Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
They learned about firepower, but also primarily that the old LE standard of taking cover and returning fire against a highly offensive, military style, mobile opponent was a good way to get dead.

The FBI knew this but just got fat and lazy and forgot the lessons the mobile heavily armed gangsters of the 1920's & 1930's taught them through hard lessons. Experienced hard nosed lawmen with gunfighting experience were called in to combat the equally hard nosed gangsters. The Federal Agents were also heavily armed with the likes of Thompsons, BAR's, Gov't Model .45's and .38 Supers, S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty revolvers and at some point the new S&W .357 Magnum. Complacency will get you killed.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Didnt they make a movie about this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Michael Lee Platt: 6'0" - 173 lbs.
U.S. Army (#526087944) from 27 June 1972-1 May 1979
Honorable Discharge; E-6
Airborne Ranger trained at Fort Campbell: 9/73-5/75
Also served in M.P. Unit there with Matix. Service notation includes "High Combat Proficiency."
MOS: 11B10, 11B20, 11B30
William Russell Matix: 6'1" - 147 lbs.
Marine Corps (#2578943) from 7 October 1969-7 July 1972. Honorable Discharge; E-5
U.S. Army (#2578943) from 10 August 1973-9 August 1976. Honorable Discharge; E-5
MOS: Military Police, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

L.W.

For those unfamiliar with such, MOS 11B is Light Weapons, Infantry, i.e. your basic combat rifleman.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
They was some salty old boys, anyway you cut it, eh Leanwolf?

My take on this and the FBI in general is that they hire ivory tower college folks who haven't a clue about who they're stalking. They then try to get super-scientific with computer printouts and suchlike, when they could just hire the people they so disdain in the first place and save a lot of time. Hiring people who know the quarry they are stalking and whose proficiency with weapons is inherent rather than solely by training, would go a longer ways toward eliminating future occurrences than would gadgetry and more college boys.

That's why such agencies as FBI, DEA, USMS, have local LEO's assigned to criminal taskforces within the the agencies operating areas. It's because the local LEO's know the people and the area better then the Fed's.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

For those unfamiliar with such, MOS 11B is Light Weapons, Infantry, i.e. your basic combat rifleman.

Otherwise known as 11 Bang! Bang!

Last edited by GlockinBob; 11/22/11.

Glockin' Bob
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson
"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
Didnt they make a movie about this?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095366/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunter1960
They was some salty old boys, anyway you cut it, eh Leanwolf?

My take on this and the FBI in general is that they hire ivory tower college folks who haven't a clue about who they're stalking. They then try to get super-scientific with computer printouts and suchlike, when they could just hire the people they so disdain in the first place and save a lot of time. Hiring people who know the quarry they are stalking and whose proficiency with weapons is inherent rather than solely by training, would go a longer ways toward eliminating future occurrences than would gadgetry and more college boys.

That's why such agencies as FBI, DEA, USMS, have local LEO's assigned to criminal taskforces within the the agencies operating areas. It's because the local LEO's know the people and the area better then the Fed's.
They had some impressive resumes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tactics were to blame and the FBI had a chance to upgrade their weapons prior to trying to apprehend these too. I believe from the reports that the 9mm a silvertip penetrated to the heart but did not cause enough damage? Its been some time since I reviewed the facts of the case but it was a cluster&*(^ from the get go!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
someone mentioned this shootout with FBI agents in another thread so I looked it up. I was too young to have even remembered it happening. apparently it lead to alot of changes at the FBI and eventually likely led to the 40 S&W. however it looks to me like the problems the FBI had was more due to poor hits on the bad guys than a problem with the cartridge being used. I could see most of the blame being put on shooting revolvers over double stack 9mm's. double stack semi autos may have closed the gap of poor hits and another shot or 2 could have found their mark.

if the first hit that stopped right before the heart would have been a 40 S&W would even that have penetrated far enough?? is the 40 a better penetrater than the 9mm?? the 9mm that was fired went through the guys arm, into the chest from the side and stopped just short of the heart, but was still a fatal shot from hitting the lung. this doesn't sound like a problem with the 9mm. It was just a tuff shot angle for the 9mm to get the job done, or perhaps any pistol round for that matter. why were all the FBI guys shooting 38 spl in their 357's. what are your conclusions about what the FBI got right or wrong about the aftermath??

