GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's hiding. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah, to be young again, and have some money at the same time.

Beautiful Sheep. Congratulations!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great job , waiting for the write-up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After applying in various parts of the state I decided this year to keep it simple and apply in my backyard. (Literally) Lo and behold I drew a tag. By no means does this unit have the caliber of Rams other units have such as the Missouri Breaks but there are nice mature Rams and almost all of the hunting takes place in designated Wilderness. In the snow years this hunt can be rather easy with many hunters in the past taking rams within spitting distance of the Highway. I had 2 goals on this hunt. I wanted to earn my Ram by putting on some miles and harvest him while hiking in and I really wanted to do it alone. I had friends that wanted to come and I would not have denied them but they ended up drawing other tags so were devoted to there own hunt. I had a friend join me on one hike. To top it off my wife's pregnant and sick as can be plus we have a 1 year old at home but she knew how rare a sheep tag is as she also hunts so I had unlimited freedom as needed and luckily have a very flexible job.

I knew this is a very tough early hunt. I did not start hunting until the first week of October even though it opened Sept 15th. The Season ran through Nov 27th so I had some time. By the time I started 2 Rams had been harvested right away but harvested up high. Part of the reason I started hunting in October is that this area in general is a very popular hiking/backpacking area so to me doing it alone didn't include hikers being active and with the nice fall we had there were plenty out. My first day out was our first snow of the season. (See Attached) I put on a good 12 miles the first day and cut same day tracks but the Sheep were on the move with the snow so no Sheep spotted. A few more subsequent trips and still no sheep spotted. I finally did about a 16 mile hike and I found a lone Ram track and followed it for quite some time. It cut in with other Sheep and all I saw were tracks disappearing as far as I could see so still no Sheep. (See Attached) On the hike out I hit a band of Ewes (See Attached) Finally I actually saw Sheep!!! The next hike I did was back to my first hike. As I was heading back I stopped on the last clearing and put the Glasses up and Spotted 3 Rams at the top of the Ridge. (See Attached) It looked brutal but made the mistake of leaving the Spotting scope at home so I decided to go for it. Two vertical dead ends and I found a way up. Saw one of the Rams at 120 yards. Was ready to roll but after he turned he wasn't quite what I wanted so passed and never saw the other 2. I was lucky he wasn't what I wanted as I barely made it back by rappelling down some scary stuff and hanging onto trees to avoid falling. It felt good to see Rams finally.
At this point I am getting nervous in the hunt. Few Sheep not much weather. I called the Biologist and discussed some with her and sent her a few pics. She gave me some good advise. (She liked the fact I wanted to earn it and had been trying to do so for a month now). Warm weather hit us so I put on the trail runners and went to check out a new area. No sheep but looked promising. I decided to focus on this area as I could see another drainage from it and spend some time glassing.

Attached Images
IMG_0521.jpg (69.46 KB, 231 downloads)
IMG_0545.jpg (52.5 KB, 217 downloads)
IMG_0548.jpg (94.52 KB, 218 downloads)
IMG_0557.jpg (59.7 KB, 208 downloads)
IMG_0555.jpg (75.51 KB, 195 downloads)
Last edited by Pete_E; 11/30/11. Reason: Spelling
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Next storm came so decided to check it out. as I was heading up a small ridge I saw another hunter paralleling me. He ended up hiking over to meet me and he was hunting Elk. He joined me for the hike up and stated in years past he had seen Sheep here. Halfway up A Ewe and Lamb were spotted. After getting to the top (Snowing heavy now) we saw a stream of Ewes coming into the basin. No Rams but was looking good for future hunts. I was now hiking in every other day or so and every day saw more Sheep. So far all Ewes but with the Rut kicking in they would be here soon. On a hike out I hit one of the other Sheep Hunters (3 of us left to harvest) We had a good visit (Father and Son and the Son drew the tag and the lucky kid drew a goat tag and already harvested his goat) We exchanged info and he had the info of the other hunter so all 3 of us kept in touch. I had been running into a few Elk hunters which seemed odd as I had yet to see an Elk. Also the other Sheep hunter had seen Grizzly tracks so that was good to know as we have had quite a few run ins this year around here. I always carry spray even with my rifle. The Next day a major storm blew in with zero visibility. It cleared around 1 or so so I decided to just go for a drive and glass some different areas. I stopped by the other hunters camp and he was just heading out to see if anything had been going on. I saw nothing from the road so still no Sheep down low. Next day I went up and hit a group right away with RAMS!!!. The storm pushed some new Sheep in. One looked to be a shooter but I wasn't going to shoot without a good look in the Spotting Scope. Before I could get set up some Elk hunters up high spooked this group and up and over they went. I decided to follow thinking they would mill around over the ridge. 4 hours later of knee deep ball busting snow I had yet to see them. (See attached) I hit the top and bailed out. I saw the other Sheep hunter in the bottom but the wind picked up something fierce so I bailed out of there. I found out the next day he got his Sheep the day before when he went out for the late afternoon hike. I got a Pic and it was indeed a nice Ram

