-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Hi, Gentlemen, I'm a longtime lurker/recent joiner with a question re: my Rem. N.A.Custom in '.06. It does not achieve the M.O.A. guarantee...close, but no load yet has done better than roughly 1.5", (factory or handloads). Come to discover it has a raised, V-shaped channel molded into the stock at the end of the forend to provide a contact point there. While I'm obviously familiar with the concept, I've never owned a Remington before (lifelong Sako guy), and I always thought they shot better completely free floated as one sees in the military Remingtons, A.I. products, etc. Torquing the guard screws to different levels of ft. lbs. doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Input from long time Remmy shooters?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay with SAKO. Remington QC has gotten so bad. Last 700 my smith was trying to rebarrel had the action threads 6 degrees off set (tilted) to the left of center. You'll never see that in a SAKO (or Tikka).

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Never say never friend, Sako's or Tikka's ain't perfect either..............Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
valhallabound, first Welcome to the Fire. smile Remove those two "speed bumps" in the stock to free float the barrel. See how it shoots then. Werks for many wink

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ah yes, all you have to do is mention Remington and there's always some drooler to make a pointless comment where he parrots something he read on his mommie's 'puter.
I have found that free floating is not always the straight road to Jerusalem that some would have you believe. I still have the pressure point in most of my Remingtons. They are sometimes sensitive to how much pressure. Try putting a biz card between the pressure point and the barrel and see if that helps. If you want to try free floating it, before you go hogging out the barrel channel, try this: using biz cards, punch some holes in them and use them for shims. Put them between on the action screws between the stock and the action. You may need a couple (or more) on each screw. This will lift the action out of the stock (free floating it) Do the dollar bill trick to make sure the barrel is free from the forearm. Tighten things down and try some shots this way.
By the way, have you checked to make sure the forearm is not touching the barrel at any point other than the pressure point? Have your taken the rifle apart for a through cleaning to make sure there are no errant wood or metal chips floating around?
What loads have you tried so far?

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Valhallabound,

Welcome! grin

A few years back I bought two identical Rem 700 CDL SF Limited's in 260 Rem. One for me and one for my daughter. I had mine's trigger touched up, free floated, glass and pillar bedded and the crown just kissed to clean up any burrs.

It is easily the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned with around 15 different loads that will go MOA and much better.

My daughter, "I" touched up the trigger and removed the two bumps up near the front end. The rifle did not shoot as accurately as the first.

Do what you will with this info; just saying.

Alan

V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! A lot of good input re: the alchemy of trying to diagnose this thing, although for what it cost it's a shame I have to do anything to it! I'll play around some more, maybe use some of stillbeeman's tips and see what I come up with.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The tariff on a remington is getting ridiculously high, so I agree, for the dollars you spend, it shouldn't need too much. The guys that spend a grand for a Kimber and then have to go to work on it are even sicker.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The tariff on a remington is getting ridiculously high, so I agree, for the dollars you spend, it shouldn't need too much. The guys that spend a grand for a Kimber and then have to go to work on it are even sicker.
I agree, this is some sad chit! not all Kimbers are dog's I'm sure but there are many according to the stories I read on the campfire....................Hb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.