Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Herter's rifles I have seen have been the U9 action. BSA as I recall. At least they look like they are BSA. And, as mentioned there was the J9 too.
But back then BSA denied that they made the actions, so who knows what the true story is?
They seemed to work okay.

Retired cat herder.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I have a J9 in 6mm Rem in my safe that my dad bought new in the 60's; nice rifle. I've since dropped it in a Boyd's laminate (Yugo 48); factory stock was too gaudy with the lighting bolt spacers. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

for some reason, you see a lot of them in 6mm.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a .30-06 U9 barreled action from Herter's back in the mid 60's. Also one of their semi-inleted stocks. It was my first centerfire rifle.

In the late 70's I had it rechambered to .30 Gibbs. It was an elk killing machine, getting me an elk almost every year for over 30 years, also a couple of moose, a caribou, a mountain goat, and the list goes on.

Unfortunately, a case fireforming mishap about 5 years ago swelled the chamber and damaged the bolt. I had a gunsmith re-cut the chamber and he worked on the bolt, but it wasn't the same, so I retired it.

That was my favorite rifle for many years...

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by high_country_

The bolt release is a good trick to play on someone! This one locks the bolt down with the safety, but the tang is broken that engages the bolt. I will post some pics....its no beauty queen.

One of the three I have is opposite the other two ans it took me a while to figure it out. I don't know why they are that way, I just know they are.

My .243 U9 is Rosie O'Donnel ugly. But... it puts 80 grain TTSXs into 1/2 inch and 95 grain XLCs into one ragged hole. How's that song go? "yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook".

The .243 is in a Herters western style (gaudy) stock with lightning bolt white line spacers. The 30-06 is in a more classic style Herters stock with no spacers and a little figure. The 300 WM is in a BSA stock.

If your trigger is the problem with the bolt release I have a spare and there's a guy selling one in ebay. The trigger is adjustable on them, but only in the barest sense of the word.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to drool over the catalog of laminated, recurve bows.
They sold ( and I copied ) the draw rest.
A steel rod with a grip one could hold a bow at full draw ( as long as your hand cold grip )

I ended up with forearms like Popeye!
When did Herters fold?
Early '70s?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by high_country_

The bolt release is a good trick to play on someone! This one locks the bolt down with the safety, but the tang is broken that engages the bolt. I will post some pics....its no beauty queen.

One of the three I have is opposite the other two ans it took me a while to figure it out. I don't know why they are that way, I just know they are.

My .243 U9 is Rosie O'Donnel ugly. But... it puts 80 grain TTSXs into 1/2 inch and 95 grain XLCs into one ragged hole. How's that song go? "yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook".

The .243 is in a Herters western style (gaudy) stock with lightning bolt white line spacers. The 30-06 is in a more classic style Herters stock with no spacers and a little figure. The 300 WM is in a BSA stock.

If your trigger is the problem with the bolt release I have a spare and there's a guy selling one in ebay. The trigger is adjustable on them, but only in the barest sense of the word.

The trigger is the issue. Can you toss a link to eBay...I did not see it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I had two U-9s (.22-250 & .25-06) that I bought new in the mid-70s, not long before Herter's either went under or stopped selling guns. I don't recall either rifle being incredibly accurate, but they were well made. Nice wood and the inletting / stock work was very good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bbassi
This thread would be much better with some pictures.

Just saying.

Not a good close up...but heres a Herters .300 Win on a 98 action...

And yeah...theres no scope on it..

[Linked Image]

Who IS that errant child running around the bush, circa 1987...? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I added a pic to the first page.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe

Just saying.

[Linked Image]

Tell the truth....you uglied that zebra too death didn't you! whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It is a Herters model U9, I had Herters build me a rifle back in the early 70's BSA Monarch action ,Douglas barrel, and their own wood looked just like the one in the picture, except mine was in 458 Win. and was $160 , I loved that rifle, but a buddy of mine, actually ,a son of R.J. Reynolds had a brand new Rokon RT 340 motorcycle, around $2700 then and he just had to have that gun, traded even for it !!!!!! crazy crazy grin

Last edited by Loggah; 12/22/11.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had the j9 (mauser action) in 25-06. It was a tack driver.Stolen out of my car. I still have a u9 (BSA) in 223 REM.. It to is a Prarie dog killing machine. I have put about 15000 rounds thru it and I bought it used. Still shoots 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I also had a U9 in 22-250. Not so much a shooter. It did not stay at my place very long. Oh yes the bolt release on the 223 has issues but I just slide a thin strip of metal between the bolt and the action tang and slide the bolt out.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Dewd cool rifle. Looks like a fantastic candidate for simple refinishing; check out the MidwayUSA/Miles Gilbert kit w/ instructional DVD if you're interested.

If you decide to do an altogether new stock, you might consider contacting our own Karnis who does some great work... I just sent him a Boyd's JRS Classic in AA French Walnut for some refinement.

I love these cool old rifles, even the ones with the kinda gaudy "California style" stocks...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by djs
IIRC, I believe Herter�s used BSA and FN actions for long cartridges and Sako actions for short cartridges. After all, everything offered by George Herter was the "world's greatest", according to his advertisements. smile

....or Model Perfect

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just saying.

Okay, Here's a couple with my U-9 after I rechambered it to .30 Gibbs. I shot this elk in 1977 and the moose a few years later. Both DIY hunts in Montana.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by ingwe

Just saying.

[Linked Image]

Tell the truth....you uglied that zebra too death didn't you! whistle

Uglied??? shocked

I was a sexy beast back in the day!! cool

And only slightly delusional.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dood...I even had hair back then!!!! grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Just saying.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Top to bottom:

Herters U9 300 WM in a BSA stock. Zeiss 1.5-6x42

Herters U9 .243 Win in a Herters stock. Bushnell that I am afraid to touch the gun shoots so well.

Herters U9 30-06 in a plainer (nicer figuring on the other side) stock. Swarovski 1.5-6x42.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is like the middle one....hollow bolt knob. It wears kesslrings rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a U9 in 270 years ago. It was accurate by any sporting rifle standard.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.