Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
anyone getting good wildlife pics with a four-thirds camera, or a large sensor compact? I don't want an SLR -- too much weight... but want to be able to take wildlife shots of opportunity when they present themselves... finding the right camera based on specs is killing me... am currently considering the Olympus PEN E-PL1/2/3 or the Nikon P100 superzoom... thanks for your thoughts...

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am far from a photography expert...but if you really want to take wildlife photos, you will eventaully end up with a DSLR.

I have a Oly E-520. I LOVE the Oly 50-200mm lens. Its light, small, fast and very sharp. The 2x crop factor makes this a nice, light, travel ready combo for wildlife, which is why I bought it. Nonetheless, I am considering switching to the C or N brands for better high ISO performance. I think you would find the same thing given some time behind the camera.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks, my son has the E-520 as well.... great camera but just too big for my purposes...

Last edited by Dogger; 12/04/11. Reason: spelling
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fuji's X10 is worth a look:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x10/

Compact, analog controls, 2/3 sensor, image stabilized, fast aspherical ED glass.

If you really want to be thrilled look at their X100:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/finepix_x100/

Last edited by pal; 12/04/11.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Fuji's X10 is worth a look:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x10/

Compact, analog controls, 2/3 sensor, image stabilized, fast aspherical ED glass.

If you really want to be thrilled look at their X100:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/finepix_x100/

The X100 is an outstanding camera IMO but no wildlife camera. I had one and it took fantastic pics.

If you are wanting to take pics of wildlife you should go with a DSLR.

Rob
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by harv3589
...The X100 is an outstanding camera IMO but no wildlife camera. I had one and it took fantastic pics.

If you are wanting to take pics of wildlife you should go with a DSLR.

Of course you're right. The X100 is much better suited to scenics; I mention it only because I like it. grin None of those would be my first choice. Just going along w/ small camera options.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot the Olympus Pens, in addition to my Nikons, for a couple of years and love them for scenic and wildlife. I currently shoot the EP-3, but with the deals that Camera Land has been running on the EPL-1 it is worth checking them out. I also purchased an adapter and will use my Tamron 200-500mm on the front of the Pen. It works great! Call Joel or Doug at Camera Land and see what they have going on right now.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks, I have pm'd Doug about the E-PL1, and you guys do have a great deal going on right now on it... but I have read some reviews about it that were not so flattering (noisy lens during video with the basic lens that comes with the E-PL1, etc), so am sitting on the fence until I determine more. Have not considered the E-PL1 with the Tamron lens though...

Might just toss in the towel and pick up an Olympus XZ-1...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw this:

http://tinyurl.com/7kcojff

Pretty good price. You may want even more focal length.

I like this one:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1309410030.html

Last edited by pal; 12/05/11.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love the Olympus system. The EPL3 is awesome. Compact, fast and great pictures. Their 75-300 (150-600 actual) is unreal. Happy to answer any of your questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B3

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Any thoughts on the Olympus E-P3? I would think that with its AF speed it may be great, with the right lens, and a small tripod...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The EP-s is great. If you are looking for video as the main objective then the new Nikon 1 system with the 10-100 lens. It has a silent AF motor as well as silent zoom. Made for video. It has tracking AF and while shooting video you can take still shots, awesome!!

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Nope, looking for highest quality still photos (RAW and JPEG) out of a 4/3s system...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have an EP-3, love it. I mentioned it before but I love it with an adapter and the Tamron 200-500mm. I also use it with the Tamron 180mm Macro, talk about tight!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogger
Nope, looking for highest quality still photos (RAW and JPEG) out of a 4/3s system...

I am looking for the same thing right now and all my research and reading has been pointing towards the Sony Nex 5N or Nex 7.

Rob
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
good reviews here... www.dpreview.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good reviews here... www.dpreview.com

I have gone over that site numerous times as well as everything else I can find on the net about those cameras....Sony is still coming out on top.

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have heard great things as well. I have played with them but not used them beyond at the counter. The only knock I hear from people who own them is the size of the lenses are still large and heavy. Sony makes some great stuff.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have not handled the E-P3 and Nex 5N side by side. That said, I think I would prefer the built-in image stabilization of the E-P3. But the 5N should have better image quality... and the Sony appears to be about $100 less expensive... tough choice.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The touch-screen display might stop me. Would much rather have one w/ mostly analog controls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a fairly good comparison of the Pen lite and Nex 5n...points out advantages of each

Click here

Here is the Nex 5N compared to the E-P3

Click here

Last edited by harv3589; 12/12/11.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me I want a good quality image....that weighs in most. I have high expectations of a camera given I use to shoot a Canon 5D MkII with Canon L lenses and Zeiss lenses.