Attached Images
IMG_0570.jpg (52.81 KB, 208 downloads)
IMG_0572.jpg (71.43 KB, 214 downloads)
IMG_0575.jpg (68.25 KB, 203 downloads)
IMG_0579.jpg (64.16 KB, 210 downloads)
Last edited by Pete_E; 11/30/11. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am down to a week and a few days. Some weather moving in with some cold. I got up high and started hitting sheep but no shooter Rams in the bunch. I kept going and saw quite a group bedded in a big bowl. I then looked up and saw some Elk hunters crossing the upper end. I tried waving them off but they had no binoculars. They spooked the whole group and a final 4 sheep got up and one was a Shooter Ram. I decided to see if I could track him down as he had 3 Ewes with him. I met the Elk hunters coming out who felt pretty bad after they realized what they had done but this part of the price of Public land. Better guys hiking than riding around in a pickup so hard to get mad. Another 3 hours and two ridges of Ball busting snow. I am left looking at tracks. I need to learn that its tough to run down Sheep. I hike out and decide I need a few days off. (This was Sunday) Let the Sheep move in and figure there will be little if any pressure during the week. Some more weather moves in so I head out Thursday. I hit Sheep right away. One decent Ram but I decide to pass. I continue hiking and hit the Mother load. The wind is ripping in my favor so I belly crawl to the only lone tree in sight and get the spotting scope out. Lots of Rams but only one sticks out. I decide to take him.

200 Yard Shot. I hit him perfect the first shot and sheep scatter. He doesn't
move but doesn't go down. (I don't know it was a good hit at this point I just know I hit him)) I am not into tracking wounded Sheep so hit him again and he's down for good. After I get over there I am more than happy. It had been a great hunt, lots of country covered and lots of highs and lows. I relish the moment (hit the brandy flask and put a chew in) and take some pictures. Some Sheep have moved in above me and while I am working on him. Rams are butting heads and snorting and doing crazy Rut stuff. There was no wind where they were so it was a great day. 2 trips out ( I decide to take bone in quarters so I could hang him for a few days. I have a week left of our Elk, Deer Season. I get an Elk Sunday. I decide on a change of pace and decide to hunt River Bottom Whitetails over Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day I see a tall heavy 2 x3 whitetail. I decide to hunt him. After an hour of cat and mouse He makes a mistake and I catch him backtracking. Great looking old buck. What a great end to the season.

Attached Images
IMG_0597.jpg (65.72 KB, 268 downloads)
IMG_0609.jpg (56.78 KB, 232 downloads)
IMG_0610.jpg (54.07 KB, 254 downloads)
IMG_0614.jpg (52.11 KB, 239 downloads)
IMG_0631.jpg (79.89 KB, 450 downloads)
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the write up and additional pics. What a dream hunt, and you definitely did it right. Congratulations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete - you da man!

Thank you so much for the write-up(s)...You've lived my dream. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the story. Great season.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I concur with all the great praise, job well done. Love the pictures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, that's the kind of terrain I want to hunt sheep in!

No more of this death-defying, mountain climbing, cliff negotiating, river fording, impassible alder thicket bullcrud.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story! Great season! Congrats!

I love sheep hunting storys. Especially the ones that involve such a tuff hunt. Its not for the faint of heart.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the story Pete. This hunt is just a dream for most people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
awsome stuff

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Wow, what the adventure, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on a fantastic season.

Corey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what an awesome season! Not soon to be forgotten, I am sure! CONGRATS

Andrew
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It is for sure one I won't forget. It's almost depressing that the season is over. Time to shoot some ducks I guess

J
J
Wow! What a great hunt. Suprised you had that much company but I guess that country really gets pounded anymore. Nice clutch moves on the Deer & Elk too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.