Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Finally got this Savage 220F figured out! I had some misfire issues and accuracy wasn�t what I had hoped for initially. I did all kinds of tweaking to turn this pigs ear into a silk purse. Well, after bedding, stock work, trigger work, a bunch of polishing, and a trip back to Savage I think I have this thing ready for Ohio gun season next week.

I received a nice 1.25 MOA target back from Savage but could never do better than 2-2.5 inches.. I always tightly torque down the front action screw and then just snug up the rear on all my rifles. When reassembling the shotgun I noticed a little movement in the rear tang area even though I bedded it. I thought what the heck, and firmly tightened down the rear action screw. First group was fired with two different types of (ammo) left overs and was about 1.5 inches. Made a scope adjustment and bingo; 3 inch accu-tips shot into about MOA! Really is satisfying to finally figure a problem out especially when ammo is $3 a pop. I really am going to have to soak this thing before it comes out of the stock again!
[Linked Image]

I even stuck a Stoney Point turret on it to make it tacticool.
[Linked Image]

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
cool

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had feeding and misfire issues with a 210F and not been able to solve them. what did you have to do to fix those items? I also have a 212 sitting at my dealer when I have a chance to pick it up. The misfires have me most troubled.

Salmonhead
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I have had feeding and misfire issues with a 210F and not been able to solve them. what did you have to do to fix those items? I also have a 212 sitting at my dealer when I have a chance to pick it up. The misfires have me most troubled.

Luckily mine fed well from the beginning. It did tend to hang up on the ejector so I did some stoning to fix that. You have to work the action briskly for reliable ejection.

The misfire was the reason I sent it back to Savage. Had it happen with a nice buck in my sights. Luckily I got him to stop and the second round went off. I haven't had a problem since getting it back.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I gave up on mine for the same reasons but my buddies and mine shot the Federal 3" Barnes expanders great....when the gun fired on occasion, then jammed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where did you get 3" accutips? Cant find them anywhere.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Did you ever get an explanation from Savage why it misfired? When it's happened to me the primers were dimpled but didnt fire. I thought it was the shells and then fired them in a differnt gun with no problems. So I never used that brand anymore and this year it did it on the brand that shot best. Wonder if it needs a longer firing pin or stronger spring or something.

Salmonhead
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
Where did you get 3" accutips? Cant find them anywhere.

Love that avatar! I got them back in May at Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron, Ohio. I snag a box when ever I seen them as the become rare as hen's teeth after October.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Did you ever get an explanation from Savage why it misfired? When it's happened to me the primers were dimpled but didnt fire. I thought it was the shells and then fired them in a differnt gun with no problems. So I never used that brand anymore and this year it did it on the brand that shot best. Wonder if it needs a longer firing pin or stronger spring or something.

That was an exactly the issue I was having- dimpled primers. I think it is a combo of firing pin protrusion and spring strength. Call Savage, they will take care of you.

The one that almost got away...
[Linked Image]

Dimpled primer.....
[Linked Image]

Last edited by djb; 11/24/11. Reason: added pics

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

My 210F has never fed well. I have to feed the shell fast and hard from the magazine to get it to the chamber. If I slowly push the bolt forward the shell flies out of the ejection port. After this season I'm going to fix it by limiting movement of the follower. I have never had mis-fire issues though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine bought the 20g version this year, and it functioned flawlessly and shot decent (1.25" 5 shot groups at 100 yards). It was a far cry from the 12g version I watched a guy at the gun club struggle with a few years ago. It wouldn't feed unless he REALLY slammed the bolt fast.

Is there some issue with the bigger 12g ammo in a bolt-gun?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Picked up the 212 I accidentally bought on Gunbroker and put a scope on it today. I will fix the 210 and either keep as a back up or move it down the road. The 212 has a removable magazine that will be handy as well as the accutrigger and the closed off the breach area so I suspect that will help the feeding/extracting issues.

Salmonhead
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a 220F and it works great. But yes, I do have to work the bolt hard. I really don't see this as an issue though. It shoots great and I love that trigger!

----------
Hunting is my religion
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I had similar problems with mine-would fire anything but Federal (Barnes Tipped), would only dent the primer. Talked to a "tech" at Savage and she said I should just shoot the other slugs. Finally got someone that had a clue and they had me send it back for a firing pin spring issue. No problems since return and it shoots great. There were problems with ejection on the early ones, Savage redesigned the port and includeds the correct bases on them now (I tried three systems before I got mine right-if not, it won't eject and will jam up). I really like mine, I think they are great guns and the price is a lot more favorable than a Browning...

Golden............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.