Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 40O
I see the issue of short-range shooting or long-range shooting as irrelevant. Field craft, knowledge of the animal being hunted � these things are virtually unmentioned in the 30some pages of crap I�ve wasted my time reading. The only hint that anyone involved with this �shot� knew anything about the country or the animal is when JB states that the shooter rides her horses where the �shot� occurred. For all we know she has ridden within inches of that herd. Maybe the herd has grown use to her hunting birds and doesn�t even spook when she is around. Maybe she hand feeds them occasionally. Hell, it�s laugh possible that if she didn�t have a camera crew and JB screaming directions spooking the elk she might have been able to get within inches before taking her shot.

No mention of hunting pressure.
No mention of who spent the off season scouting the elk.

Lookie here boys, fresh meat... crazy laugh laugh

Merry Xmas???

Last edited by Nrut; 12/10/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The elk died.

End of discussion.

I wish I had some of the meat.

JM

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by headwatermike
Anyone who has practiced at like ranges should easily recognize the difficulty of such definitive shooting. I would be cautious of discounting her ability. Of course, a stopped watch is right twice a day, but accidents at such range don't typically result in hits.

+1. Not knowing her, and not being there to see what transpired, people should be cautious about discounting anything or jumping to conclusions. Especially when they're considering accusations of "unethical" conduct.

But caution doesn't seem to figure in on threads like this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

What, none of you guys have ever had a partner or a guide range a shot for you??? Seriously? She did a good job with the shot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Read the whole thread and these 3 thoughts came to mind 1.damned good job of spotting and coaching JB 2. congrats to the gal for her success 3. sure wish I could a met a gal like that 20 years ago.Finally to the detractors of this thread sure hope your next life is better. Magnum Man

IC B2

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnum Man,
as I see it the only difference between big stick and you is the side of the argument he was on. Both of you avoid addressing a posters position to win/try to win style points.

The shooter made a good shot, sure. But isn't the purpose behind the video to demonstrate that anyone with jb's system and jb setting up the shot can do the same thing?

the post show that the shooter is a hunter, and may have been the one to scout the elk. The post fail to state whether she could get closer that 688 yards.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by colodog
TBaker How's life in the hills this year?

Life is great, little more snow this year than last by this same time. Makes me happy. Been shooting any LR? I have been shooting out to 500 at my range. We should go bust some rocks.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 40O

1) The shooter made a good shot, sure. But isn't the purpose behind the video to demonstrate that anyone with jb's system and jb setting up the shot can do the same thing?

2) the post show that the shooter is a hunter, and may have been the one to scout the elk. The post fail to state whether she could get closer that 688 yards.

1) How do you know what the poster's purpose was, without asking? Why don't you ask him? Personally, I don't care what his purpose was, as he is a sponsor on this website and as such should expect that he can do a little promotion now and again. I get some value out of videos like these, because they show what is possible with the right experience and skills. Some say an elk at 600+ yards with a .243 is pushing the envelope, and that may be true. But the video shows that it can be done, and to me, that is a good data point. And no, it doesn't mean that I'm gonna run out and try to emulate it.

2) Whether the hunter could get closer is really none of your concern, unless you want to say that everyone should share your same ethic on getting closer vs. making a long shot. Who are you to say that?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 40O

The shooter made a good shot, sure. But isn't the purpose behind the video to demonstrate that anyone with jb's system and jb setting up the shot can do the same thing?

the post show that the shooter is a hunter, and may have been the one to scout the elk. The post fail to state whether she could get closer that 688 yards.

40O
The first three sentences of this thread:
Short video of elk hunt from this weekend. These elk have been hunted all fall and are pretty wary.

This was the third time we setup on the herd and the first chance she had for a shot.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was very nice, I bet she was pretty jazzed up for several days after making that shot. I'd like to put that scope on my 240 wby.

Good Job, John!!!

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 40O

the very first post-
This was the third time we setup on the herd and the first chance she had for a shot.

Who cares if he is trying to sell something. I enjoy the superbowl ads even remember a few but pretty sure none have convinced me to go buy their crap!

What hours work best for you to man the how far is too far hotline?

