Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good reply Zookatx, but unnecessary (from my perspective) as your position needs no defense. It's clearly logical and correct, whereas his is not.
In other words, You da Man!

LOL
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh a HUGE difference
max load 270 WCF generic 130 gr bullet:
IMR 55 gr
H 54.3 gr
AA 53.5 gr

Since anyone who has ever read a reloading book knows that you should always start 10% below max, you'ld really have a hard time blowing up any modern rifle.

I'll bet any of you "experts" I can take any of these MAX loads, but them behind a 130 TSX w/a CCI 250 in my BOSS M70 Super Grade and the cases will just fallout when extracted. Let's make it the Newt/Romney bet of $10,000 .... okay ?

I should warn you first that I have shot that combo with ALL these powders at 56.5 gr, cases fall out, groups are sub moa and cases (Norma) are on reload #5.
From 35 below to 85 above zero @7-10,000'.

Easy to be "an expert" when you have not done it.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Easy to think you're an expert when you are really an idiot...

Best you go educate all them folks over the the reloading forum. Some of those folks don't have the benefits of your vast expertise and experience and realllllly like to talk with folks as profoundly insightful as you.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was going to say "a legend in his own mind" but well, its Christmas, so I won't. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't see any problems with what interthem is saying, but I do know that most of the reloaders I've met tend to be exceptional anal, slow and treat much of this as if it were voodoo.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the vote. There are those who do and those who post what they read somewhere else.
When you get your pressure transducer and test these loads, let us all know.
In any case the 130 TSX works fine in a 99 300 Savage.
Enjoy !

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Don't need a transducer, I use a computer modeling program and a chronograph. BTW what chronograph do you use on your load development, and how fast do all those loads you offered us go, out of what length barrel and with which primer and what COAL? Or do ya just glance at a factory cookbook, load em, shoot em and call it good? You were aware that at the relatively low pressure levels that Savage 300s are designed to max out at, traditional high pressure signs used for 270s, 30-06s, 5.56s, .308s etc don't show up, right?
As for "doing" (which you seem so concerned about), I just got back from an elk hunt a'horseback in the Frank Church in Idaho, shooting my new 300 WSM with the 180 grain Partition handloads I developed for it; I've shot two feral hogs on three hunts in the past month with my 458 SOCOM, and over the past few months I have worked up a bunch of different loads on a true wildcat (30-25 WSSM in an AR15 lower) for which there are zero zip nada book data, I literally started from scratch, modeled the actual cartridge dimensions into QL, loaded and shot 5 or 6 different powders and 4 different bullets, all over a chronograph, over a bunch of range trips, applied the results back into the modeling program, and went from there. I have it down to better than 30-06 speeds and sub-1 inch groups with a 180 grain Partition Protected Point. Also working on a 458 SOCOM load for the Barnes 300 TTSX but just in the early stages there. It is a tricky one because the SOCOM's max pressure is even lower than the 300 Savage's so traditional pressure signs only show up if you use pistol primers.
And one more time, there is no such thing as a "generic" 130 grain bullet; they come in all sorts of lengths. So if you load them all to the same overall length, some take up more room in the case than others. That means more pressure. The difference using for example your Hodgdon 4350 load for your 270 above between a Hornady soft point 130 and a Barnes TTSX 130, all other factors being equal, is 3500 PSI at that load. Fortunately it is also not even close to the max recommended pressure for that particular cartridge.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Why don't you all just go buy a box of Core-Locts, get off your fat asses, go shoot something behind the shoulder next year and come back here and report how it worked. Bet it won't make a [bleep] bit of difference between "SOCOM load for the Barnes 300TTSX but just in the early stages" and a .22 LR in the ear hole! The 99 has killed a lot of deer with 150's and 180's stacked in the same magazine. Geeezzz. Just enjoy your guns and what you do with them.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The reloading forum would be a good place to take this. I don't see how it relates to Savage collecting. read the thread on the 32-40 to get an idea of what works here,thats what this place is about. Listen to those blokes with all that knowledge disecting that rifle, beautiful

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+10, made my second longest kill (300+ yards) on a deer some fool shot the leg off of with 130 green box Remingtons ($14.00/box) with that same 270 BOSS M70 Super Grade. It would put 5 of the "crap ammo" into less than 3" @300.

