Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm starting a teardown of my shooter 1952 EG for cleaning and inspection purposes and can't see how the recoil pad comes off. Was this pad a stock item? Is it glued?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely was not factory. Very possibly glued.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sometimes the holes in the rubber for screws are extremely small and close back up quite tightly - hard to see/find. Are you planning to put the pad back on after you have completed your cleaning and inspection?

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by boltman
Sometimes the holes in the rubber for screws are extremely small and close back up quite tightly - hard to see/find. Are you planning to put the pad back on after you have completed your cleaning and inspection?

Not neccesarily. I'm 6'2" so going with a thicker pad to provide optimum fit is not out of the question. Which BTW, what should the length of pull be for someone my height? Also, the stock is in nice shape so not 100% sure I'd want to remove the pad if it's glued. That said, I'm not against digging into the pad to look for screws.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I tried to pull a pad off once that I thought was glued on. I didn't see any screw holes in the pad for screws. Sure enough, the pad was screwed on. I'm not saying some are just glued on. Take a close look about where the screws should be - pinch the pad a bit and press on it. If they are there, they are likely just small little slits. You might be able to open them enough to see them if you press on the pad in that area.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Recruit,You wont be able to "TEARDOWN" or clean much if you cant get the pad off. The screw that holds the buttstock on is under the pad and without taking the buttstock off you cant get at the bolt, and trigger,safety mechanism (SP) .Don

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Typically a tiny slit is made in the rubber with a razor/scalpel or somesuch, right where the screw passes through. The screw and screwdriver are then slathered up with vaseline and poked through and turned in. (No jokes please! grin ) That prevents the rubber from tearing (again, no jokes), and the hole closes up tight when the screwdriver is withdrawn (God!). Locate the slit and duplicate the technique to remove.

Note: most screws used for pads for the last 50 years or more are phillips heads. I would try that first.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/10/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking, proding, squeezing and see no signs of screws so maybe its just glued on, IDK. I think a little scalpel work may in order to confirm. Although I'd prefer not to, I do want to be able to access the guns internals.

The pad on my 12 gauge has screws and they're hidden pretty well. I'll see what I can find through a little surgery on the 99. Can someone let me know the distance between screws for the hard buttplate on a standard EG? This should help if indeed screws are there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
try about 2 7/8's

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh has it right.

It is rare for a recoil pad to be glued on a wood stock (recoil pads on synthetics are often glued on though).

Take a Philips screwdriver greased with Vaseline and gently poke the pad along the centerline where the screws might be and see if it goes in.

If the original pad was done by somebody who knew what they were doing (i.e. as gnoahhh described), it is almost impossible to see ANY indication of where the holes are. You have to gently probe for the hole with a greased object.

And before any of you (half) wits pile on me: I never thought I would write a sentence like the last one above on the 'Fire -- at least a sentence that did not contain the words Tom264 or Ingwe... wink

John

IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
If you are not keeping the pad, and intend to repace it. Give up on the poking and proding. Tear into that sucker. Cut the rubber off at the junction of the rubber and the hard plastic plate. If no screws are visable indicating that it is glued on, then the hard plastic can be carefully sanded off. Length of pull is kind of a hard to estimate height has some to do with it but so does build. If you have a rifle that fits you well measure it and shoot for a similar length on the project gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The original stock would have had a 13" pull. Savage went to a 13 1/2" in 1959.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys. This thread has provided some humor while trying to figure this out. grin

I tried poking again but this time with a smaller phillips screwdriver. Bingo! Found one of the holes and the other 3 1/16" from the first. After some effort with the different size phillips, resorted to a straight screwdriver and that did the trick. Maybe straight screws were all that a PO had laying around at the time, who knows. Also, no glue either which was a relief.

The LOP measures at 13". My 12 gauge with pad is at 14 1/2" and feels a better fit. I'll probably shoot for about the same on the 99, perhaps even a smidge more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad you got it sorted out

[for an engineer thats quite a feat grin grin

Norm]

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Norm! Carrying the engineer title is no easy task sometimes. If it helps, I started life working in a hardware store, garages, machine shops, etc. Although I have a "cushy" office job now, I still work on cars and dirtbikes regularly. It's what I enjoy. wink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Recruit

The LOP measures at 13". My 12 gauge with pad is at 14 1/2" and feels a better fit. I'll probably shoot for about the same on the 99, perhaps even a smidge more.

14.5" LOP is quite long for a rifle. Aiming and pointing involve slightly different parameters, especially if a scope is involve with the rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, there is also the issue of heavy clothing requiring a shorter LOP if you happen to hunt up north.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Recruit
Thanks Norm! Carrying the engineer title is no easy task sometimes. If it helps, I started life working in a hardware store, garages, machine shops, etc. Although I have a "cushy" office job now, I still work on cars and dirtbikes regularly. It's what I enjoy. wink

weeelll you,ve started on 99s ,so now tou can enjoy more grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.