You need to get a copy of this and read it

[Linked Image]

I totally disagree with your assertion that poor shooting was the problem and so do the involved agents, lack of penetration with the shot angles and barriers were at fault and that is clear IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought this was a pretty good internet read on the event, I have not fact checked so don't jump down my throat if you find a mistake.

http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86.html

The attached photos so some tactical positioning but still the wrong weapons and tactics. It seems that the 8:2 odds may have given the Agents some sense of complacency.

http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86-pix.html

This police response was developed after this...

[Linked Image]

Or this one, it would be good on the Walking Dead TV show...
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Beyond ballistics, the tactics and complacency is what did them in. Knowing they were looking for skilled, rifle armed opponents, they had hard armor but it was left in the trunk, their only long guns were shotguns with #4 buckshot (IIRC) and at least one learned the hard way that having your gun sitting on your seat in a collision is a good way to be unarmed when you need it. The best shooter was almost useless when he lost his perscription glasses.

As someone mentioned above, the FBI do not handle this kind of stuff on a regular basis, it is better to think of them as lawyers with guns. I say this after working with plenty of FBI field agents in the Bay Area. I would say they are even with most cops, about 2 in 10 are heavily interested in tactics or firearms and the rest are along for the ride. If you want to see some butt kicked by a federal agency look at the US Marshalls, its like night and day between them and the FBI.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
don't hide behind car doors when being assailed by a rifle!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my collection, I have the FBI training video for this. they give an overview, interview some of the agents that were there, and they re-enact it minute by minute, at the scene.

Basic issues were
- no standardized firearm, permit to carry 5rd snubbies.
- requirement o carry FMJ in autos for reliability
- agents were allowed to wear glasses
- only some agents carried body armor with them, none wore it
- lack of effective gunfight training for agents

Many agents at the time had had little to no real combat/gunfight training. Most were allowed to carry a variety of weapons, and at that time, the revolver was still highly favored for most police work. In the initial fight, one agent shot one of the two bad guys with a FMJ 9mm round in the lungs. this is a kill shot, but the FMJ did not expand, so he had to bleed out, and that took time. Several agents interviewed said that they were awed by the loud firing of the mini-14, and several agents heard whizzing near them, and not all even knew that it was the sound of bullets. One of the agents was hit in the hand, and was unable to reload his 5-shot snubbie after it was dry. One of the best shots that was ther had his glasses knocked off at the start, and he could not even see more than a few yards without the - he was shot & killed while trying to figure out where others were.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The agents in the 86 shoot out in Miami were only allowed to carry weapons that were issued to them and that they were qualified to carry. The ammo for the 9mm semi auto pistols was the Winchester 115 grain silver tip. The ammo for the revolvers was the 158 gran LSWHP 38 special +P. They were were not allowed to carry 357 mag ammo in their revolvers

To deny that the ammo used that day exhibited inadequate penetration is, well ridiculous

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
someone mentioned this shootout with FBI agents in another thread so I looked it up. I was too young to have even remembered it happening. apparently it lead to alot of changes at the FBI and eventually likely led to the 40 S&W. however it looks to me like the problems the FBI had was more due to poor hits on the bad guys than a problem with the cartridge being used. I could see most of the blame being put on shooting revolvers over double stack 9mm's. double stack semi autos may have closed the gap of poor hits and another shot or 2 could have found their mark.

if the first hit that stopped right before the heart would have been a 40 S&W would even that have penetrated far enough?? is the 40 a better penetrater than the 9mm?? the 9mm that was fired went through the guys arm, into the chest from the side and stopped just short of the heart, but was still a fatal shot from hitting the lung. this doesn't sound like a problem with the 9mm. It was just a tuff shot angle for the 9mm to get the job done, or perhaps any pistol round for that matter. why were all the FBI guys shooting 38 spl in their 357's. what are your conclusions about what the FBI got right or wrong about the aftermath??

