Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
US made Red Wings Or US made Danner's. Unfortunately, Both brands now make some models in China and you have to check the label before buying them.

I've worn these Danner wildland boots for years and now they have discontinued the model. frown
Danner Flashpoints

Red Wing now has almost all of their boots made in China - not just some.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
BP-B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My "issued" Rocky's did the same. I had them resoled with Vibram's because the leather was in near perfect condition. I usually buy Danner's, the stitched down models are still made in the USA.

Last edited by whit; 11/27/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
US made Red Wings Or US made Danner's. Unfortunately, Both brands now make some models in China and you have to check the label before buying them.

I've worn these Danner wildland boots for years and now they have discontinued the model. frown
Danner Flashpoints

Red Wing now has almost all of their boots made in China - not just some.

Well crap! That wasn't what I wanted to hear. frown I've been wearing my current pair for about 2 1/2 years now and I haven't needed to look at boots for awhile. I guess I'd better check and see if I can still find a pair of US made RW's to put back for the day when these finally wear out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I recently gave my son a pair of Rocky boots new in the box. I had bought them a few years ago and put them in the closet. He wore them one day and the soles came apart. Apparently, this is a common problem with Rocky boots.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I had a pair of Rocky Pronghorns that lasted a few years, early archery this year I noticed my feet were getting wet just by walking through a damp field, when I got back to my hotel room I noticed the bottom of them were disintegrated and took pics to show my wife I needed a new pair.

did a little bit of research on the internet and found Rocky avoids them like the plague....went ahead and threw them in the nearest dumpster and hunted with my Lacrosses.

Anyway I also will not be buying any more Rockys...too bad really cause they were fairly comfortable.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had a pair of new Rocky Snowstalkers fall after a couple years in the closet. The soles started deteriorating and cracking.

This is a long known Q/C problem Rocky has known about for years.

Bottom line is don't ever buy their products again, never!

MtnHtr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hmmm - I bought my first pair of Rocky's about 6 years ago (can't remember the model). They were on sale at the local Funstore, and were just in my price range. They seemed comfy enough, and were still going strong at the three year mark. Flush with cash at that point, I bought a second pair. "New" pair is also now at the 3 year mark and still keeping my feet dry, and the soles have not disintegrated. Wound up offering the old pair to someone in temporary need of dry boots at the time of the new purchase - that person is still wearing them 6 years out from new. Perhaps its the ND flatlands we hunt, but I've had no problems with mine(other than stinky feet syndrome)......

Kaiser Norton
Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had the exact same problem on a pair of Rocky boots and that hardly been worn. Tried to get Rocky to replace or repair them and they refused. Have never purchased another pair and never will.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading that most of Red Wing's boots were made in China I had to go look at the model I've worn for years and happily they are still US made for now anyway. I think these are classed as work boots but I wear 'em for everything.

Red Wings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wolverines King Caribou

I've been wearing these for 6-7 years but only hunt in them. The soles have held up well for me but I also waterproof them each year.

Last edited by raybass; 11/27/11. Reason: spelling

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had many pairs of Rocky Boots over the years...and on every single pair the soles literally disintegrated while sitting in my closet. The first time I thought it might just be a defective pair...but it happened to every single one of them. They are the worst pieces of [bleep] that I've ever put on my feet and I will never buy their [bleep] again! I know exactly what you're talking about.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Danners were the biggest pieces of crap I have ever owned. Same with a couple of buddies. We joke that their slogan should be "twice the pain, twice the price." I've had drier feet in flip-flops.

Meindl or bust.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a pair of Rocky Bearclaws that I bought from another guy after he wore them just one season. I have had them for 5 years now and just started to see the soles breaking down this year. Other than that, they have been good boots, warm and waterproof. 6 seasons is OK for a pair of boots in my book, but I think I will look to another brand for the next purchase.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
15 or so years ago I had a pair of Rocky's that the sole seperated on after not even a year. Rocky replaced them and I got a couple hard seasons out of them, that included quite a bit of ranch work.

I received another pair for X-Mas back in '97 (don't ask why I remember that) they/I put on a LOT of miles. A couple years ago the soles ended up looking like the first pics in this thread.

For my hunting boots I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are holding up well (non-insulted) and two pairs of Irish Setters. One 800g pair and another 1600g pair.

1600g pair are my ice fishing and later season archery boots, the 800g pair I wear almost daily. They really fit me well and have been more than happy with them for a reasonably priced pair of boots.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was working in the Power Line Crews for Alabama Power Co.
the Rocky boots were real popular with the Linemen when we had to go off working storm jobs in Nasty weather.
I bought a pair after my Climbing boots kept my feet wet for days.
They were nice at first and I bought several more styles of the rocky boots to hnt and work in,They all had the soles rot away in less than 2 years.
Around this time a lineman told me to try a boot that looked just like the Rocky Cornstalkers nylon boots,
I bought a pair of NorthLake boots,Nylon upper and lower,Gore Tex,Camo,400 gr insulation,15 years later I still wear them every hunting season soles are still good,no leaks.
AMRA

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Rockys are not real boots. high camo tennis shoes.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
When looking at other brands, are the Kenetrek worth $100 more than Meindl? Has anyone had both?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dcd
i called rocky "customer service" and recieved zero satisfaction!

I have been there, done that. I have nothing good to say about Rocky boots, or the company.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Whites. They can be rebuilt and are made in America (Wa).

What he said. If you cannot afford Whites look at Double H. A lot less and I have gotten years of hard use out of them.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just encountered this problem with my boots. I thought maybe I had left them near a campfire or something and weakened the rubber soles. Apparently they are just crap. It's nice to know I didn't ruin them but it sucks that they are pieces of crap!!!

----------
Hunting is my religion
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.