Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
OP Offline
E
do we have any tradtional bow hunters. what bow do u shoot what broadheads mayne some pics of ur hunts or ur bows

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot a habu death adder with arrow dynamic arrows and muzzy and simmons sharks broadheads.

E
OP Offline
E
what muzzys do u shoot because i love muzzy bhs

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i hunted for many years with recurves, but have switched to using longbows only in the last few years. i have several customs (bob lee, crow creek, and a few others), but my favorite is a bear montana which i spray painted black/grey camo. i use 23/64th wood arrows (i buy the shafts and stain, seal, fletch, etc. myself) with longbows and either zwickey or magnus 125gr 2 blade broadheads. also use 150gr grizzlys. you might check out trad gang.com and stickbow.com. good hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted with traditional equipment for the past 25 years. Started with an older Bear Kodiak Hunter, progressed to a Martin Mamba, and have settled on Blacktail Bows made by Norm Johnson out of Reedsport, Oregon; awesome bows. I shoot hand made laminated birch arrows, and am currently using a, what used to be, Wensel Woodsman Broadhead. They're now being offered by Three Rivers Archery as the Woodsman. My Blacktails and some arrows that I've made. Arrow making is an addiction for me; I make them for all my friends.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 257Deland; 12/05/11.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The little lady and I both hunt the fun way.
Our Archerhunter Jr has been shooting his longbow since just a few days after his second B-day, including putting the arrow on all by himself. Nearing 5 YO he only has 3 summer's practice under his belt.... but that's well over half his life smile

We have quite a few bows from quite a few bowyers. Here's what I bought the wife a couple years back from R.E.R.

Zebra wood and purple heart.

[Linked Image]

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps
We use carbon arrows that we fletch ourselves and Bear Super Razorheads with the little inserts to make 'm 4 blade. Very effective broad heads and the shafts are easy to straiten wink

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Hoyt Excel Riser with TT limbs 45# hunting and SF limbs 32# for indoor target work. I also have a Howatt Diablo 47# that I will likly hunt with next fall. I shoot Beman ICS Bowhunter Carbon Arrows w/ Old Bear Razorheads. I love to stump shoot and am pretty hard on arrows, so these work great. Tough, Straight and cheap - good combination in my book!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by eddie700
do we have any tradtional bow hunters. what bow do u shoot what broadheads mayne some pics of ur hunts or ur bows
Until earlier this year I was a DAS Master Hunter user with Outback Supreme broadheads mounted on carbon arrows. I used a DAS SRF sight. Unfortunately, I have been diagnosed with MCTD, a particularly virulent incurable autoimmune disease. I can no longer draw ANY bow. So my great nephews have DAS bow packages, and I have two DAS Master Hunters remaining that I must sell.
Outback Supreme broadheads - the ultraheavy all steel version - are hands down the best value among the super penetrating broadheads, as well as being one of the three best in quality control. The problem is getting them from their part-time manufacturer in Australia.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted traditional for the last 25 years. Mostly recurves: Allegheny Mountain Takedown, Allegheny Mountain Bush Bow, Robertson Stykbow one piece Peregrine, and Bear Grizzly have been the primary bows.
Douglas fir shafts with Wensel Woodsman broadheads, Zwickey Delta's, Bear Razors three fletched with 5 1/2" banana fletch. Carbon Express Terminator shafts with Three Rivers 5 grain/inch insert tubes, and Muzzy 220 grain Phantoms, four fletched with 5 inch parabolic feathers.
Hand made my quiver.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All I have ever shot since the mid-60's is traditional. I've never owned a compound, cam actuated arrow launching device.

Here's my bows. Although there are a few longbows up there I usually shoot my recurves. I love the longbows but evidently they don't love me.

[Linked Image]

I make some of my own arrows but my oldest son is like 257Deland, he thrives on making arrows. He usually makes me a dozen for Fathers Day and another dozen for Christmas. Here's part the last dozen he built for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I still shot the same broadheads I shot 25 years ago, Zwickey Black Diamonds and shafts are Port Orford Cedar.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well crap....I thought I had that picture of the bows rotated!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

E
OP Offline
E
its just awsome i love shooting i shoot everyday

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by eddie700
what muzzys do u shoot because i love muzzy bhs
I like their new crosskill 150gr broadheads. They have a solid SS Ferrule and short and compact. I also love the phantoms and I shot one at my basement wall and the only way to get it out was to hit it with a hammer.

Originally Posted by Naphtali

Outback Supreme broadheads - the ultraheavy all steel version - are hands down the best value among the super penetrating broadheads, as well as being one of the three best in quality control. The problem is getting them from their part-time manufacturer in Australia.

Have you tried the simmons 190gr tree shark? Similar to the outback supreme.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like traditional way more than compounds.

Something special about getting under 20 yards and taking a animal with a handmade arrow. It is even better if you built the bow yourself.

I have killed a few rabbits and one hen gobbler with a hand built longbow. I cheated though and used a carbon arrow. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like these, he does nice work!!!

[Linked Image]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
257, thank you and I think he does also. When I received those arrows I called my son and asked him what he wanted me to do with them as they're too pretty to shoot. He told me, and I quote, "shoot them or you don't get anymore". I've shot some of them to keep my hat in his ring...hehe.

Also, whoever rotated that picture for me, thank you. Doing so on the board is over my head!!!!

Last edited by sharps4590; 12/06/11.

NRA Benefactor 2008

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My traditional bows include a Martin Savannah, a Hoyt Dorado and the new Buffalo.

So far I have only had the pleasure of harvesting grouse and a moose with the Dorado using Easton carbon arrows and G5 Small Game Heads and Muzzy Phantoms in 125GR.

I will be hunting with the Savannah using Beeman MFX Classic arrows tipped with the Phantoms. Hopefuuly for bear and mule deer.

I have some GrizzlyStiks and Silverflame broadheads that I want to try in the Buffalo on elk.

If all goes well next year, I will finally try for a mountain goat with the Dorado...my original goal for buying the t/d recurve.

This past year I competed in all the Indoor and Outdoor 3D shoots I could with the Dorado and did very well. Had an absolute blast with it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Blkram how do you like your Buffalo? Have you tried the Grizzstiks yet? I loved the old silverflames!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like the Buffalo!
Does shoot differently to my Dorado...but haven't had as much time with it yet.
Sorry, haven't tried the GrizzlyStiks in the Buffalo yet.
I do like them in the Dorado, but since I competed all year long with the Dorado and get better flight with the Eastons, that's what I have used most.

I will spend more time with the Buffalo this winter though...it would be a shame not too...as I got the bow from Fred Eichler himself!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.