You need to get a copy of this and read it

[Linked Image]

I totally disagree with your assertion that poor shooting was the problem and so do the involved agents, lack of penetration with the shot angles and barriers were at fault and that is clear IMHO

Always with the lack of penetration. Oy vey. I've never had that problem myself but I wish you luck just the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The agents in the 86 shoot out in Miami were only allowed to carry weapons that were issued to them and that they were qualified to carry. The ammo for the 9mm semi auto pistols was the Winchester 115 grain silver tip. The ammo for the revolvers was the 158 gran LSWHP 38 special +P. They were were not allowed to carry 357 mag ammo in their revolvers

To deny that the ammo used that day exhibited inadequate penetration is, well ridiculous
Did you bother reading what Doc Rocket posted about the forensic analysis? About them literally being dead men walking? Do you think that blowing through the heart with one of Fackler's 147 grainers would have done better? For crying out loud.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by iambrb
In my collection, I have the FBI training video for this. they give an overview, interview some of the agents that were there, and they re-enact it minute by minute, at the scene.

Basic issues were
- no standardized firearm, permit to carry 5rd snubbies.
- requirement o carry FMJ in autos for reliability
- agents were allowed to wear glasses
- only some agents carried body armor with them, none wore it
- lack of effective gunfight training for agents

Many agents at the time had had little to no real combat/gunfight training. Most were allowed to carry a variety of weapons, and at that time, the revolver was still highly favored for most police work. In the initial fight, one agent shot one of the two bad guys with a FMJ 9mm round in the lungs. this is a kill shot, but the FMJ did not expand, so he had to bleed out, and that took time. Several agents interviewed said that they were awed by the loud firing of the mini-14, and several agents heard whizzing near them, and not all even knew that it was the sound of bullets. One of the agents was hit in the hand, and was unable to reload his 5-shot snubbie after it was dry. One of the best shots that was ther had his glasses knocked off at the start, and he could not even see more than a few yards without the - he was shot & killed while trying to figure out where others were.
That sounds about right.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
If you want to see some butt kicked by a federal agency look at the US Marshalls, its like night and day between them and the FBI.
An ex-cop friend of mine says the same thing.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by HawkI
They learned about firepower, but also primarily that the old LE standard of taking cover and returning fire against a highly offensive, military style, mobile opponent was a good way to get dead.

The FBI knew this but just got fat and lazy and forgot the lessons the mobile heavily armed gangsters of the 1920's & 1930's taught them through hard lessons. Experienced hard nosed lawmen with gunfighting experience were called in to combat the equally hard nosed gangsters. The Federal Agents were also heavily armed with the likes of Thompsons, BAR's, Gov't Model .45's and .38 Supers, S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty revolvers and at some point the new S&W .357 Magnum. Complacency will get you killed.

Yep.

Let's also note the "original" 38 FBI load was a flat point 200gr. loading, back in the day.
And yes, the point about sitting behind a car door taking rifle fire was true; also the agents did what they were trained to do and did the very best job they could, under the circumstances. I don't think they were a bunch of college pansies.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Did you bother reading what Doc Rocket posted about the forensic analysis? About them literally being dead men walking? Do you think that blowing through the heart with one of Fackler's 147 grainers would have done better? For crying out loud.

Yes a bullet through the heart would have ended the affair in 30 to 45 seconds according to forensic experts not 4 1/2 minutes latter as was the case with Pratt

I not only read what Doc posted but if you had payed attention you would have noticed that I have the complete forensic report that Doc referred to by Dr. Franklin

Last edited by jwp475; 11/23/11.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 21 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.