safety. But at the price it sold for, it's coming this way.

My question is this: Can a M&P that came from the factory without the ambi thumb safety be fitted with it after the fact? If so, I'd consider having it added to this pistol and just grinding off the right hand "ear" so that the grips didn't interfere.

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd recommend calling S&W to see if they can add one after the fact. If not, see if S&W offers that configuration from the factory (more and more safety models are coming out), then just sell yours, get the one you want, and swap your CTC Laser Grips.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why exactly do you need a thumb safety on a M&P? It's a pull, point, shoot gun, why complicate it with a thumb safety?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jstall
Why exactly do you need a thumb safety on a M&P? It's a pull, point, shoot gun, why complicate it with a thumb safety?

Agreed, it would be like adding t!ts to a bull.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
+1

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...why complicate it with a thumb safety?

What's so complicated? Flipping a lever? You guy act like you have to crack a safe during the draw. I like thumb safeties on everything.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
okay,
I like small block chevy V-8s with Distributors and carbs too.

But drive a Nissan injected V6.

To each his own.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does your Nissan have an emergency brake, or is that too complicated? wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by JOG

What's so complicated? Flipping a lever? You guy act like you have to crack a safe during the draw. I like thumb safeties on everything.
Why, don't you trust yourself?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Why, don't you trust yourself?

Actually, no I don't. I'm confident in my ability to keep my finger off the trigger, but I can't vouch for anything else. All my rifles have safeties, as do my shotguns, and most of my handguns.

Robert Frost
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Some folks like a safety on their gun since they work in places where if a bad guy were to get their gun it would be bad. A dirtbag friendly gun (no safety, just point and pull trigger) is less than desireable, moreso for some than others.

Last edited by pabucktail; 11/18/11.
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I'd recommend calling S&W to see if they can add one after the fact. If not, see if S&W offers that configuration from the factory (more and more safety models are coming out), then just sell yours, get the one you want, and swap your CTC Laser Grips.

Thanks for the response. S&W makes a model with the ambi thumb safety, hence the question. Once I get familiar with the pistol, I'll give them a call and see if it can be added. This will be my first centerfire semi-auto (other than the wife's LCP) and I must say the thought of carrying it with one in the chamber while pointed at some part of my body makes me a bit nervous. I've had revolvers my whole life and just trust them, having a 642 pointed at my junk while holstered doesn't bother me in the slightest...

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then neither should a Double Action Pistol. The safety ideas are the same on each i.e. long stiff trigger pull. If it were mine, I would leave it as is. I have owned and carried quite a few autopistols with no external safety including guns by KAHR, Kel Tech (several) and others.

But, if it makes you feel better, add the safety and then train with it from pocket to fireing. My daily carry 1911 (Colt Delta Elite 10mm) obviously has an external safety and I see it as no hindrance.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

Some us who have had some pretty intensive handgun training and carry them for a living have learned not to complicate things that are unnecessary to complicate. The KISS principle applies here.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 70 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.