So far that puts Sony Nex 5N in front of the others IMO....except of the Nex 7 which is suppose to be better but I am not spending that much.

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The touch screen turns off really easy. I don't use mine except to select a focus point when I am doing HDR.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
LOL, I am no closer to a decision than I was two weeks ago. My heart says go E-P3 and my head says go Nex 5N... None of them are made in the USA so I can't use that as a criteria!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like it is time for a coin toss!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup it's very confusing. There r so many choices. Maybe go and try out both in person and that may make it clr which would be best for u. I am goo to look at them this morning to see which I would like. Also going to look at the fuji x10. If its anything like the x100 it would be a winner. I had the x100 for abit but missed the zoom and i need aome cash right then for something else so I sold it. Pics out of it were awesome

Rob
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I am no closer to a decision than I was two weeks ago...

Sometimes, when I have struggled w/ a decision, I have found out, later, that the reason for my struggle was that I hadn't enough information, at the time.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, i think in my case i want the cameras to be something they are not... lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well just got back from looking at the Sony and the Fuji. Sony is the winner for me. I really like the touch screen personally, it works great and makes sense.

Lots of research and reading is all you can do...check photography forums out and read lots on the cameras. Find out what the issues are for each and go from there

Rob
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
post pics with your new Sony! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
post pics with your new Sony! smile

I would love to but I have to wait till after Jan 1 to buy then my benefits at work will cover $400 out of it....so I have to wait a couple of weeks unfortunately.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But my dad bought the Fuji X10 for himself....

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The PEN series is by far the class of that type of camera. The difference in sensor size between Sony and Olympus is minimal. The lens selection of Olympus plus the ability to use Panasonic's lenses are huge. The built in Image Stabilization is also a plus as is the selection of accessories Olympus offers for the system.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Which is partly why I keep coming back to the E-P3...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Dogger did you figure out what you're going to do???

Rob
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Naw, not yet. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am testing a Sony NEX-3C over the next few days. I will let you know what I think side by side with the EP-3. Tamron just released the Di-III E mount 18-200mm VC lens for the Sony bodies. It is getting interesting in the mirrorless world now!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
I am testing a Sony NEX-3C over the next few days. I will let you know what I think side by side with the EP-3. Tamron just released the Di-III E mount 18-200mm VC lens for the Sony bodies. It is getting interesting in the mirrorless world now!

I think you should test the 5N instead of the 3C....I would be interested in that

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I didn't get too much input on the model...
I will check into the possibility though.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is an interesting comparison here:

http://tinyurl.com/6qd7hw3

For me, it is important that a camera have a good viewfinder and mostly analog (not menu-driven) controls of primary functions like: manual focus, zoom, aperture and shutter speed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dp just published today a review of the mirroless cameras
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8986630048/mirrorless-roundup-2011

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Doug. They're really getting serious about mirror-less, now.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had no idea what this 4/5th stuff was. From the looks of the stuff on thast link above it not much more than a point and shoot with changeable lens? For me the best P&S I've used was one with a view finder. My presaent Nikon L24 doesn't have one. It does take nice photos but hard for me to frame them right. It doesn't have aperature pri, shutter pir and manual controls either. One thing I found with my Nikon is if I want the best photo I can get, put it away and get out a DSLR. I have seen some P&S cameras that do have a lot better controls on them. I gave my Cannon I5IS, think that is waht it is, to my grancson because it wouldn't fit in my bird vest. That was a mistake! My next P&S, soon as I can afford one will have the controls and fixed lens and some kind of belt pack I can carry it in. If I'm out hunting I don't want to give up the long zoom and carry extra lens with me.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for that new review... will check it out...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I have had no idea what this 4/5th stuff was. From the looks of the stuff on thast link above it not much more than a point and shoot with changeable lens? For me the best P&S I've used was one with a view finder. My presaent Nikon L24 doesn't have one. It does take nice photos but hard for me to frame them right. It doesn't have aperature pri, shutter pir and manual controls either. One thing I found with my Nikon is if I want the best photo I can get, put it away and get out a DSLR. I have seen some P&S cameras that do have a lot better controls on them. I gave my Cannon I5IS, think that is waht it is, to my grancson because it wouldn't fit in my bird vest. That was a mistake! My next P&S, soon as I can afford one will have the controls and fixed lens and some kind of belt pack I can carry it in. If I'm out hunting I don't want to give up the long zoom and carry extra lens with me.

You are right about them being nothing more than a point and shoot, but a higher end one. That is really what I am looking for since I sold off all my Canon gear. I use to the 5D MkII with L lenses and Zeiss lenses but found I didn't use them enough to warrant having thousands and thousands tied up...so off they went. I am just in need of a camera that will take decent photos of family/friends and some travelling.