The "expert" has no idea what the real pressures in any given gun with any given 130 gr bullet is. He's just telling us what he read somewhere. Factory barrels are not the same as ballistic lab pressure barrels. You have to start with YOUR rifle, YOUR bullet and YOUR starting load.

The 130 TSX load with 4198 in my R and EG (as well as several friends 99s) is a perfect example. You'll never see any "expert" writing in a gun magazine suggesting that combination, BUT facts are facts and targets, chronographs and dead deer sized game is the proof of the load.

He's just another "expert" who has to be right, so let him be.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man.. what a way to ruin the holiday season. Suspected it, took 2 minutes to find out for sure.

Larry/Oldman/Framis/etc. is back again. Mr. Expert of all things.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey guys, my bad. I should have asked about the 300 Savage load elsewhere. I thought of you guys first since it was specifically a Savage 99 I am loading for, and they are different than bolt guns. And those reloading/bolt gun guys are/aren't real _____________.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, you mean Mr Layaway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fireball2, perfect place to ask about loads. Happens about once or twice a month here.

But we'd been Larry free for about 6 months. He's been banned from this site about two dozen times, but he keeps coming back in with a new name and using his super-nifty internet ninja proxy routing software to foil Rick Bin's ban of his IP addresses.

But while we have him here....

Larry, what the heck did you do to get banned from gunbroker? Didn't think that was possible, but you managed. What's the story?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Notice he's still on other sites AKA wymtnrange. Tom

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sorry, gents, I got "sucked in" and wandered far from the original subject. My apologies. Just one last thing, back on the original topic/ question. Fireball, and those others who may try that "generic 4198" and 130 grain Barnes load mentioned on page 1, just be aware that it is a max load in QuickLoad, peak pressure with the IMR version is predicted to be slightly over 53,000 psi, which might be dicey in a 50 year old gun spec'd at 52,000 max in the factory....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This thread should have had a disclaimer-

Caution-

Since we are Lurker-rich here at the Fire, be aware that this topic may flush Larry(s) into participating.

Any Larry-like activity should be carefully scrutinized for B.S. content.

Confirmed Larry postings should be immediately reported to the moderator for de-Larryizing.

By the way, who's Larry? grin

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/23/11.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My disclaimer is that I'm new but perhaps that's a plus in that I can offer an unbiased observation:

interthem and ZookTx; Both of you seem to have a fair bit, in fact quite a bit of knowledge and experience relative to reloading. Perhaps one is more educated, meticulous, and/or experienced, etc. than the other in reloading. From at least my point of view, who gives a rip? I perceive both of you at a much higher level than me as the only knowledge I have of it is what I've been reading on this board, including from the both of you in this thread! But it's getting/gotten personal.

What I'm getting at is that the two of you probably have more in common than you think. You both reload, both are here in the Savage forum, both like to hunt, and neither has blown yourself up cause you're both still here typing away. crazy This combination probably represents far less than 1% of the population with a common ground.

Okay, maybe I have the tinted glasses on and just like to see everyone sit around the fire singing Kum-by-ya but can't we all just get along? whistle

Last edited by Recruit; 12/23/11.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hey fellas.. I was just jokin' about the Core-Lokts. I don't reload so I had to have something to interject! smile

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big_Iron
Hey fellas.. I was just jokin' about the Core-Lokts. I don't reload so I had to have something to interject! smile

Funny how "Corelokt's" and "jokin'" always seem to end up in the same sentence.

Sorry, too good to let go by unmolested laugh laugh laugh

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.