Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Is there a decent peep that will bolt onto the rear scope mount holes? I don't want to drill any new holes.

I tried to call Williams 5 times today, but couldn't get through. They make a sight for the 700, but i'm unclear of how it mounts.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 12/20/11.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shot in the dark here, but also check with NECG ( New England Custom Guns)....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I took a look. I didn't see anything, except the style that uses a Weaver scope mount. Never liked those type.

Thanks.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK, sorry..I didnt know if they made anything or not...If Williams makes one for the scope base holes, dat would be skookum...Ive put a few of those on Marlin lever actions and really liked them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The WGRS mounts to the scope holes...not sure about the Foolproof or 5D. i would think not because 700s used to come D&T'd for side mount peeps. Call the Brownell's Tech line....they'll be able to help, and they sell Wiliams product.

advntrjnky

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Is there a decent peep that will bolt onto the rear scope mount holes? I don't want to drill any new holes.

I tried to call Williams 5 times today, but couldn't get through. They make a sight for the 700, but i'm unclear of how it mounts.

8mm-06 = perfection
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Very good. Thanks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have only encountered one Remington M700 with a peep sight
on it. Back in the 80s I was hunting in PA and an older gentleman walked by my stand and I spoke with him for a couple
of minutes, he had an older BDL in 7RM with a peep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Williams and XS Sights manufacture them. Are on my wish list for a roundtop Ruger, which is a rem 700 receiver profile.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All the 700's used to be drilled and tapped on the side for a receiver sight. Wish they still were, but it's a simple matter for a gunsmith to do so.

I like using a peep on a bolt rifle sometimes. Haven't in a while, but ya never know - I might just put one on again for the heck of it.

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pre-82ish, they were d&t on the side, that's about the same time the bolt-locking safety changed. Killed my first buck with a peep-sighted 700 BDL 22-250 circa 1980...

Wondering if the WGRS works with a standard front sight blade as it sits a bit higher than a side mount? Brownells would be the source for sure.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Probably will have to have a little taller front sight with the WGRS. I've used one some really like it. They're inexpensive also, around $39 or so as I recall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a williams on my Remington model 700 that uses the rear scope base holes. It works well and they don't cost that much. Bought it at Brownells.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Foolproof (or just FP now) also needs the stock inletted for the elevation slide. The WGRS, Williams Guide Receiver Sight mounts into the two rear scope mounting holes and sits completely on top of the receiver. Elevation changes are handled by sliding it up and down a ramp, exactly like the Remington stock rear sight.

www.midwayusa.com sells a kit consisting of both WGRS and a Firesight front sight of the correct height.

I had a WGRS on my 700 .30-06 back around 1976 and 77. Since it does not have click adjustments it is a bit more challenging to sight it in exactly but it�s not a big deal. It uses lock screws to hold everything in place and they work well, even under .30-06 level recoil. The BDL comb works well with that lower sight, if you have a CDL or SPS I couldn�t say how that would work.

I�m a big fan of peep sights. Wish I still had the 20-something year old eyes I did back then or I�d still be using them on high power bolt actions. They really improve the balance and handling and you can grab any bolt action completely around the middle for carrying. They do limit your range to how well your eyes can resolve the target, but most game is still shot within 200 yards, modern sniper rifles notwithstanding, so you aren�t limited all that much. I remember that jackrabbits, even running ones, were in serious danger out to 200 yards.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good info guys. Thanks for the help.

I'm an old guy (69) who is old school. I started to hunt with my dad in 1950. I never did like scopes the few times I tried one. My dad taught me to still hunt, and i've done it ever since. So, my hunting is always in timber, and 100yds would be my limit. My eyes are not great. I should say eye, because I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to switch to shooting left handed. It took awhile to get used to it, but if feels natural now.

I've hunted with my Winchester 94 30-30 a lot. It was a Christmas present on my 16th birthday. I've killed a lot of game with that gun. I also used a muzzleloader for awhile too. I'm probably done with that though.

I always wanted a Remington 700, so I bought a LH model built in 83. It's a BDL, so it has open sights. I could use the sights on it, but the rear sight is fuzzy. I'll do better with a peep. I have one on my Win 94, and it helps a lot.

I'm going to go with the WGRS, and maybe a FO front sight. Not sure about that though. I'll fool around with front sights to see what works better for me.

The gun came with a scope, and felt terrible. Balance was way off, and I couldn't get any kind of cheek weld. The stock if perfect for open sights.

The greatest joy in my life is still hunting timber on a nice crisp fall day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a "WGRS" RECEIVER SIGHT.

I had to replace the front sight.

It worked out pretty well.

That was in the early 90�s

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by temmi
I had a "WGRS" RECEIVER SIGHT.

I had to replace the front sight.

It worked out pretty well.

That was in the early 90�s

We're just talking about a little bit right? I don't want to lose the cheek weld.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Good info guys. Thanks for the help.

I'm an old guy (69) who is old school. I started to hunt with my dad in 1950. I never did like scopes the few times I tried one. My dad taught me to still hunt, and i've done it ever since. So, my hunting is always in timber, and 100yds would be my limit. My eyes are not great. I should say eye, because I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to switch to shooting left handed. It took awhile to get used to it, but if feels natural now.

I've hunted with my Winchester 94 30-30 a lot. It was a Christmas present on my 16th birthday. I've killed a lot of game with that gun. I also used a muzzleloader for awhile too. I'm probably done with that though.

I always wanted a Remington 700, so I bought a LH model built in 83. It's a BDL, so it has open sights. I could use the sights on it, but the rear sight is fuzzy. I'll do better with a peep. I have one on my Win 94, and it helps a lot.

I'm going to go with the WGRS, and maybe a FO front sight. Not sure about that though. I'll fool around with front sights to see what works better for me.

The gun came with a scope, and felt terrible. Balance was way off, and I couldn't get any kind of cheek weld. The stock if perfect for open sights.

The greatest joy in my life is still hunting timber on a nice crisp fall day.

Great Post. Merry Christmas to you.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
WGRS will usually come close to working with the stock sight. Just depends on how you want to be sighted in and what bullet weight/velocity you are using.

I've had nothing but great experiences with the WGRS. They are a much tighter, tougher, more compact design than the FP.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.