24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just bought several Bark River Mini Canadians with 3v steel for Christmas presents and bought one for myself. What type sharpner would be best for this steel type?

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If those blades have the famous Bark River convex edge, keep them that way by using a loaded strop with compound.

LINK to the best deal going!

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/product_info.php?CDpath=&products_id=6348

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
diamond impregnated strop will keep it going a long time, 3v has quite of bit abrasion resistance so a mouse pad with with fine sand paper will hone it when needed.cranky72

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
Just bought several Bark River Mini Canadians with 3v steel for Christmas presents and bought one for myself. What type sharpner would be best for this steel type?

3V is a tough abrasion resistant steel, BUT if you want to keep the edge truly convex, you need to try to stay away from hard Diamond cards,rods etc made for micro beveled Flat and hollow ground blades.

I believe in keeping up a knife's edge by regular honing than to let it go dull then have to totally resharpen it. Even more so on a tough 3V blade. Also unless a convexed blade is damaged and/or need major edge reshaping I tend to even try to stay away from Sandpaper.

I would use a hard wood backed double sided leather strop charged with compound as a way to keep the edge sharp. Black Compound is the coarsest and will probably do the most for that 3V blade. I would skip the green compound and polish the edge the other side of the strop charged with fine white compound.

BTW, you can make cheap, very light compact "field" strops from some hard leather scraps and cut down paint mixing sticks from the local hardware store. Glue the leather to both sides and the result is about a 1x3 inch long 3/8" thick and weights about an ounce. Take it in the field with you and the minute that edge starts to dull up strop it out for a minute or so.

Actually that works well for just about any convexed blade made from 3V or not.. wink

Last edited by jim62; 12/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.