Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Danners were the biggest pieces of crap I have ever owned. Same with a couple of buddies. We joke that their slogan should be "twice the pain, twice the price." I've had drier feet in flip-flops.

Meindl or bust.

I had the same thing happen to my Meindls, used them 4 times in 4 yrs. Most of their life was spent high and dry in a closet. Took them out for a stroll this year while moose hunting and when I got back the foam between the sole and the boots uppers was discintegrating.
These boots were Cabelas line of Meindls ( like that should make a difference) but after contacting Meindl they advised me since they were Cabelas line that Cabelas is responsable for any warranty issues, but Meindl would resole them at a cost of $150 plus shipping fees. I contacted Cabela's and they gave me a gift certificate for 2/3 the original cost.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These boots were Cabelas line of Meindls ( like that should make a difference)
I think it should and I think it does. Meindl makes boots for Cabelas to Cabelas specs, not to Meindl's. In comparing my Meindls (from when Lathrop and Sons carried them) to a very similar pair of Cabelas branded boots of a co-worker, there appeared to be a difference in build quality to me. His didn't last as long as mine...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Danner, American made, are the best boots I've ever worn.

The stuff form China is junk like all the rest of the boots made in China.

Not at all impressed with the two pair of Hanwags I bought from Lathrop and Sons

Take a look at these Hanwags with the bent eyelets.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another dissatisfied Cabelas Meindl boot owner: Cabelas Returns. There was also a discussion a few yrs ago the leather was inferior on the Cabela's version Meindls. Seems Cabelas is getting a good ride on Meindl's reputation and their customers are buying disguised junk.
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Irish Setter boots have always given me long wear and dry feet in wet conditions.The Elk Tracker line is a great boot.

Last edited by baldhunter; 11/30/11.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dcd
anyone else take their rockys out of the closet and find, for no obvious reason, that the sole on one or both boot is literally rotting, crumbling, peeling and falling apart.

Yes, with multiple pairs. I don't buy Rocky boots any more.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which Rocky's have bad soles ? The Chinese made Rocky's come with several different types of soles and then there are still some USA made Rocky's with yet different soles. Can't say I've ever owned a pair of Rocky boots myself but I don't think I'd paint the entire line with the same brush considering all the different styles, points of origin and obvious differences in materials/construction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interestingly enough, I've only had one pair of boots rot--my Meindls that I bought while in Germany. That said, I'd definitely try them again though, based on all the good reports I hear.

My only pair of Rocky's are holding up very well. They aren't my most comfortable boot, but the durability is not in question.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine did the same thing after about 3 yrs of owning them - the SOB's fell apart on me while hunting!!

Luckily had spare pair of boots in truck & was able to keep hunting for the day.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
Interestingly enough, I've only had one pair of boots rot--my Meindls that I bought while in Germany. That said, I'd definitely try them again though, based on all the good reports I hear.

My only pair of Rocky's are holding up very well. They aren't my most comfortable boot, but the durability is not in question.

Well, that does seem unusual for Meindl from what I have heard as well.

Everybody I have talked loves their Meindl's and the only "complaint" is that they do not fit everybody (suprise).

I suppose every company can let a bad batch of a product out once in a while.

Did you contact Meindl? Most German companies really stand behind their product and they might do something even outside the warranty period (perhaps they know that they had a bad batch of leather get by them or the like).

John

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Danner cannot even use a plastic heel cup anymore. They are cardboard...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Danner cannot even use a plastic heel cup anymore. They are cardboard...

Not the last pair I bought this past year.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Had a couple of pairs of Rocky Stalkers and they were pretty comfortable; nice and soft sole and no shock to the feet, legs, etc. but after a few years the soles crumbled between hunting seasons and it was "what the heck?" I too thought it might have been because I got them too close to a campfire while sitting around camp but after seeing everyone's comments, I don't think that's the problem. That was 20 years ago. Right after that, I bought two pairs of Danner's over a period of three years. I believe they were called "Predators" and were made for Cabela's before the newer version by the same name. One pair had "bob" soles and the other standard Vibram. Well this past elk season I finally had a failure where the outer sole of the "bob soled" boot came loose at the heel. Fortunately it was on the way out of the timber to the horses after downing a nice 6X7 so even though it was a little clumsy, I really didn't give a rip! Twenty years out of a pair of boots is pretty good in my opinion. Since Danner has a repair/re-sole service,I'll send them back and have them re-soled; see if I can't get a few more years out of them. The other pair is still going strong even although I will admit that one of the loop eyelets has pulled out.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I must have gotten lucky with the two pair of Rockies I bought in my life, both of which I still have. I have a pair of Rocky Expedition boots (not made any more) that I have used over the last 15 years. The only issue with the soles is that the intermediate cushion layer is cracking some along the edges but they are still reasonably waterproof. I have another pair of steel toe Rocky work boots going on 6 years. These are still in very good shape and are worn primarily in muddy and wintry work conditions.

I don't normally buy Rockies but both of these boots looked and felt right for the price, and time has proven them a good investment. Based on these reports I don't know that I would chance any more.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 12/02/11.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not true one the redwings. Yes, there are some chicom's but I have a catalogue on my table right now... Plenty of USA boots in it.

Camp is where you make it.
D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
thanks to those of you willing to respond. one of the many values of the campfire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have Danners, Redwing, and Rocky's two pair of Rocky's and on both the soles fell apart! Won't buy a third.

Chris

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Had a pair of Rocky's about 15 yrs ago that the soles crumbled on.Called Rocky and was told sorry,we won't do anything about it and if I didn't like their product I could shop elsewhere.I took that advice to heart.I'll go barefoot before I'd ever buy anything from them again.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.