Eventually Canon will steal some more of my money and I will get back into the DSLR thing. But for now the Sony Nex 5N will hold me over for the purpose I intend to use it. Not a replacement for a DSLR and I won't get the quality I am use to out of it either but it will do for now.

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rob,
You may find that the mirrorless is so convenient and the quality so high, you may not want to carry a big DSLR again! Because of their ability to use so many lenses, they are so versatile. I have been adapting my Tamrons to the Pens and now that Tamron is in "the game" with the Sony mounts, my 50+ year old body is digging the light weight systems. I think that FF mirrorless and much higher megapixel sensors are coming soon too. I am glad that folks like Camera Land are getting in at the breaking edge!

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder when Olympus will put out the successor to the E-P3 with a much improved/higher megapixel sensor? That seems to be the only knock on the E-P3 from what I have put together across numerous sources.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am sure at some point they will. I have been very pleased with the sensor though. I have made some pretty big prints from it (30x40) without any problems.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One nice thing about the 4/3's is that there are a number of lens adapters available that allow mounting SLR and rangefinder lenses (like the excellent Leica M series) lenses. That gives you access to very fast prime lenses and lets you use the 4/3 alongside your film or digital SLR's.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Saw an E-P1 at Best Buy today and was impressed at how small it is, compared to my Olympus OM1 (LOL). No E-P3 in stock to hold and fondle....

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am going to pass on the multi-lens cameras... just more SWaP than I want to hassle with... am going to go with a high-end enthusiast compact point and shoot, able to shoot RAW, with as fast a lens as I can get and as much optical zoom as I can get. Looking at the Olympus XZ-1 at the moment...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you may find the 112 mm to be too short for wildlife.
If not dslr or mirrorless, and needing the reach for wildlife, I would consider a superzoom like the Panasonic FZ or Canon SX40, or the more compact Canon SX230.

But then for wildlife you may want/need a tripod, and thus the compact factor is negated, so go dslr wink

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hmmm... the Nikon P7100 can get me out to 200mm...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
200mm is still stretching it for wildlife...to get good wildlife photos like others do on here you need to goto a DSLR with the lenses that will reach out there....but thats expensive, hence why I sold off all my gear.

I did pick up a Sony Nex 5N couple days ago and love it so far....its no wildlife camera

Rob
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, it is all about compromises... i just don't want to be hauling a DSLR around when hunting or backpacking... So trying to sort out what gets me closest to it while being uber convenient...

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Have you considered the Fuji SH20 superzoom. Doug sold me on that model at a great price.

24-720mm manual zoom lens, raw capability, 16 megapixel cmos sensor, TTL hotshoe, and HD video capability

I just wish that I had the skills to really make use of the camera's capabilities.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Nope, but thanks for the tip!... I am looking at the Fuji cameras on dpreview.com as I type...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're going to be spending alot of time shooting with long telephotos--or long zooms--a tripod or monopod will become your best friend.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am digging the fact that the Fuji Finepix HS20 EXR uses AA batteries... i consider that a real advantage when you are out in the boonies and away from recharging power...

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, I am now looking at lightweight DSLRs... what do you guys think about the Olympus E-450?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Panasonic GH2 and the Panasonic/Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS Lens

Took this handheld in the Umkomaas of Kwa-Zulu Natal this past June:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bushbuck were a few hundred yards away.

Young Kudu bull at a couple hundred + yards:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am digging the fact that the Fuji Finepix HS20 EXR uses AA batteries... i consider that a real advantage when you are out in the boonies and away from recharging power...

AA batteries are a real bonus. I have four sets of NiMHy for my camera. The flash unit also uses four AA's.

[Linked Image]

I keep a 12 volt car charger in the truck and can recharge batteries in the field if needed.

Also, long zoom requires the use of tripod and remote release. The Fugi SH20 uses a remote cable which plugs into the USB port and works electronically.

That feature is prevalent among DSLR's but seems harder to find with point and shoot models.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Dang, the Fuji has a really small sensor... I have a lightweight tripod ready to go... still looking for the right camera...

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
ain't many options that use AA batteries... the Fuji is back in the hunt...

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am less informed than a lot of folks around here when it comes to photography equipment. So I may be mistaken.

But I was informed that the SH20 has a very good sensor in the CMOS rather than using a CCD.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ords/CMOS/Search/true/Re_Fujifilm_EXR_CM

The LCD it uses for the view finder has been mentioned by some as being a weak point. In that it has a rather small number of pixels when compared to other cameras. On the other hand, I do not know what the price point was of the cameras to which it was being compared.

Send a PM to Joel at CameraLand. He will fill you in on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.