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=40O]

2) Whether the hunter could get closer is really none of your concern, unless you want to say that everyone should share your same ethic on getting closer vs. making a long shot. Who are you to say that?

Here in Arizona it is the liberals that support rights without responsibility and the conservatives who hold that rights go hand in hand with responsibility. On the issue of hunting, liberals and conservatives often come across as hypocrites � Liberals who normally support all �lifestyle� choice decrying those who consider hunting a part of our life and Conservatives supporting any type of �hunting� even if it fails to demonstrate any of the �responsibility� we expect and demand for the exercise of rights in other areas.

As far as who I am to take a position, I�m one of the people that actually go to game and fish meetings when something is on the table I feel strongly about. Canned hunts, scouting from an airplane and other things I oppose I speak out about.

So, what do you hunters thing about the business that set up a remote controlled rifle with a camera on top that could be controlled from someone over the internet? Boy, can you imagine? Someone in China hits the space bar firing a rifle on the other side of the World!!!!! Now that�s long range keyboarding�I mean hunting�I mean shooting�.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
[quote=40O]

I started my post by saying that the short-range or long-range shooting is irrelevant. Did you miss that part? It was the first sentence, right at the beginning. Went something like this �I see the issue Short-range shooting or long-range shooting as irrelevant."

Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yawn.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 40O

Here in Arizona it is the liberals that support rights without responsibility and the conservatives who hold that rights go hand in hand with responsibility.......

So, what do you hunters thing about the business that set up a remote controlled rifle with a camera on top that could be controlled from someone over the internet? Boy, can you imagine? Someone in China hits the space bar firing a rifle on the other side of the World!!!!! Now that�s long range keyboarding�I mean hunting�I mean shooting�.

As far as remote controlled rifles, that comparison is absurd. Remote-controlled rifles violate the basic tenets of firearms safety since the shooter isn't present and can't know what lies beyond the target.

As far as liberals/conservatives, from where I sit, the more relevant point is that liberals think there should be limits on things like how far one should shoot at game animals, etc., and conservatives would say that if the shooter can reliably make the shot then it's nobody else's business how far the shot is.

"Taking responsibility" means not taking a shot that's beyond your limitations, and by definition there cannot be one "responsible distance" that fits all. Who are you to argue with that, or to tell people what their own responsible distance is?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

LMAO, best line so far.

C
C
1 question for John Burns.

Have you EVER lost/not recovered a wounded animal while filming these long-range shots???....be HONEST!

To me the real thrill of hunting is how CLOSE you can get to an animal and ethically harvest it....long-range sniping of animals seems to fit the bill for either 1 of 2 style of hunters....The Lazy....or inept...which one are U?

The greatest hunters are the ones that take game the closet....with primitive weapons....not from extreme ranges....I find your videos along with Best of the West repugnant.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How did this go from long range hunting ethics to robotic rifles?

[bleep] I love this site. Just need to argue about religion for 7 pages then we can wrap this abortion up.

Last edited by archie_james_c; 12/10/11.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The greatest hunters are the ones that take game the closet....with primitive weapons....not from extreme ranges....I find your videos along with Best of the West repugnant.

And yet another idiot imposes his own ignorant opinion on the rest of us.

Check out corey006 post here...
I have my choices nailed down to 3 scopes.

The 2.25x16 Bushnell Elite 6500 with DOA reticle

The Zeiss 4.5x14 Conquest with Rapid Z 800(or 1000)

Leupold VX3 4.5x14 with CDS.

I am leaning towards the Zeiss.....

I am pretty sure the CDS system works much like the Custom GreyBull Precision Leupold optic seen here...

YouTube - GreyBull Precision Long Range Hunting

He's shopping long range scopes then makes the remark above??

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by corey006

No, the greatest hunters are those that can do both, as well as knock down birds with a shotgun.

As far a wounding an animal, and whether one needs to get close or not, one of the foremost experts (TJ Conrads) on bowhunting with traditional bows, the epitome of your hallowed primitive weapons, says that a traditional bowhunter's maximimum range is the range at which that bowhunter can reliably place an arrow in the vitals 8 out of 10 times. I have no idea what's J. Burn's failure rate is, but I'd be willing to bet it's less than 20%.

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.